Palm OS vs Windows Mobile

J

jkk

Hi All
After checking various articles over the internet, David Allen's book, forum notes etc, I have made the decision to go for a Palm Treo to help me get more organised. The paper based method will not work for me.

I am now confused between the Palm Treo OS (on the 680 model) and the Palm Treo with Windows Mobile (on the 750v model) - being the the UK with Vodafone, I am being offered the 750v model however in all forum notes and David's details, I have not found anyone indicating what is being used exactly and what is best compatible with GTD.

If anyone who is using either of these models can provide some advise or anyone who may have researched on this can post some information, it would help me make and informed decision.

Some links to the models:
http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/treo750v/
http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/treo680/index.html

Comparison on models:
http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/compare_smartphones.html

Many Thanks.

vatark

Registered
deja vu!

Hi

I was looking at these just the other day. I decided that if I do make the jump I'll get the 680, but then I don't use Windows... ;)

After further thought, however, I decided to stay with what I already have - a phone, a notebook and a pen. I've just save £300 and don't have anything new to learn.:cool:

dschaffner

Registered
jkk;51855 said:
I am now confused between the Palm Treo OS (on the 680 model) and the Palm Treo with Windows Mobile (on the 750v model) -

JKK,

I don't use the 680, but the slightly older 650. It has the Palm OS (not Windows Mobile).

The key difference is that when people say they use a palm, they usually mean the palm OS. There are lots of apps for the palm OS.

I think there are some apps for Windows Mobile, but since it's a newer OS, there are fewer apps.

TesTeq

Registered
What do you need this PDA for?

dschaffner;51859 said:
There are lots of apps for the palm OS.

I think there are some apps for Windows Mobile, but since it's a newer OS, there are fewer apps.

What do you need this PDA for? To install lots of PalmOS apps or to install fewer Windows Mobile apps or just to get things done? I use plain vanilla Nokia 6670 phone and do not care if there are any third party applications for the Symbian S60 platform.

And by the way Foleo is dead and Palm is dying.

Tom Shannon

Registered
TesTeq;51860 said:
What do you need this PDA for?

This really is the key question. As someone who uses Outlook extensively and who thought it was most important to have as much feature compatibility as possible, I chose to go with Windows Mobile. I have not regretted this decision.

Having said that, if this is *not* your first priority, then you should give the Palm version serious consideration. You can get decent, if incomplete, Outlook compatibility by using third party applications like KeySuite and, of course, if you use something else, Palm will likely be as good or better than Windows Mobile for syncing with it. If you are using Linux and you want to sync with anything get the Palm. I don't know about Macs.

And there's always the possibility that you don't care about desktop compatibility at all in which case both are perfectly appropriate depending upon your special needs.

I wouldn't let the argument about number of available third party apps sway you. I've used both over the years and I've never looked for anything that I couldn't find for both platforms.

Good luck.

Tom S.

AndyD

Registered
@JKK,

What will you be using the device with?

Will it be used with a Windows PC or Mac or simply used "standalone?".

Both Palm OS or Windows Mobile will work fine for GTD. However, what you'll be using the device with, could influence your choice.

I'm predominantly a Windows and Outlook user so I simply went for Windows Mobile running on a Qtek9100 (aka HTC Wizard/Imate K-Jam) also from Vodafone UK and love the device!

The key factor for me was syncing to Outlook and the Mobile versions of Word and Excel built into the device. Windows Mobile can also handle many categories (or in GTD speak, contexts) assigned to tasks or calendar items.

I believe Palm OS used to be limited to about 15 categories unless you installed 3rd party software. But this may have changed on the most recent Palm OS.

If you're on PC running Outlook, I'd suggest Window Mobile would be the way to go. If you're on other platforms, i'd see if Vodafone will let you trial the device first?

I don't think they offer the Palm OS Treo, only the Windows Mobile version.

Having said all this, if you do like Windows Mobile have a look at the other devices Vodafone have with this OS too. I think it's called the Vodafone V1610 aka HTC TyTn. This runs Windows Mobile and features a slide out QWERTY keyboard, with bigger keys than the Treo and a larger display with landscape option etc.

My Qtek9100 is the predecessor to the TyTn. There's also a newer version of the TyTn called the HTC Kaiser but I'm not sure if Vodafone are offering this yet?

I'm running pretty much the tasks and calendar applications that it came with, but if you need more advanced software both PocketInformant or Agenda Fusion are worth a look.

Also, worth a look is TodayAgenda over at www.tiews.info It's a great free application to put your task and calender items on the main Today screen.

Good luck with your choice, let me know if you'd like any further info.

Best regards,

Andy.
PS. This was typed up on and posted from the Qtek9100!

J

jkk

Hi All

Thank you very much for your feedback - I should have mentioned I use Outlook, Windows XP, Google email and Google Calendar. Outlook is mostly used at work and I am currently migrating Outlook at home to Google email/calendar.

I will ask Vodafone if I can trial the device to check it out. One of the reasons I am considering it is that my current phone and tarriff is up for renewal and they are offering me a range of phones including any smartphones so I thought it would be a good time to consider using it to get more organised. The Palm Treo 680 would set me back £300 but the Treo 750v would cost me ... £0 as its a free upgrade. However I dont want to get stuck with something I dont use just because its free - which is why I am open to consider any other devices too!

AndyD - the apps that you have mentioned, are they for the Palm Treo or for the Qtek9100? Vodafone did show the Qtek to me but I didn't get a chance to spend time on it to test it.

Thanks to all once again.

