Podcast- What is the Perfect GTD List Manager

cashdollar

Registered
I listened to the 6/1/09 podcast on "What's the Perfect GTD List Manager". I've listened to all but six (and I'll get to them too) of the 138 podcasts still available and have found a lot of value in them, but the List Manager podcast didn't really meet my needs. The message seemed to be "we're getting a lot of questions on what list manager should I use, and we don't have a good answer for you."

I fully understand not tying GTD to an app's bandwagon, but an overview of strengths and short-comings would have been helpful. I use omnifocus, but I would switch to anything (short of windows) if it increased efficiency and reduced drag followed.

For example as I'm improving my process related to the weekly review (been practicing the monastic tradition of GTD for about 15 months now), and I just discovered that Omnifocus doesn't have a discreet way of viewing outcomes with projects and next action steps without toggling individual project notes while using their weekly review perspective. Not a deal breaker by any means, but probably introduces a little bit of resistance. In looking at a couple of other Mac apps there didn't seem to be any easy way to add this into their process/system. I'd even be willing to try paper (although it strikes me as prone to redundancy) if it helped me reach my goals of finding a fluid method of tracking projects/next actions.

I fully understand not wanting to close off markets by becoming too closely tied to certain apps, but I think more of an evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of some of the more popular apps would be very helpful to use, and quite honestly would even help the developers of some of the GTD centric Apps do a better job in realizing the dream of creating the dream gtd app.

What do others think?

mcogilvie

Registered
cashdollar;67364 said:
I fully understand not wanting to close off markets by becoming too closely tied to certain apps, but I think more of an evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of some of the more popular apps would be very helpful to use, and quite honestly would even help the developers of some of the GTD centric Apps do a better job in realizing the dream of creating the dream gtd app.

What do others think?

I think the choice of a list manager is not just personal, but changes over time. There really is no "dream gtd app." Suppose I review Omnifocus, and I note that it really bothers me that file attachments show up as little icons rather than showing the name of the file the way Things does. A reader might think "Things is better" but in fact never use file attachments at all with either program. Honestly, there are lots of software reviews, and I've learned more in 15 minutes of use than i've ever learned from any review. I think DavidCo has done a good job of telling people what the minimum functionality for list management is, giving examples of what workable implementations look like, and providing tips on usage.

p.s. By the way, you do know that option-command-' expands all notes in Omnifocus, just like command-' expands a single note? I couldn't tell exactly what you wanted.

cashdollar

Registered
repl

p.s. By the way, you do know that option-command-' expands all notes in Omnifocus, just like command-' expands a single note? I couldn't tell exactly what you wanted.[/QUOTE]

I do know that, thanks. Ideally what I'd be looking for is a perspective where project outcomes would be available while doing the weekly review. For right now the only place I can see to put that is the note field of the project. What I don't want to see is the action item notes, that's where I keep digital project support material. Ideally I'd like Omni to add a outcome field that would show be default in the weekly review perspective, instead of having to toggle on and off each of my projects.

As for their approach to tech. I agree with it, but when I saw the title of the podcast it read "What is the Perfect GTD List Manager", I got all excited. The podcast though didn't cover that, maybe they should have just avoided it, but the truth is there's a clamoring out there for assistance in utilizing technology to implement the system. If the topic's someplace David Co can't go in order to best promote the system I understand, but there are other venues in the forums and non-affiliated sites to provide that. I think there's a lot of opportunity to discuss technology implementation without promoting a particular brand of kool-aid. I'm sure they're looking for the proper balance.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I think there's a lot of opportunity to discuss technology implementation without promoting a particular brand of kool-aid. I'm sure they're looking for the proper balance.

Thanks for your candid feedback. You are so right in that it's a balance for us and we are actively looking for the best ways to present the information about implementation options for GTD without implying GTD needs to be about a particular tool. We will always stay true to GTD being a systematic approach, not a system. It's not tied to any one tool as the only way to make it work.

Thanks,
Kelly

cashdollar

Registered
Presenting Information

kelstarrising;67393 said:
Thanks for your candid feedback. You are so right in that it's a balance for us and we are actively looking for the best ways to present the information about implementation options for GTD without implying GTD needs to be about a particular tool. We will always stay true to GTD being a systematic approach, not a system. It's not tied to any one tool as the only way to make it work.

Thanks,
Kelly

Here's a suggestion, have a teleconference that's all call-in start a thread and frame the call-in on trusted system tools: what works, where do the system's stick, questions and tips. You could run a thread for a few weeks to have some fodder and stoke the flames. Keep the callers focused on what they like (boom), what doesn't work as well for them (boom), any questions. If there's enough callers on the call maybe even some of the questions could be addressed on the tele-conference or answered in the forums. You'd be playing the role of facilitator or call-in host. Keeping them focused, interesting, and moving.

One more thing on podcasts themselves. I've listened to almost all of them over the last 60 days and I've learned alot. Some have actually inspired me to change the way I do some things. I didn't listen chronologically so I don't know how they evolved in terms of sound quality. I used to own a radio production company and the sound was uneven to my ear. My suggestion if you/david/etc are happy with where the sound is never-mind (certainly didn't stop me from listening), but with an out of work or underemployed radio guy/gal and iMac with GarageBand (really - I learned this after spending tens of thousands on editing equipment) an iMac, you could get near radio quality for $10 - $12/hour or whatever pathetic rate, producers are pulling down out there. If you decide to go that route and would like some assistance let me know.

Anyway thanks for the podcasts, the connect site and gtd. I'm now the Director of the largest refugee shelter in the US and without GTD, I wouldn't have been able to keep the place open.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks!

Great ideas! Really appreciate you writing this up.

We'll look at the sound quality. I know it ranges a ton based on what equipment we're using. That one with me, DA & Robert was done with 3 mics, so that certainly could have contributed to it. And we didn't do much sound correcting afterward.

Thank you and I wish you all the best,
Kelly

TesTeq

Registered
Ask Leo Laporte.

kelstarrising;67403 said:
We'll look at the sound quality.

I would suggest you to ask Leo Laporte to provide some technical tips how to make your podcasts louder.

alsa

Registered
I think I have listened to all the podcasts pretty much as soon as they came out and this last one was quite informative. The message was quite clear: Davidco isn't endorsing any one app as the official GTD app, and the reasons were delivered quite well.

GTD isn't a system per se, but a systematic approach, and various systems can be adapted to it.