• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Outlook Add-in: What Goes in Each Action Bucket

I'm learning the GTD method, and at the same time trialing the GTD Outlook Add-in. My plan is to teach this to others at our company.

I understand the larger concept, and feel that once I get used to the basic implementation concepts I will be off and running. I'm in the process of triaging/redeploying an existing Outlook mailbox with lots of folders. I need some help better understanding the built-in Actions and how to best use them when sifting through my stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a list of each of the basic "Actions" and what types of things go in each one.

@Agenda
@Anywhere
@Calls etc...

Also, any tips using the basic contructs of the Add-in for non email originated planning purposes. For exampe, I'm starting a new project. Do I just start with tasks? or do I send emails to myself as means of caputring the discrete elements.
 
As far as what contexts to use and what to use them for, this is a personal decision. If you search this board you will see a few threads in which people list the contexts that work for them.

I know of no better way for you to get this done than to start with the default contexts and see if there are some you never use (or forget to look at) - delete them. Maybe you will see the need to add a new context. Whatever helps you get things done is the right thing to do. For example, I don't use the @anywhere context, and I put all my work-related calls in @office not @calls - works for me!

Re: starting a project...
I often start with the tasks. I create the new project, then brainstorm a list of tasks. I put the list in the note section of the project master task if I think that the actions will be quite far in the future (months). I see them at each weekly review and can create active next actions from them as needed. For actions that are really next, I create outlook tasks immediately.
 
Top