Plannerpads.com -- For Paper Based GTD Users

wussery

Registered
For the people who are in a paper based system, I would highly recommend that you look at Plannerpads spiral bound or loose leaf Organizers. They can be easily adapted to the GTD methodology. It has a top section that can be filled in with your weekly activities (Next Actions) that you will monitor. The middle section is used for Scheduled To-Do's for the week. The bottom section is where you would put your appointments for that week.

The Planners come in three sizes and have several accessories that can be added inside. If you are firmly planted in the paper domain, then I would seriously look at Plannerpads.

http://www.plannerpads.com

I have no affiliation or financial interest with the company.

wussery

Registered
Michael Hyatt said:
I have to admit, this is the only paper-based system that has tempted me. I may have to give it a try.

Michael, I used their system about two years ago and liked it quite alot. However, this was before I discovered GTD. I was cleaning my office this past weekend and came across an old Planner Pad and said man this format would work just fine with the GTD way of doing things. Thought I'd pass it along.

dal1mdm

Registered
Plannerpad

I've taken up the plannerpad with the new year and so far it adds an immediacy to my plans that I didnt sense with PDA's (after using them for over 5 years).

If I may ask, what do users use as categories for the top portion? I'm working on mine, but havent come to a complete list yet. "Sharpen the Saw" is one. "Projets" is another (to be addressed this week) and "IDEAS" is another.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Re: Plannerpad

dal1mdm said:
it adds an immediacy to my plans that I didnt sense with PDA's (after using them for over 5 years).

I've had a similar experience with PDAs.

For a variety of reasons, I've reverted back to using Time/Design (www.timedesign.com) for my GTD system. I’ve simply found it overall faster and most invisible when I’m applying the GTD concepts - mostly organize & review phases.

It’s nothing inherently bad about electronic or good about paper, more about what works best for me and in my situation (something DA stresses in the GTD Fast audio program).

Mark

A

AMS

Anyone have any preference as to spiral-bound v. loose leaf? I think I'm going to give Plannerpads a try, and I'm debating...when I used Franklin Covey, it seemed like I used an awful lost of special pages just because I could...what has been the experience of others?

dal1mdm

Registered
Loose Leaf

I'm using loose leaf and it works pretty well, but dont think you can go out and find a binder that will fit. They are hard time.

I may try spiral next time. Might be nice down the road to have a library of these if they do become a good working document.

Mark in Texas

randystokes

Registered
Question:

It appears the refill pages for the Time Design system are either A4 or A5 sizes, not US standard sizes. Two questions: Will these fit in US standard size binders and, if so, which sizes? And, I found a site on the web that translates A5 sized paper to 5-7/8" by 8-1/4" (approx) and A4 sized paper to 8.27" by 11.69" (approx.) -- are those correct, because on the Time Design website they say the "Executive Size" is A4 while the "Compact Size" is A5, which seems backwards to me. (OK, maybe that's more than two questions . . .)

Anyway, I have a "junior" sized 7-ring Franklin Covey binder that I would consider using -- which, if either, of the two Time Design refill sizes would fit?

Randy

B

bogert

I bought a Planner Pad two weeks ago and dinked around with whether or not to keep it. I spent some time over the weekend getting some things set up for the new year, and decided to give it a shot. I started setting it up, and then said, "Nah - this isn't going to work." But I persevered through setting up the calendars and planning my week, and the more I worked on it, the more I liked it. I suspect it's going to be very helpful.

The spiral one is only about $26, I believe, and it does come with an unconditional money-back guarantee. I'd suggest it - I've used Franklin, DayTimer, and a PDA in the past, managing my time this past year with only a notetaker wallet and monthl-spread calendar. But this looks like the best thing for me at this point.

wussery

Registered
AMS said:
Anyone have any preference as to spiral-bound v. loose leaf? I think I'm going to give Plannerpads a try, and I'm debating...when I used Franklin Covey, it seemed like I used an awful lost of special pages just because I could...what has been the experience of others?

I like the spiral bound Pad, because they don't take up as much space in my carry-on luggage as the loose leaf one.

apinaud

Registered
Dear Mr Michael Hyatt, please post your comments about this system.

