Outlook TaskPad View

Julia

Registered
I've used Outlook's tasks for a long time now, and know how to configure the views, set up group by and sorting, etc... even conditional formatting.

I just started using the taskpad on the calendar view, though. I thought it would be great to view my hardscape and next actions together, but I'm getting frustrated.

I have Outlook 2002. When I set up the view how I want it (for the taskpad), there is an option at the bottom of the "group by" box that let's you put in a default for expand/collapse/as last viewed.

Can anyone tell me how to make this work? No matter what I have for the setting, it doesn't work consistently. For example, I think I want it as "as last viewed" so that I can collapse the contexts that aren't currently available to me (ex. while at home, I can close the @Errands, @Work, etc). But then, if I switch to something else (ex. Contacts) and then back, everything is collapsed again.

Any ideas would be most appreciated...

Thanks,
Julia

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Here's my setup in Outlook 2002:

Customize Current View (right mouse click)
Group By ...

Group items by: Categories (Ascending)
Then by: (none)
Select available fields from: Frequently-used fields
Expand/collapse defaults: All collapsed

I tried each of the three expand/collapse defaults and they all work for me. You have the "Group items by" set to the Categories field, right?

Mark

Julia

Registered
Hmmm...

I have my settings just like you listed.

All collapsed and all expanded work.... but "as last viewed" doesn't.

If I have some categories expanded and some collapsed, then leave the view... they are all collapsed again when I return.

Maybe some other setting overrides it?

BrianK

Registered
Try having more than one outlook window open. When you want to look at your contacts, instead of just clicking on "Contacts" right-click on it and choose "Open in a new window." Then your calendar view never gets touched.

moises

Registered
BrianK said:
Try having more than one outlook window open. When you want to look at your contacts, instead of just clicking on "Contacts" right-click on it and choose "Open in a new window." Then your calendar view never gets touched.

Very helpful! Thanks.