Ouch

StephenMeyer

Registered
There's a little fellow called Sod who has a law.

It goes like this:

2 days after you buy GTD folders they drop the price 4 bucks.

Ah, life as an early adopter. :grin:

Stodge

Registered
Convince Me

Are these folders really that great?

I'm a great fan of GTD and have bought both books, the Outlook white paper and the notetaker wallet from davidco. However, I currently use plastic wallets as my folders all neatly labelled with my Brother labeller.

Can anyone who has these travelling folders convince me to buy them as well?

please bear in mind that i'd probably by a David Allen branded toaster if the book contained an @toaster context! :)

Ian

StephenMeyer

Registered
Ah dear Stodge, you are but a babe in the woods. How about note taker wallet, both books, all the CD's (apart from GTD Fast, a copy of which I am desperate to get) the white papers of both outlook and entourage... need I go on?

My bank thinks I divorced david and pay him maintainance, my wife is convinced that he blackmails me and still I get little things done (as apposed to big things?)

Stodge

Registered
And of course we both forgot to list our subscriptions to GTD Connect!

I assume you haven't got the folders yet so I will await comments from other members. I'd also be interested to hear about the usefulness of the templates. I've pretty much avoided the temptation there as I see them as a repetition of the content of the book so a little redundant in my current system as I have replicated all of the info I have a regular need of.

rknapp

Registered
Stodge said:
Are these folders really that great?
Can anyone who has these travelling folders convince me to buy them as well?

Ian

I cannot convince you to buy them but I fell to a whim at the last Seattle seminar and use them daily. The main factor is they are heavy duty. I had a nice collection of labeled plastic folders but they look pretty ratty after 6 months.

If anyone drinks coffee that costs more than $2.00 a cup they can afford to add these to their collection. If someone is refilling bottled water containers they might keep using the less expensive option for now. :)

Bob...

rknapp

Registered
pixlz said:
I am in the UK and so use A4 paper. Will it fit into these?

Thanks
Sharon

Sharon,

My trusty printer interface says A4 is 210 mm x 297 mm.

The folder measures 230 mm x 296 mm before the bottom starts to expand to increase capacity. This is with my inexpensive plastic ruler.

Bob...

Stodge

Registered
rknapp said:
Sharon,

The folder measures 230 mm x 296 mm before the bottom starts to expand to increase capacity. This is with my inexpensive plastic ruler.

Bob...

That sounds like a 'NO' then. They would have to be Foolscap (432 x 342 mm) to be of any use to me as the edges of my A4 paper would quickly get damaged. It looks as though i'm sticking with my plastic pocket folders for now then.

Any comments on the GTD templates from anyone?

Ian Noble

Registered
Stodge said:
That sounds like a 'NO' then. They would have to be Foolscap (432 x 342 mm) to be of any use to me as the edges of my A4 paper would quickly get damaged. It looks as though i'm sticking with my plastic pocket folders for now then.

Any comments on the GTD templates from anyone?

I have the folders - measuring against a sheet of A4 paper the width of the folder is exactly the same width, so the A4 sheets dont stick out the sides unless they are sitting at an angle. I think they'd be fine in a briefcase (the folders are designed for travelling rather than being project files). You get a clear plastic folder you can keep all the folders in if you are carrying them in a backpack or similar, I'd prefer not to have use that for ease of access purposes so i'm looking for something different instead of a backpack / rucksack.

I have the templates and am impressed with them. Handy to have a 'quick reference' guide to gtd - they're laminated and pretty sturdy :)

pixlz

Registered
Thank you

rknapp said:
Sharon,

Bob...

Thanks Bob - Close enough, I'm sure the extra mm won't cause a problem.

Sharon

Stodge

Registered
Thanks TesTeq.

Sharon, I'd appreciate a UK perspective on the folders if you get them and a kind of mini A4 based review would be cool.

Cheeers

Ian

Edith

Registered
I am based in the UK and have been using the folders for a few weeks now, so yes I bought them at the pre-discount price! They are good quality, stand up well to being taken in and out of a case and having lots of pages stuffed into them! They take A4 sheets and the sheet does not protrude. I would recommend them. In fact I think I'll buy an extra set since they are now reduced!

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Products like our folders...

Frankly, the main reason we even started to consider creating products like these folders is because when I would happen to show people how I managed paper while I moved around, all sorts of folks complained that we didn't sell them! They didn't want to have to go find them and make them themselves. So we said, what the heck... if you want to pay us to make them, we'll do that. If you don't, have at making your own. I did for years. And yes, it took us quite a long time to get the right kind of plastic and get the labels clear but unobtrusive. - David

darlakbrown

Registered
Love the folders

I've been using the folders since they first came out. They are incredibly sturdy and withstand a lot of abuse. I have 3 offices and they go everywhere with me. I used to try the manila folders but they always got ruined and papers lost/bent. Now I keep everythin in the plastic carrying case. They've been great for me.

jkgrossi

Registered
DavidAllen said:
Frankly, the main reason we even started to consider creating products like these folders is because when I would happen to show people how I managed paper while I moved around, all sorts of folks complained that we didn't sell them! They didn't want to have to go find them and make them themselves. So we said, what the heck... if you want to pay us to make them, we'll do that. If you don't, have at making your own. I did for years. And yes, it took us quite a long time to get the right kind of plastic and get the labels clear but unobtrusive. - David

Well, I got mine well before you started selling them, and let me reiterate that they were not easy to find! However, I've been using them for about 3 years and they're well worth the price if you consistently carry material in a briefcase.

Jim