• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Outlook Implementation

  • Thread starter Thread starter iTISTIC
  • Start date Start date
I

iTISTIC

Guest
Was just wondering what the best way was to implement GTD within Outlook.

Currently I use Contact records and a custom "Project" form and enter projects there, denoted by their names in brackets []. In these projects I list all of the actions that belong to that project, along with the goals of the project, and any notes regarding that project.

I use Categorized Tasks for my Next Actions. I have different categories (Home, Computer, Programming, Phone, Email, etc.) that I categorize my Next Actions into.

My MAIN problem is that after an action is completed, I have to manually open the project, see what the next action is, and create a new categorized Task for that next action. Sometimes I become very lazy and do not do this, only because I may complete 2-3 actions in a very short period of time and there is no reason to create the next actions when I am just going to do them. By doing this, however, I feel I am in a way cheating the system.

Basically I just want to find out how others are using Outlook without the Add-In. I downloaded the add-in trial a few months back and wasn't very impressed which is why I decided to just use basic Outlook.

I have access to all Microsoft products (Word, Outlook, OneNote, etc.). I've looked into implementing GTD in OneNote but my concern there is lack of reminders and alarms (which I desperately need to keep focused).

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, flames (haha), anything really - would be greatly appreciated.
 
HEre ya go...

I was the same way so I found this on the GTD site:

GTD Outlook Implementation

It has been really helpful and takes you through step-by-step. Well worth the money.

Hope that helps.

Bob
 
Top