L

loraneb

I have been using Palm devices since 1997. Literally everything is on my device - from the obvious - calendar and PIM info, to ebooks, my shopping list, Pocket Quicken to sync my checkbook with Quicken on my computer, database files, docs, handscribbled notes, games for my kids. There are thousands of third party software available for the Palm - see palmgear.com or handango.com

I'm in the US, but if the 750v is similar to the 755p in the US, then that would be a good choice. I have Verizon and am waiting for the 755p to come out. The Palm OS reminds me of DOS - small, quick, functional.

HTH,

Lorane

J

jkk

Last few questions

- Is the Palm Treo with Windows Mobile compatible to use withe Palm Desktop?
- I have read about problems resetting the Treo often - is this a problem on the Windows Mobile version anyone has found?
- David Allen has an article on the website about how he has setup his Palm to make it easy to get organised. Are the same options available on the Windows mobile version for the Palm Treo?

And most importantly, if anyone has had experience with a better device - please do let me know.

Thanks!

AndyD

Registered
Hi JKK,

The apps mentioned both run on Windows Mobile so they'll run on the Qtek9100 and the Treo 750V (although please check that they're compatible with the square screen on the Treo) or any Windows Mobile device with a touch screen.

I’m using the standard built in calendar and tasks applications but if you need more power the two apps mentions should meet your requirements. As to which one is better, it’s really down to personal preference. Both have trial versions available from their websites:

PocketInformant: www.pocketinformant.com

Agenda Fusion: www.developerone.com

Some background on the devices I mentioned: HTC are a company who for years, made all these SmartPhones and PDA’s for other companies (mainly mobile network companies) to “re-badge” as their own.

It’s only in the last year or so that they’ve (HTC) decided to sell the devices under their own name too. Network companies still buy them from HTC and re-badge them too.

As examples:

My Qtek9100 is really the HTC Wizard. But O2 had it as the XDA II Mini S, on T-Mobile it was the MDA Vario, Imate sold it as the K-Jam and Vodafone had it as the Qtek9100. It doesn’t have 3G only GPRS so Mobile Internet is similar in speed to old dial-up connection. But in practice it feels quicker, as many sites these days identify the device you’re viewing from and direct you to the most appropriate site lower bandwidth site or their "mobile" site for your device. Every post I’ve read and made to this forum has been from the Qtek!

The successor to it was the HTC TyTN – available on Vodafone as the V1605 (and NOT the V1610 as I’d posted earlier) and on most of the other networks under different names too. The V1605 has 3G so the Internet is a lot faster (almost but not quite broadband) than the GPRS connection on the Qtek9100 above.

The successor to the HTC TyTN, called HTC TyTN II (or codename Kaiser!) has just been released. I’ve just read today, that Vodafone will offer it either now or very soon! 24th August was an initial date they had. This is a cracking device by the way! Some consider it to be the best handheld ever made! When my contract with Vodafone comes up for renewal in January next year, this is definitely the device I’ll be going for!

All the above feature slide out QWERTY keyboards – the screen on the TyTN II even tilts like a mini-laptop if you want it to!

Ironically, HTC (who also pioneered and continue to make the SPV range of Windows SmartPhones for the Orange network) actually make the Treo 750v for Palm! (Or at the very least, designed it for them!) The HTC code name for the Treo 750v is the Cheetah! (Have a look at the serial nos. or in the battery compartment for all these devices and you’ll see the original HTC name/codename!)

More info:

Vodafone V1605 or HTC TyTN
http://www.htc.com/product/03-products-1.htm

Vodafone V1615 or HTC TyTN II
http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_tytn_II.htm

There’s also some history on all this over at www.xda-developers.com

In a nutshell, the Treo 750V is great if you like Windows Mobile. The V1605 (or TyTN) would be great too, with all the advantages of a larger slide out keyboard. Then you’ve got the V1615 (or TyTN II) is the current top of the line device in the HTC/Vodafone range.

Also, checkout out Vodafone’s new Mobile Internet Data Bundle: £7.50 for 120Mb data use per month. After that, it’s a whopping £2 per Mb! Ouch!

>> Vodafone did show the Qtek to me but I didn't get a chance to spend time on it to test it.

Was that the Qtek9100? I thought they would have discontinued it by now and replaced it with the V1605/TyTN? The TyTN or TyTN II would be a way more future proof device than the Qtek9100 but that’s not to take anything away from the Qtek. But if they offer you the TyTN or TyTN II at the same price go with the TyTN/ TyTN II! I know I would!

Hope this helps, sorry if I’ve gone on a bit!

Let me know if you’d like further info!

P.S. Going to try Google Email/Calendar and see if they can be accessed via Internet Explorer Mobile on Windows Mobile. Might take a day or so, but will get back to you.

STOP PRESS!!!

Just seen your latest post:

>> Is the Palm Treo with Windows Mobile compatible to use withe Palm Desktop?

Don't know for sure, but pretty certain it isn't compatible with Palm Desktop. Instead you'd sync it to Outlook. Each Windows Mobile device comes with a bundled copy of Outlook and Activesync on CD. Activesync is the software that syncs your mobile device to Outlook and your PC.

>> I have read about problems resetting the Treo often - is this a problem on the Windows Mobile version anyone has found?

Not sure, but I've found that my Windows Mobile is very stable and robust running on the Qtek.

>> David Allen has an article on the website about how he has setup his Palm to make it easy to get organised. Are the same options available on the Windows mobile version for the Palm Treo?

I'd say yes. The applications he uses are the basic "vanilla" ones built into Palm OS. Windows Mobile has pretty much the same apps. Tasks, Notes, Calendar, Email client. It also has mobile versions of Word, Excel and a PowerPoint viewer too.

If you'd like further info, just let me know.

Best Regards,

Andy.

J

jkk

Hi AndyD

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with all the information - it has given me good background and a great starting point. I will take a serious look into all your suggestions.

Many thanks