• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Physical General Reference Filing

Hello everyone! I'm about to buy my first physical filing basket and have some questions.

In the book I recall it saying to have a index A-Z, which I really like and use on my computer. But how does this work with physical content? How does subfolders work?

I have found a good basket and some folders on amazon but i don't see where sub folders fits in.

Basket

Folder

What system do you use? And what advice do you have? Cheers!
 
I don't use subfolders except in very rare instances on my computer so for me the physical cabinet is just the same. A file drawer (or in my case 16 file drawers in 5 file cabinets) with one layer of manila folders in it labeled with the contents and files A-Z.

I do have 2 sets of folders that are separate, 1 for each of the 2 organizations that I am an officer of. The folders and data in them go with the position so I keep them separate so that I can turn them over to someone else when my time is over.

I also have 1 set of genealogical folders that is separate that follows a similar A-Z organization but is organized by surname with additional folders for each major class of document or data for that name. So there are folders with labels like Thompson-Birth Certificates and Thompson-Military Service Records
 
testie said:
I have found a good basket and some folders on amazon but i don't see where sub folders fits in.
(...)
What system do you use? And what advice do you have? Cheers!

Use Folder-Topic naming convention to group items. For example "Banking-Citi", "Banking-HSBC", "Home-SF", "Home-Aspen" etc.
 
Top