Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 4 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years +

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

MellowEnchant

Registered
Just for curiosity :) + If you could give a fellow GTDer, who's only starting out one important lesson from your experience, what would it be? (What are your biggest learnings)

-----
My learnings:

1) Process your inbox daily! I have a timer for 30 Minutes and try to get to zero (Does not happen every time)

2) Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review!
I have fallen off the wagon multiple times because I "did not find the time" or have procrastinated on the weekly review.

Renee Murray

Registered
You mentioned the biggest two already so I'll go on down the line...
1) Treat backlog like backlog. [This one is for the procrastinators out there. I will form a club for us - but it will have to be later. ; )] If it has been in your inbox past a certain length of time it likely isn't truly current work. If it is, it will show up again. Draw a line in the sand, move it to a backlog project and schedule time to work on it. Don't keep it in in so long it causes you to avoid your inbox because you know you will never finish. Mine is typically 2 to 3 weeks depending on the time of year and flow of my work. Listen to the webinar on dealing with backlog.

2) If you are struggling, listen to some webinars on repeat. Do a guided weekly review if you can't do your own. If your tools aren't working, tweak or change them. Don't worry about getting it perfect - just do it.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Just for curiosity :) + If you could give a fellow GTDer, who's only starting out one important lesson from your experience, what would it be? (What are your biggest learnings)

-----
My learnings:

1) Process your inbox daily! I have a timer for 30 Minutes and try to get to zero (Does not happen every time)

2) Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review! Do your weekly review!
I have fallen off the wagon multiple times because I "did not find the time" or have procrastinated on the weekly review.

I really like your 1 and 2. David Allen calls weekly review the "critical success factor."

vaughan76

Registered
My biggest learning over the 10 years I’ve been working at this is that it’s less about being productive and more about creating the clear space I need to be present. Yes, I get plenty done, and I’ve learned the value of a well-crafted next action, but for me, at this point in my life, it’s not about sprinting from one action to the next but about building a system that allows me to get things out of my head, make good choices about what to do next, and be present in my life.

vaughan76

Registered
My biggest learning over the 10 years I’ve been working at this is that it’s less about being productive and more about creating the clear space I need to be present. Yes, I get plenty done, and I’ve learned the value of a well-crafted next action, but for me, at this point in my life, it’s not about sprinting from one action to the next but about building a system that allows me to get things out of my head, make good choices about what to do next, and be present in my life.

I’m thinking about this a bit more and am realizing that there’s more nuance. Part of what allows clear space is, actually, that well-crafted next action. Being able to sit down to “do” and engage cleanly and fully requires clarity on what it is that I’m doing. And when there isn’t clarity, sometimes that means that the next action starts with the words “get clarity on...”.

Ah, the levels of this stuff...