Please connect if you are using Office365 (Onenote, onedrive, Todo) for GTD

This is good timing. I came back here (GTD forum) precisely because I have a new laptop; one that is unable to run a VM to maintain my Mac/Omnifocus instance.

My company is all-in on the O365 ecosystem, and I found it surprising that no real solution has emerged in all these years. I started with the Netcentrics GTDFO (I think that's what it was called) and really liked it. After its demise, I went to Apple (for corporate reasons), and am now back on MS Windows.

While there's a million ways to roll-your-own GTD system in O365, that's exactly the problem. There is no critical mass of users doing things the same way that would permit the development of scripts, best practices, in-depth documentation, etc. And, all the solutions are clunky, using tags, "put the project name in the title", copy & paste from one place to another, etc, etc to work around the lack of functionality in any single O365 app.

But, that's not fair. I'm a developer, and you could build a kick-ass productivity within O365 if you had a local database and MS Graph to tie all the relationships together. Outlook tasks were at least partially the basis for this in NetCentrics, and I was using them before, but it appears Microsoft is deprecating them in favour of ToDo, so there's no real way to tie everything together properly, and it seems most of the solutions everyone develops are designed to work around exactly that.

So why hasn't anyone done this? A 'single pane of glass' for my entire universe of things to do, without excessive friction.

Questions:
  • Have I missed a GTD application for MS Windows that is similar to Omnifocus or Netcentrics (no subscriptions, one time fee only)?
  • Does anyone have any experience/comments on mylifeorganised? Seems like it might do the trick, but lacks 'deep' O365 integration.
  • What would you pay a GTD app (think Omnifocus) for MS Windows, with deep integration into the O365 ecosystem?

I ask the last question because part of my job is working as a mentor to startups, and it's not impossible that at some point one of them might be interested.

I can't understand that. Maybe it's my rather poor knowledge of English. In any case, MS365 fulfills my GTD needs perfectly: To Do as a task manager, OneNote and OneDrive for support and reference material, Outlook for the calendar and e-mails (perfectly integrated with OneNote and To Do). I don't see what I would be missing.

I tried OneNote integrated with Outlook and ToDo but ultimately gave up due to sync issues and the added complexity of it.
My OneNote tags work great to identify tasks. I have one notebook per area of focus (4), plus another for Reference and another for completed projects. Most of my work is laptop based. I can create a summary page, take a snip of the lists for location and people tasks and copy that into another page so I can see those tasks from my phone or iPad
1722898366111.png

I can't understand that. Maybe it's my rather poor knowledge of English. In any case, MS365 fulfills my GTD needs perfectly: To Do as a task manager, OneNote and OneDrive for support and reference material, Outlook for the calendar and e-mails (perfectly integrated with OneNote and To Do). I don't see what I would be missing.
Some simple ones:
  • Next action by context
  • Defer an action/project
  • Review-by dates
  • Repeating action/project
Sure, you can find ways to do all that with what exists, but there's way too much manual work and fiddling with the system than there should be.

Some simple ones:
  • Next action by context
  • Defer an action/project
  • Review-by dates
  • Repeating action/project
Sure, you can find ways to do all that with what exists, but there's way too much manual work and fiddling with the system than there should be.

I think I tend to agree with @RomanS on this one - the current suite of MS apps, while basic, does fulfil a setup as espoused by GTD (what some may call 'vanilla' GTD). To Do works well as a list manager - I'd be interested to know how these missing things you mention are causing you friction without integration? I think a lot of friction is often in the system and not the tool.

I am however not a developer, so am likely not approaching this from the perspective of integration. Regarding a 'single pane of glass' approach, the podcasts and info out there on David's ideal GTD app (e.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_RuXVujho) are interesting reads/watches. This is from 1994 and I'm not aware anyone has come close to being able to replicate this.

*Next action by context
Make one list for each context in To Do and save/move the task in/to the appropriate list/context.
*Defer an action/project
Move it in the list "Someday/Maybe" in To Do.
*Repeating action/project
Place it as a recurring task in the list "Tickler" with a start date in To Do.
[...] there's way too much manual work and fiddling with the system than there should be.
I my opinion, that is neither much manual work nor fiddling with the system.