Other Good Time Management Books?

mondo

Registered
Another one for those who manage teams is "The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey". Another book on the same theme is "Monkey Business" (although I don't think this is as well written)

Basically, Monkeys are next actions that often get delegated upwards, so the book is about delegating properly, having proper reviews to ensure the monkey gets fed (i.e. not forgotten). This is a Waiting For approach that uses meetings to track the WF's.

Mardo

Registered
Books

I have two books that I have found useful. Both are as a complement to all that GTD is.
The first I heard about I think through the GTDPalm list serv on yahoo. Its called "The War of Art" Break though the Blocks and Win your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield.( He is the author of the Legend of Bagger Vance) Its about battling procastination as a writer but its written in such a way that it can be used for anyone for anything in battling procrastination. Its short, witty and and very inspiring. The guy who wrote the introduction which is short did a great job. the last section talks about muses and angels. That may be a stretch for many readers but dont let hold you back from reading the book.

The second book you have probably seen in most bookstores. Its The Power of Full Engagement Managing Energy not Time is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz.
These two guys were and are coaches for athletes altho in coaching athletes they don't coach them as to the mechanics of their sport. They define and work with althletes to perform consistently at the highest levels under intense competitive pressure. What they found was that energy was the X factor. As word spread of their success other groups began to use it and they found that the performance demands that most people face in everyday work enviorments dwarf those of professional athletes. Why? althletes train 90% of the time to perform 10% of the time, they have very specific routines for mananging energy, have an off season, and dont do this for many years.
They say in order for the rest of us to have great performance we must become coporate althletes. Among other things they suggest a series of rituals or habits that allow for down time even if only for a few minutes. The book is well written with great explanations on how to perform at your highest capacity. I found it well worth the money and am working as a GTD project at incorporating some of this into my life.

mondo

Registered
In the flavour of the GTD and Zen discussion, I would also have to suggest "Do Less, Achieve More" by Chin-Ning Chu

E

earlofmar11

I just finished another nice one today: "Get Everything Done and Still Have Time to Play by Mark Forster. You can check out his website on www.markforster.net. It is not a big book, but it's well written and contains some nice ideas, among others:

- Before applying any system or technique, you should make an inventory of all things requiring your attention; as you can only do so much, a first step is to weed out the superfluous things, else you'll just end up processing trivia more efficiently.

- He proposes to work in focused bursts of determined duration, rotating through a series of projects/activities, in order to benefit from what he calls the "end-effect", which says that you get more done if you have a definite end time looming over you (like before you leave on vacation).

- To decide what to work on next, you should pick the activity towards you feel the most resistance, as that will generally be the thing that really needs to be done. Moreover, once these are out of the way, the rest of your day is easier, and it generates a sense of achievement and satisfaction, while doing away with stress, whichy tends to build up as you give in to resistance.

The subject of resistance is also extensively covered in "The War of Art" mentioned previously, which I also warmly recommend (I was the one mentioning it on GTD_Palm, by the way).

MArc.

A

Anonymous

TIME MANAGEMENT TRINITY

To kkirksey,

Just noticed your post: a year or two ago I wrote an essay on the GTD forum run by Marria on Delphi forums about how these three books inter-lock.

Covey gives the best guidance on how to navigate the 50,000 foot level, GTD helps you track all of the commitments you bring back from the 50,000 foot level, and Mackenzie makes damn sure you DO stuff.

As a P.S. to that essay I wrote that Anthony Robbins will provide the rocket to get you to the 50,000 foot level: I for one need to be reminded from time to time that I have a right to make plans for my own life.

Dave

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Another good book

Here is another good book:

"Managing multiple projects" by Irene and Michael Tobis. There is an excellent section in there on differentiating between tasks on master lists and a weekly commitment list. There is also a nice spreadsheet example to determine your current level of commitment and therefore if you can reasonably take on a new project. Very worthwhile reading, I believe.

Regards,
Longstreet :)

A

Anonymous

Best Time Management Books of All Time

Of all the time management books that I have read the best books of all times are below:

1. Getting Things Done
2. What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School by late Mark McCormack
3. The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker
4. First Things First by Stephen Covey, et al.

In fact, Mark McCormack was the first person to write that he had the habit of noting whatever was on his mind and ensure that the relevant thing would pop up at the right time. That way he would keep his mind free and effective. DA on the other hand goes much more beyond the assertion and gives a comprehensive and detailed nuts and bolts on implementing the scheme.

Frankly, if one could internalize and implement GTD properly, other books would not be necessary. For those who have read it between the lines GTD is much more than a book on time management.

Ashok Atluri

Quote: If only I had spent my time on managing my time rather than reading books about managing my time, I would be a much better person today.

A

Anonymous

books

Thanks for all the book listings. I copied them into a document and forwarded to some professional couples I know having these same time and organizing issues. I am new to this site and look forward to the "Human Aspect" of GTD. I just started my own rep agency (1rep just me) and have a little more time to "Get off my backside"...or is that GOMBS. Have only read Ready for Anything and bought the CDs to listen to while driving and waiting at Airports. Thanks again for the insight.
Jeff

silvia225

Registered
"How to Get control of your Time and Your Life" - Alan Lakein
"The Time Trap" - Alec Mackenzie
"Do It Tomorrow" - Mark Forster

and GTD - David Allen, of course.

TesTeq

Registered
Commitments management.

David Allen's books are not about time management. They are about commitments management.

abhay

Registered
Random comments

Any book about time management is not about time management.

But I found GTD from the links on the "time management" page on wikipedia!

And in the MIAW interview at FreeLibrary, DA says that you don't need to read any other book on time management after MIAW!

"Time management" names a subject familiar to everybody, though many don't know that the name does not suit the subject!

Regards,
Abhay

sarah_9

Registered
Hello,

Time management is the hottest topic to discuss, it is related to our day to day life and we all follow our unique techniques to maintain our time management, some time books and keynotes also help us in managing our time.

Regards,
sarah_9

JohnV474

Registered
Other recommended books

I have read Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey, and Tony Robbins and others, but after finding David Allen, those fell into obsolescence.

However, I do recommend the classic Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. It is a "top-down" approach, so to speak, but it works well with GTD as far as keeping your 10k-50k views clear.

JohnV474

sarah_9

Registered
Hello,

If you are looking for time management books consider Clemmer`s work, it is pretty good and helpful.

Regards,
sarah_9

P

productivity

I'm also looking for time management books I can get a hold of. Thanks for your wonderful shares.

bishblaize

Registered
T Man Book

GTD is a little exclusive, in that its a system that precludes any other pure "time management" books.

That said GTD is mainly about "how to do the things you want to do". Thats different from "what do you want to do" and "what else is stopping you".

in the "what do you want to do" vein, First Things First is really excellent as other said. I close my eyes when I get to some parts, but the parts about balancing your life, paying attention to all your roles and particularly about making a contribution, are excellent.

In terms of "what else is stopping you", Neil Fiore's "the now habit" is really superb. Again, i close my eyes early on when he mentions ABC priorities - instead i focus on the really excellent and insightful work on emotionally intelligent people procrastinate.

smithshn

Registered
"Time is a valuable"

Time is a valuable thing for any person.
Each movement is valuable for any work to the person.
I also think it is important to have a system that you can implement a part at a time.
For doing any effective work or productive work in time has required fresh thoughts and excited mind.