Other people too, but I am looking for people that use a lot of electronic things.

J

jmarkey

My system is primarily PDA/desktop software-based. However, during my weekly review, I plot out some highlights of what I would like to accomplish the following week in much the same way as the Plannerpad system (I use 11" x 17" paper divided by hand into columns representing the days of the week). I like that aspect of it.

apinaud

Registered
jmarkey said:
My system is primarily PDA/desktop software-based. However, during my weekly review, I plot out some highlights of what I would like to accomplish the following week in much the same way as the Plannerpad system (I use 11" x 17" paper divided by hand into columns representing the days of the week). I like that aspect of it.

After you define all those, did you enter those in the palm or just keep the paper for the next wr?

A

AMS

I've ordered the spiral one - I also like the space-saving nature of it versus the loose-leaf. Where do you keep your checklists and other extra stuff? Or maybe I should just wait until I get the planner and it will become obvious...

Arduinna

Registered
Time/Design

I know this thread is about PlannerPads, but since Time/Design has been mentioned, does anyone here use it? If I remember correctly, in the GTD FAST CDs, DA says he used it for 18 years. It looks terrific, clean graphics, no so-called inspirational quotations cluttering the pages, and great supporting forms. The system seems very GTD, with NAs, Waiting Fors, the two-minute rule, etc. The only hesitation I have about it is the price. Getting set up, including a binder, runs a minimum of $175 for the "Business" size. (Randystokes pointed out a discrepancy in the labeling system a few posts back. I think the "Business" size is A5, as labelled, but the "Compact" sounds more like A6, not A4, based on the binder dimensions.)

Any feedback from Time/Design users?

J

jmarkey

apinaud said:
jmarkey said:

After you define all those, did you enter those in the palm or just keep the paper for the next wr?

In most cases, I assign a due date to a next action to tickle the item to my attention on a particular day. I use the calendar for my hard due dates. The due date function on the task list serves as my electronic tickler. If I have a big project that I have committed to myself to work on on a particular day, like writing a brief, I put it in my calendar. Otherwise, the items are on my context lists. Like my paper tickler system, only a handful of items appear on any given day. I toss my 11" x 17" paper at the end of my weekly review and start with a new page at my next weekly review. IHTH

C

carriekris

Planner Pads - Been using it for years

I really like planner pads because they help me plan by the week. I use the spiral bound planner pad because it takes up less room and I have a whole year in one planner. I tried the looseleaf system but it was too bulky for my tastes. I use the 6.75 x 8.5 size because it is large enough but not two large. I bought the leather cover with zipper. My headings tend to be by project and I list the tasks associated with that project. On the middle section, I write next actionsfor that day and appointments go on the bottom. There are pages for each month and extra pages for longer term planning, telephone numbers and notes.

In the back of my binder, I added a daytimer indexed lined journal. Moving from front to back, I take notes. From back to front, I enter action items. I put X in front of completed items. After I have processed a page of notes or action items (weekly is good) and those pages are finished, I put an X on top of that page and in the index (where I also maintain the topic). All my notes, plans, action items etc are in my planner or binder.

I have been using this system for years - I need to write my stuff down. Electronic lists are sometimes helpful and index cards help me put things in context, but my planner pad / notebook system is the core.

A

Andrea Bonner

I'm fairly new to the GTD system, and I've had a very hard time sticking to it using only my Palm Pilot. After reading this thread, I've decided to try the Plannerpads system. I'm a very visual person, and unless I can see all my projects & tasks on one landscape, it's hard for me to process next actions & keep on track. I should get the Plannerpad next week, and will provide any insights I have on the transition.

Incidentally, I will probably still use my electronic system for my Address Book and for synchronizing with my office calendar, which is Outlook based.

If anyone has any tips on how to effectively use the two in combination, I'd love to hear.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Plannerpad system and Outlook

Hi Andrea,

I too have ordered the Plannerpad and should have it early next week. I currently maintain my calendar and next actions in Outlook, so I will have some adaptation to have the two work together. I agree wholeheartedly about wanting to see all things in front of you. I think a combination between Outlook and Plannerpad may be just what I have been searching for! :D

Longstreet