• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Portability of email provider

Hello, I have a slightly technical question about IMAP email, but it's very GTD for me.

I use an email account as my list manager, and there are lots of reasons why I love it which I won't bore you with.

I am happy that I have portability at the client side. If I decided I did not like my Mac's built-in client for email, I could just switch to a 3rd party email app and carry on. I could switch completely away from the Mac too, and use Linux or a PC. All good at this end, I have control.

But what about the server side? If I wanted to take my lists away from my IMAP provider, would it be possible to point my IMAP email client at a new IMAP provider ( or even my own server if I bought one ) and push all my email history into a replacement service? I'm not talking about redirection of new messages, but moving it all - lock, stock and barrel - because my messages are not historic, they are live actions.

( I use MobileMe, but what I want is for this to be irrelevant ).
 
Top