• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Outlook TaskPad View

I've used Outlook's tasks for a long time now, and know how to configure the views, set up group by and sorting, etc... even conditional formatting.

I just started using the taskpad on the calendar view, though. I thought it would be great to view my hardscape and next actions together, but I'm getting frustrated.

I have Outlook 2002. When I set up the view how I want it (for the taskpad), there is an option at the bottom of the "group by" box that let's you put in a default for expand/collapse/as last viewed.

Can anyone tell me how to make this work? No matter what I have for the setting, it doesn't work consistently. For example, I think I want it as "as last viewed" so that I can collapse the contexts that aren't currently available to me (ex. while at home, I can close the @Errands, @Work, etc). But then, if I switch to something else (ex. Contacts) and then back, everything is collapsed again.

Any ideas would be most appreciated...

Thanks,
Julia
 
Here's my setup in Outlook 2002:

Customize Current View (right mouse click)
Group By ...

Group items by: Categories (Ascending)
Then by: (none)
Select available fields from: Frequently-used fields
Expand/collapse defaults: All collapsed

I tried each of the three expand/collapse defaults and they all work for me. You have the "Group items by" set to the Categories field, right?

Mark
 
Hmmm...

I have my settings just like you listed.

All collapsed and all expanded work.... but "as last viewed" doesn't.

If I have some categories expanded and some collapsed, then leave the view... they are all collapsed again when I return.

Maybe some other setting overrides it?
 
Try having more than one outlook window open. When you want to look at your contacts, instead of just clicking on "Contacts" right-click on it and choose "Open in a new window." Then your calendar view never gets touched.
 
BrianK said:
Try having more than one outlook window open. When you want to look at your contacts, instead of just clicking on "Contacts" right-click on it and choose "Open in a new window." Then your calendar view never gets touched.

Very helpful! Thanks.
 
Top