Outlook implementation

sribri

Registered
Could someone share in detail how they have implemented GTD in Outlook. I have gone though the Outlook white paper and have been partially sucessful in implementing it.

I would like to hear from others how they have modified the sytem. My challenge has been processing and handling of emails. The steps suggested in the white paper seem to be too much of overhead and hence I mostly skip it. Every week I write/ rewrite list of projects in notes section and review where I am with respect to those. I mark deadlines on the calender as all day events. Even with this limited implementation i have derived great benefits.

Sri

johnaohman

Registered
GTD, TWC, and Clear Context

I also read TWC and found it very helpful .. .. not exactly like GTD but takes much of it's best features and "puts a little more structure" to it. This has personally been very helpful for me. I also purchased Clear Context which I've found incredibly useful.

P

phlow

Personally, i am very happy with the NetCentrics Add-in. it's NOT perfect, and it DOES add some overhead, but it DOES work.

i would call it an 85% solution. well worth the money i spent on it.

i have a very very solid trusted system build around Outlook/Netcentrics which is not too tough to maintain.

whitesco

Registered
I think DavidCo's whitepaper is really good, too. No mods to Outlook required. I bought it years ago when it was $30 and have used that setup ever since with only a few very minor tweaks -- it was worth every penny of that and the $10 price now is even better IMHO.

Having said all that I have not yet reat TWC but I've ordered it (come on, Amazon!). It may or may not have a similar approach.

clango

Registered
Outlook implememtation Task bar

:)
Dear gtd's friends even if I live in Italy I found very simple implement outllok looking at the recomendation I bought from the web site.

The only things I cannot realize is to have in calendar view, task view, the category bar of only one line as you can see on the manual. It seems to me to be wider than two lines.

Tomorrow I'll try to modify the old tasks and category. I'll tell you what'll happen.

Then I recovered at the office an old card index and I started to prepare the first folders.

I feel very comfortable, more relaxed even if I feel sometimes in confusion for all the changes in my organisation.

Regards from Italy

Claudio

N

Nellas

Big Wes;44489 said:
I read GTD and TWC back-to-back and it really helped me get the most out of Outlook. It walks you through some creating some custom views to make Outlook more GTD-centric.

Check the book out here:http://www.amazon.com/Total-Workday-Control-Microsoft-Outlook/dp/0974930415/sr=8-1/qid=1166707266/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6572225-5264119?ie=UTF8&s=books

I just picked up this book and let me say that it was an AMAZING resource that opened up incredible new ideas for me in how I use Outlook with GTD's approaches.

P

plapointe

Microsoft Outlook Courses On-line

sribri;44488 said:
My challenge has been processing and handling of emails. The steps suggested in the white paper seem to be too much of overhead and hence I mostly skip it.
Sri

SRI:
There are some wonderful tutorials on line, organized by subject. These are not specific to GTD, just to Outlook.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR061832721033.aspx

Take some time to identify the areas you need to improve to increase your efficiency with Outlook. Then locate a tutorial to help you out. Take a small task at a time, learn a little bit, implement it and see how it fits into your existing system. Then identify another need you have and try to find a tutorial on that one! Little steps will keep you from getting overwhelmed at all there is to learn out there.

Good luck with this and let us know what you've found most helpful.
Pamela

DHK

Registered
One area that I "improved" upon the whitepaper was the use of files within all-day calendar "tasks".

Being in a sales capacity, I need to keep track of calls to new prospects, calls to existing clients and tracking all of my activities.

I've had spreadsheets for all of them, but due to my own A.D.D. and the fact that "if something isn't in front of me it won't get done" - I've implemented another way of doing things.

Create an appointment.
Make it an "All Day" appointment.

DO NOT create a recurring schedule.

Instead, set the dates of the "All Day" task for whatever works for this purpose. (For example, my activities tracking spreadsheet is set for every day until the end of the year.) So you set the appointment for today through 12/31/2007.

Color/label it any color that will make it stand out to you as a required task.

And you're done!

You can test it by opening the file from one day and make a change. Save it. Then open the file from a different calendar day. If your modification is still there, you can rest assured that its the SAME FILE throughout the days that you specified.