Pointers for Outlook Programming

deepakm

Registered
I would appreciate some pointers on online resources for outlook programming. I have good knowledge of C/Unix/Scripts but have zero knowledge of windows,VC++ etc.

What I am trying to do is to make some rudimentary (for now) additions to outlook in form of common GTD actions (such as file,delegate, create a task,create a project from an email....) A subgoal of this is to learn something new in the process.

Thanks

Deepak

P

PDJunieB

Internal Outlook programming is done with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

The best way to start is to create a macro within Outlook, and then look at the code that is generated (Alt-F11). You'll get a basic idea of what to do with that as a starting point.

I've done lots of Outlook programming, so feel free to ask questions as you go along.

whkratz

Registered
PDJunieB said:
Internal Outlook programming is done with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

The best way to start is to create a macro within Outlook, and then look at the code that is generated (Alt-F11). You'll get a basic idea of what to do with that as a starting point.

Just so there is no confusion -- The statement above sounds a bit as though you can "record" a macro via keystrokes, and then look at the code for that macro in the VB Editor. However, Outlook, unlike Word and Excel, does not allow for "recording" macros in that manner. You must open the VB Editor and code your macro or subroutine directly in the Editor.

Regards.....Bill Kratz

P

PDJunieB

You're right. Sorry for my misstatement.

You can record macros first in Word or Excel, and look at the code there for ideas. Then transfer over the basics to the editor in Outlook.