Palm TX

rpallares

Registered
Hi.

I'm a GTD newbie and I'm thinking on purchasing a PDA. I'm considering the Palm TX and I have not found any references of it in this forum.

Is the Treo the only one option for implementing GTD electronically? The OS in 700p is that different from TX's?

If any one can give me some hints, whould appreciate.

Thanks

Rolando.-

R

ReBuild

The Palm TX and Treo 700p are both Palm based OS so you can implement GTD on either. The choice comes down to the feature set you want in a PDA and the price you are willing to pay.

Also remember if you go the Treo 700p route, it only operates via the Verizon network. Later this year (i.e. 3rd or 4th qtr) Palm will roll out a Treo 750 model via the Cingular GPS network.

As to using the PDA for GTD just search the forum for general Palm topics ... a lot of folks use it and have discussed their favorite add on's etc.

rpallares

Registered
Thanks!
Treo is not an option because I want to start light. The Treo seems to big for me --to my pocket too ;)
Do you know of any discussion about implementing GTD from the Palm OS standpoint of view, I mean PalmOS vs Windows Mobile?
My primary email client at work is Outlook and at home is GMail.

TesTeq

Registered
Treo is a PDA+cell phone - but maybe paper?

rpallares said:
The Treo seems to big for me --to my pocket too ;)
Treo is a PDA+cell phone. It is smaller and lighter than TX + cell phone.

But you do not need any electronic device to implement GTD. Just some index cards or notebook or some sheets of paper. And no requirements for batteries, charging, synchronization etc.

mcogilvie

Registered
rpallares said:
Thanks!
Treo is not an option because I want to start light. The Treo seems to big for me --to my pocket too ;)
Do you know of any discussion about implementing GTD from the Palm OS standpoint of view, I mean PalmOS vs Windows Mobile?
My primary email client at work is Outlook and at home is GMail.

The Treo is not much bigger volume than a TX, if any, but does have a different shape from the TX. Also consider that you will want a case for the TX. I think it makes sense to consider screen size, keyboard vs. graffiti, et cetera, before making a decision. I use a TX, but I may switch to a phone/pda combo next time around.

There has been much, much, much discussion of GTD on palms (you know there is a yahoo group, right?), some on windows mobile, and a bit on comparing the two. They both work for gtd, although I think the palm is easier to use out of the box. I think your work habits are key: what are you using now? Is it working for you? How would you like to work?

Personally, I have spent very little time looking at Windows mobile pda's because I find them clunky, over-engineered and poor ergonomically. But YMMV.

rpallares

Registered
mcogilvie said:
The Treo is not much bigger volume than a TX, if any, but does have a different shape from the TX. Also consider that you will want a case for the TX. I think it makes sense to consider screen size, keyboard vs. graffiti, et cetera, before making a decision. I use a TX, but I may switch to a phone/pda combo next time around...

Thanks for the feedback. I didn´t know about the yahoo group.

I´m not considering the Treo right now (either Palm or Windows Mobile) because my cell phone provider does not have them (I don´t live in the states). I´m aware that I´ll have to carry around two devices.

I don´t use any PDA now and, as you put it, I have the feeling that the PalmOS is easier and simple than Windows Mobile.

I think I´ll go for the TX but not sure yet...

Thanks a lot