• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Paper vs PDA - and binder question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
I read somewhere that a person is often either a PDA or a paper person. This made me feel great, as I have had several super duper PDAs and always go back to a 3 ring binder system. The article said that some of of just need to "see" more than a PDA shows, and that we need to "feel" the writing of it on paper. That's me! ( my friend told me that my $400.00 PDA is just a heavy address book!)

I have just implemented GTD, and have had a terrific week accomplishing goals. I have one question. Does anyone know of a vendor for a nice 8 1/2 x 11 binder that has small rings? I think I am going to go to a monthly calendar format because my lists are doing so well (I used to write them all on the calendar - and rewrite - and move, etc.) Anyway, with the calendar and my 5 tabbed areas behind - I just don't need to lug around a big thick binder with a zipper.

I have looked at the standard places = DayTimer, Covey. I guess I could use a plain ol 3 ring 1 " binder, but - doesn't look very professional.
 
I use a Levenger 3-Ring Folio for work that I'm thinking about setting up for GTD. It has 1" rings and is made of very nice leather.

www.levenger.com
 
Thanks so much. Now I can't decide which one - love that red one from Levinger!
 
I'm otherwise a confirmed technophile, but I use a paper planner. It's simply more efficient for putting information in and getting information out. I do keep my contacts in Outlook, and periodically print out a fresh address book, rather than try to update all of that information by hand.

The first thing to do is decide the size of the binder you'll need. I use a binder with 2-inch rings, because I like to have lots of information, planning calendars, notes, etc. I got mine from FranklinCovey, and while it's not real leather, I think it looks just fine. I get most of my pages and accessories from Day Timer.
 
Paper vs PDA

I use a regular Filofax - in the Personalformat. It works fine for me, I also have a Palm that I try to set up to GTD-mode, but I always fall back to paper...

Check out this link...

http://www.filofax.co.uk/corpsales/timemanagement/SEURLF/ASP/SFS/SFE/timemanagementinaction.htm

And there is something about what the guys at Time/Desing says..

“If you think it, ink it.”


Paper works fine for me and you can quickly pull up your Filofax to jot down something in it...

I set up and use my Filofax in a combination of

http://www.gettingthingsdone.com/tips_tools/tip25.html

and

http://www.timedesign.com/Pages/usermanual.pdf

It works smoothly and I like to pull up my binder on the bus on my way home from work (one hours trip each way) and scan my lists/NA/projects etc. ( a short "mini-rewiev" to get all lose ends in my sight so I can "kill them"... :D

All roads lead to Rome...
..or there isn´t only one way to get organized...
 
Top