Palm App: Note Studio

P

PamG

I recently discovered the answer to my GTD/Palm cravings: Note Studio. Rather than provide a long narrative description, I've uploaded about a half-dozen screen shots to ClieSource: http://snipurl.com/60nv

Bottom-line: it's similar to having a website on your device, in my case, a TH55. I've moved everything out of the core apps, and into NS. Ditto DayNotez, WordSmith, Shadow and others. It's incredibly liberating to be able to, finally, get to everything,
-- from within the SAME interface
-- via any linking I desire
-- with one tap ease
-- in the order ** I ** want, on **any** page

If anyone is interested in how I (easily) batch converted the data in the core datebook, address book, todo and memo apps for copy/pasting into Note Studio, relevant links are at a thread posted at ClieSource:
http://snipurl.com/60hi
Info is also included re
-- a Handango 15% off coupon, to lessen the pain of Note Studio's $50 price tag, which includes a desktop (Win only) component,
-- a link to Note Studio's palmGear page.

Warning: the trial includes nag screens, which is why I initially blew it off. But I'm soooooo glad curiosity coerced me back into giving it a fair shake.

M

mochant

A Wiki on your Palm, eh?

PamG:

Sounds like you've put a lot of work into this. Please keep us informed how this works for you as times goes on. The biggest question I have immediately is how you keep your Datebook sync'ed with this setup. Are you exporting and importing daily (or more often)?

--Marc

M

me_brown1110

Wowsa

I've been using Notestudio since it was WikiStudio, and your GTD implementation is an astounding piece of work.

I'm primarily using NS as a portable reference/repository for personal/web/other data, replacing my memos. I'm too used to my Todo and Datebook methods to want to change them at this time.

BTW, Dogmelon (creators of NoteStudio) have their own user forum accessible from their web site. Creators are responsive to users' suggestions. The program has improved in suppleness and stability since its early days.

P

PamG

mochant: Short answer to your sync Q >> once I converted the data in the 4 core apps to txt, and pulled into Note Studio, I never looked back. All new dates (HardLandscape), ToDo's (Agenda & Master Task List), memos and contacts are now added instead to Note Studio. Just too easy to revert back to the old guys. So, syncing = NoteStudio alone**, not Palm Desktop or Outlook.

me_brown: I had noticed the earlier version, but it didn't seem user friendly then, at least, not to me. The current version makes it all kid's play, so I can see that they must be paying attention to user suggestions. Thanks for mentioning their forum, which I neglected to do. Heck, some golden tips there are what really enabled me to "get in a zone" while pulling my little scheme together.

M

me_brown1110

NoteStudio

PamG said:
me_brown: I had noticed the earlier version, but it didn't seem user friendly then, at least, not to me. The current version makes it all kid's play, so I can see that they must be paying attention to user suggestions. Thanks for mentioning their forum, which I neglected to do. Heck, some golden tips there are what really enabled me to "get in a zone" while pulling my little scheme together.

Oh right --the breadcrumbs across the top of your GTD pages came from the graphic designer guy. Cool. (I started that thread on how people are using their NS setups.)

Agreed, this latest version really is sweet; the auto formatting works terrific. And the move to creating links via [brackets] solved a lot of problems.

So -- I'm guessing here -- if you have to set up a meeting next month with John, you must have a page for John that has his contact info and contact history. That's OK. But to create a hard landscape on the calendar -- how do you manage that? Do you use a DA to input a future date? How do you know what's coming up in the week ahead?

mike

P

PamG

The prior May 3rd post has been deleted, and replaced with the following.

Edit: June 8th
GTD with Note Studio / TeikeiDA Tutorial
I have posted, roughly, 2 dozen pages, explaining the what and why of my GTD implementation, using Note Studio and TeikeiDA. Regrettably, the pages are NOT pda-friendly, due to the screenies (about 4 dozen) embedded with the text.

The TeikeiDA section runs two pages, and includes both a line-by-line analysis of a submenu's creation, as well as a start-to-finish series-of-screenies page. A zipped file, containing plain text files, is also provided-- the idea is to pour the contents of each file into a separate memo, allowing you to then backtrack, and see what part of which memo created what you see in your Teikei menu. Hopefully, that will make it much easier to customize.

. . . . . . http://law4pda.org

FWIW, I'm investigating the "how" of providing a follow-up mechanism, specifically:
- post by email, but
- stay informed via an RSS feed

If & when I can figure it out, I'll post here.

P

PamG

Done!

Edit: Referenced pages are now posted. See above (before "deleted" post).

During the Memorial Day holiday, ClieSource merged with PalmOneSource, creating new url 1src.com, http://www.1src.com/. An announcement posted at ClieSource indicates the Gallery (housing pics uploaded by members) will be inaccessible "for a few months". Accordingly, I'm in the process of creating html pages with screenies, so the info will be available to those who want it. I've given myself a mid-June deadline to accomplish this, and will post the related URL here

M

Murt

Pam, thanks for all the useful pages describing your setup. It did a lot to convince me of the viability and overall usefulness of having an integrated system that is both simple and easy to change.

I've posted my own take on Note Studio at http://www.murtworld.com/2004/06/info-nirvana.php, which also links over to your pages.

I'd encourage anyone who gets tired of working around the limitations of most software-based approaches to try Note Studio.

M

mochant

Note Studio update

Note Studio has just been updated. Here's what's new:

+++What's changed
Many things have been improved in Note Studio 2.0.7

Some of the more noteworthy improvements include:
-Back links display some of the text after the results
-View page in browser on PC, by using F11
-Automatic backup script on the PC
-Fixed bug with hard reset corrupting data under some circumstances.
-When links are clicked, there is a visual indication on color Palms
-PC Note Studio works better when it is left open during a sync.
-Pressing on a link for a second on the Palm will show backLinks for that link

For a full list of what's new please go to:
http://www.dogmelon.com.au/ns/Release History.shtml

A

Anonymous

I'm going to try to implement GTD using Yahoo Notepad. Yahoo provides a free tool to sync Yahoo Notepad with Palm Memo.