Palm To Do alpha sort??

J

John Griffith

Maybe this point has been covered elsewhere on the board, but it makes no sense to me why 'sort by name' is not an option in the Palm To Do app. Can anyone recommend a solid third party app that will alpha sort my Next Action lists? I am using an m515 and synching with Outlook using Pocket Mirror. A techie I am not, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John

A

Anonymous

If you sync to Outlook, you can do an alpha sort there and then resync. It will then put them alphabetically on the palm. I keep my palm todo list sorted by date/priority and set all priorities to 1. This pushes all projects/tasks with a due date to the top and everything else is sorted alphabetically below. To insert a task on the palm and keep the alpha sort in tact, select the task that would fall below the one you are inserting and it will be inserted in the correct order. :D

J

John Griffith

reply to 1drummergirl

Thanks for the response, but even after 1) sorting alpha in Outlook 2) saving the sort order 3) syncing via Pocket Mirror, tasks are still not in alpha order on my handheld. And it does not involve due dates or priorities, because I am talking about non-dated, same priority tasks. What are you using to sync with Outlook?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm....I have pocketmirror 3.0 Pro.

It works for me. :roll:

A

Anonymous

drummergirl, anything special about how you have pocketmirror set up? the way you sort or views you use in outlook? are you using the gtd plug-in?

rlozeau

Registered
John Griffith said:
Maybe this point has been covered elsewhere on the board, but it makes no sense to me why 'sort by name' is not an option in the Palm To Do app. Can anyone recommend a solid third party app that will alpha sort my Next Action lists? I am using an m515 and synching with Outlook using Pocket Mirror. A techie I am not, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John

John, I had given up on the Palm because of the inability to do the simple task of sorting Tasks alphabetically. Did one last search tonight and came up with CanDo, a Palm add-in produced by ElkaSoft in the UK. 30 Day free trial; $18.95 to purchase. Straightforward install. A few minutes tweaking and a 4 year problem is solved. Really stupid that this is not part of the basic Palm OS. Now if I could just get Tasks to sound an alarm... Anyway good luck if come back to this entry after all this time.

Searched Google: Alpha +sort +Palm + Tasks & found CanDo about 5 pages down.

Esquire

Registered
I was interested to see this post today, as I was just thinking about this on the way into work this morning.

I agree with DA about "plain vanilla" sometimes being the best, and so I've avoided all of the add-on programs (or tried them and discarded them).

But I really can't understand why Palm refuses to work an alpha-sort into its to-do program. I now keep my Project lists in the Memos app because the alpha-sort function there allows me to keep related projects (i.e. different projects on the same case [I'm a lawyer]) together.

Well anyway, no answers from me, just empathy.

BrianK

Registered
Esquire said:
I was interested to see this post today, as I was just thinking about this on the way into work this morning.

I agree with DA about "plain vanilla" sometimes being the best, and so I've avoided all of the add-on programs (or tried them and discarded them).

But I really can't understand why Palm refuses to work an alpha-sort into its to-do program. I now keep my Project lists in the Memos app because the alpha-sort function there allows me to keep related projects (i.e. different projects on the same case [I'm a lawyer]) together.

Well anyway, no answers from me, just empathy.

Try ksToDo. Freeware palm to do replacement, and it also sorts by name. It's as plain vanilla as you can get from the standard palm app.

Same with ksDatebook. Basically the same as the built-in one, but with an extra view that lets you view a week at a time and see the text of the entries (not just colored bars telling you that you have something). Again, I know it's something extra, but it's so close to the standard palm app that you might forget after a couple of weeks that you switched.

N

Nikita

Agendus does that. (I use it with its desktop, which sits on top of Palm Desktop)

One of the options for sorting tasks is "description".

They even have a special version for Outlook users.

Agendus for Outlook

sdstang65

Registered
Thanks!

BrianK;29881 said:
Try ksToDo. Freeware palm to do replacement, and it also sorts by name. It's as plain vanilla as you can get from the standard palm app.

Same with ksDatebook. Basically the same as the built-in one, but with an extra view that lets you view a week at a time and see the text of the entries (not just colored bars telling you that you have something). Again, I know it's something extra, but it's so close to the standard palm app that you might forget after a couple of weeks that you switched.

Thanks...I installed ksToDo. I was looking for an application that sorted tasks alphabetically. This program appears to be exactly what I was looking for….”plain vanilla” and free!

J

Jake

Will ksToDo and ksDatebook work with Outlook and the existing Pocket Mirror settings? :confused:

notmuch

Registered
Jake;51537 said:
Will ksToDo and ksDatebook work with Outlook and the existing Pocket Mirror settings? :confused:

Those ks apps haven't been updated since 2004... they are almost as old as this thread :p

If your Palm is OS4 (IE you have "Todos", not "Tasks", & "Datebook", not "Calendar") they should perform flawlessly. If you have a newer OS5 Palm you cannot use the repeating feature in Tasks... checking a repeating task in ksTodo will erase the repeat. In ksDatebook, there is no location field support, and some users report corrupted events... with others it seems to work fine.