Outlook dowload vs PDF file?

F

fmkjr19

Hello,

I searched through the archives but must have missed this answer:

Does the PDF version teach me how to set up everything to be the same as the automated download?

Other than the automation in the download what is the value difference? thanks

bassdrone42

Registered
The Value is the Automation

There are a number of steps the add-in will do for you automatically when you handle messages that if you have to them manually (like creating actions, tracking delegations through tasks etc.) you simply won't do.

I tried the download for a while and loved it. (I haven't made the purchase yet.....I'd like the company to do that for me)

I think you would find it well worth the $.

F

fmkjr19

I downloaded the trial

I downloaded the trial and do like the macros, etc. I was hoping the pdf instructions would teach me how to write the macros too...

thanks
frank

BrianK

Registered
The PDF will not teach you how to write the macros. If what you want is some automation of various things (creating tasks from emails, tracking delegated projects, etc.), then the add-in is what you want. The PDF has instructions on how to set up views, categories, and folders to best take advantage of Outlook's capabilities in a GTD context. No automation. But I thought it provided very good information and was well worth the $30 I paid a while ago, before it dropped.

R

redknife

Add-in vs. the PDF file

The PDF file basically helps you learn how to use standard Outlook to support the GTD methodology. The add-in makes fundamental and complex changes to Outlook in order to make it a better GTD support tool. Based on my two+ years of experience with the add-in, I recommend it without reservation. With the add-in, you'll have an extra tool bar on your message screen that allows you to set up a next action on each message. The add-in also significantly simplifies the weekly review. The add-in takes some study--it helps to devlop solid understanding of the GTD philosophy--but it is well worth it when you can fully implement GTD.

Steve

F

fmkjr19

thanks-also anyone know any good books on outlook

redknife said:
The PDF file basically helps you learn how to use standard Outlook to support the GTD methodology. The add-in makes fundamental and complex changes to Outlook in order to make it a better GTD support tool. Based on my two+ years of experience with the add-in, I recommend it without reservation. With the add-in, you'll have an extra tool bar on your message screen that allows you to set up a next action on each message. The add-in also significantly simplifies the weekly review. The add-in takes some study--it helps to devlop solid understanding of the GTD philosophy--but it is well worth it when you can fully implement GTD.

Steve

Thanks for the information. On a side note... do you know any good books (or sites) to take outlook to a new level? ie doing macros, etc.
frank