• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Physics rather than Philosophy Of Filing

  • Thread starter Thread starter whsbpb
  • Start date Start date
I have a drawer in my filing cabinet that I use for both project and general reference folders (my system isn't that big yet). I like straight line filing because I can't be bothered to decide which type of tab is next, but also because I have assigned meaning to them: left 1/3 cut tabs are for projects, center tabs are for general reference, and the right tabs I just fold the other way so that they become left tabs. Completed project folders get turned around so that their tabs are on the right side, at the back. When my system gets bigger I'll put the completed project folders in a separate drawer.
 
A slightly different approach...

I found that the problem with manila folders - whether straight cut or tabbed - was that things kept falling out of them and they weren't stiff enough and would slide underneath each other and end up in the bottom of the drawer...

So I started to use "wallet" style folders (easy to get hold of in the UK...), which have a fold-over flap and sides to keep the contents in. I label them in the top left-hand corner and because they are a little bit thicker, it's easy to read the title when looking in the drawer. The other advantage is that the drawer does look so much neater with everything confined inside the folders

(A confession - I hand-write the titles: I find it quicker than labelling and I've got fairly neat writing).
 
Top