Paper system - organizing the Next Actions sub-sections

Botany_Bill

Registered
I'm new to GTD and I am setting up a paper notebook (my preference). I really prefer side-bound spiral notebooks. They fold flat, allow writing on both sides of the page, and I can tear out pages when I've completed a page.

I've read a bit (including David Allen Co docs) about setting up the notebook but I can't find anythign about how people are setting up the Next Actions "section." I know David recommends subdividing NA list by context and those contexts are up to me (I think I'll have some for where I am (errands, emails, phone) and some for projects (I like digging in on a single project before moving on). But I don't know how to start dividing my notebook space (pages per context) and I realize I've taken away some adaptability by using spiral-bound books.

There's lots of info on the interweb about # of pages for all other sections, but not for within the Next Actions section. I'm starting to wonder if I should have separate small notebooks for each. Would love any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

mcogilvie

Registered
David Allen has often spoken of using a single sheet of paper for each next action as a good “test rig” when starting GTD, and some people stay with it. I have often used a small moleskine notebook as a mini GTD system at conferences (@conference, @hotel, agendas), and that works ok for me, even if I prefer digital. I don’t think you will know what works best for you until you try, and spiral notebooks are not so flexible. Once you know what works, maybe spiral is fine. Separate notebooks are probably not good.

FWIW, Levenger has a somewhat pricey product line called Circa which combines the lie-flat feature of spiral notebooks with the easy rearrangement of 3-ring binders. Office Depot markets a cheaper, compatible line called Tūl (tool, get it?).

RS356

Registered
Welcome, Bill! I’m a longtime paper user as well. While I prefer a loose leaf book such as a Filofax or Circa, any tool will work. I’ve had a great deal of success with 3x5 post-its, one per context list. They can be spread across a notebook page to create a dashboard of sorts. I now use one sheet of notebook paper per list. As @mcogilvie has said, it's a process of experimenting and finding what works for you.

When I've used bound books, I've numbered each page and indexed the contents in the front or back. Here's a similar approach. Above all, keep things as simple as possible.

Botany_Bill

Registered
David Allen has often spoken of using a single sheet of paper for each next action as a good “test rig” when starting GTD, and some people stay with it. I have often used a small moleskine notebook as a mini GTD system at conferences (@conference, @hotel, agendas), and that works ok for me, even if I prefer digital. I don’t think you will know what works best for you until you try, and spiral notebooks are not so flexible. Once you know what works, maybe spiral is fine. Separate notebooks are probably not good.

FWIW, Levenger has a somewhat pricey product line called Circa which combines the lie-flat feature of spiral notebooks with the easy rearrangement of 3-ring binders. Office Depot markets a cheaper, compatible line called Tūl (tool, get it?).
I think I do remember David saying a single sheet, but I thought that was just for inbox. So if a next action is the appropriate "bucket", do I then, for instance, stack all my @email sheets, @errands sheets, etc? I'm thinking I want to run through a context for a bit before moving on, so to me I want them all in one stack (or set of pages in a notebook). Does this seem reasonable or am I way off track?

mickdodge

Registered
I'm starting to wonder if I should have separate small notebooks for each. Would love any thoughts on this.
I wouldn't necessarily use separate notebooks. When I started GTD, I started with paper (spiral notebooks) until I felt comfortable with the system and switched to digital.

I used Mead's Five Star 5-Subject spiral notebooks that already have "subject" section dividers built-in (and can store loose papers or index cards). Then I would set up one section divider for next actions, one for projects, one for someday/maybe, one for an inbox, etc. I used an index card as a sort of next actions daily "focus list" and quick inbox, so I didn't always need to carry the spiral notebook.

Gardener

Registered
When I tried to do a system on paper, I didn't allot pages per context--instead, I:

- allotted a large portion of the notebook to context lists
- used a stickie as a bookmark to mark the beginning of that section
- then gave each context one page
- crossed off context actions as they got done
- when a context page got full(ish), I started a new page for that context, and re-copied the actions that (1) weren't done and (2) still seemed worth doing.
- drew a big X over the old context page (this was a bound notebook; I would use a spiral notebook now, and just pull out the page)
- as pages were filled, I moved the bookmark-stickie to the first still-active context page. If a still-active context page was trapped behind several Xed-off pages, I'd just rewrite it to a fresh page.

A fair bit of this originated with trying to bullet journal and then changing a bunch of things.

This had the advantage of "warning" me when a context list got too long for my self-imposed limit--if I had to start writing on the back of the page, that told me that I needed to drop some things or create a new context to split the items. And the re-writing of incomplete tasks was a useful forced review of those tasks.

If I were to go back to paper, I'd do this again. I am doing it for one project that involves a fair bit of musing; I muse best when writing on paper.

Botany_Bill

Registered
I think I do remember David saying a single sheet, but I thought that was just for inbox. So if a next action is the appropriate "bucket", do I then, for instance, stack all my @email sheets, @errands sheets, etc? I'm thinking I want to run through a context for a bit before moving on, so to me I want them all in one stack (or set of pages in a notebook). Does this seem reasonable or am I way off track?
I wouldn't necessarily use separate notebooks. When I started GTD, I started with paper (spiral notebooks) until I felt comfortable with the system and switched to digital.

I used Mead's Five Star 5-Subject spiral notebooks that already have "subject" section dividers built-in (and can store loose papers or index cards). Then I would set up one section divider for next actions, one for projects, one for someday/maybe, one for an inbox, etc. I used an index card as a sort of next actions daily "focus list" and quick inbox, so I didn't always need to carry the spiral notebook.
5-subject sounds like a nice starter. I'm still thinking I want my "inbox" notebook separate so I can have it open while sorting and entering items into the other sections rather than flipping back and forth.

I sometimes do that index-card thing in my current system (a modified David Forster "Do it Tomorrow"). I use a small sheet of paper and give myself priorities for the day or week so I don't lose focus by looking at my entire list. With this method, nothing is grouped by context and you do what you most want to on that list and continue.

gtdstudente

Registered
Welcome, Bill! I’m a longtime paper user as well. While I prefer a loose leaf book such as a Filofax or Circa, any tool will work. I’ve had a great deal of success with 3x5 post-its, one per context list. They can be spread across a notebook page to create a dashboard of sorts. I now use one sheet of notebook paper per list. As @mcogilvie has said, it's a process of experimenting and finding what works for you.

When I've used bound books, I've numbered each page and indexed the contents in the front or back. Here's a similar approach. Above all, keep things as simple as possible.
Very happy this ''Thread' Resurfaced. Love this "Context List Management System," since any particular Post-It Context List can be removed from the "Dashboard" for easier particular Context Focus and then Returned for Easier overall Context Review. Good job . . . thank you!