Possibly a daft question about contexts

Caroline

Registered
Hi all, just about to start implementing GTD and have a daft question about contexts. I’ve decided I broadly need separate work and home systems due to the nature of my work and that’s fine. However I’m really struggling with listing next actions by contexts such as @computer or @phone as pretty much everything I need to do for work for example would need the computer. Therefore I will have a really big computer list and very small other ones as I rarely call anyone etc.

Do you have to use the contexts in this way or are there other ways people manage this aspect of the system?

David Parker

GTD Connect
There are no daft questions here on the Forums - but there may be daft answers . . .

Don't get too hung up on Contexts. They're one of the building blocks of the GTD approach and, if I may quote from David's revised book, a Context is a physical or psychological environment within which reminders and information are most effectively sorted for access.

The examples given are when one is at home, in a staff meeting, at the computer, feeling creative, near a phone, having a converation with a partner, etc.

When the book was orginal written, computers tended to be on desks, so the physical environment was the deciding factor as to which list an action went on. Now computers (in the form of smart phones and tablets) are so portable and we're rarely without one, that the deciding factor might be more pyschological or take a different physical form.

For instance, I do my Weekly Review out of the house away from distractions, and, when I worked for a living, I would go to the works canteen to do my review. So I have an @cafe Context where I put my Weekly Review actions and also where I put articles that I'd like to read away from distractions. So you could have an @away_from_distractions Context.

In the past, splitting an @computer Context by application - Word, Excel etc. - was often advised, but that was more approriate when firing up each application (and maybe the computer itself) was such a time consuming activity.

Design contexts that work for you and change them if they don't.

If you end up with 95% of your actions on one context, you'll not want to tackle them. Splitting them into smaller groups (contexts) will help.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

Dave

mcogilvie

Registered
You are correct that Today most people can do many tasks in many physical contexts. If you are comfortable with a long @computer list, you're in good company. On the other hand, if your @computer list seems hard to handle, consider trying to break it up in a way that makes sense to you. For example, I have 3 lists: @email/web tends to be the longest. It generally has plenty of quick tasks on it, but I can only work on it when I have internet access. @computer generally has more substantial actions, and is shorter. I also have a list of next actions I can only do in my home office, e.g. personal finances.

Oogiem

Registered
However I’m really struggling with listing next actions by contexts such as @computer or @phone as pretty much everything I need to do for work for example would need the computer. Therefore I will have a really big computer list and very small other ones as I rarely call anyone etc.

Do you have to use the contexts in this way or are there other ways people manage this aspect of the system?
Split the @Computer context into something more manageable. I split by application, even though I usually have nearly all my apps I use regulary open. The mental energy to switch from one app to another costs me more than the mental energy to switch projects by doing indivdual actions on them when in the same program. I only switch out when I really need to for some reason.

I also compartmentalize my apps to devices. For example, I never look at e-mail on my phone or iPad, only on my main computer. Not because I couldn't but because I am more efficient when I do it where I have full access to all my computer and paper files.

I don't read kindle books on my phone, I could but the screen is so small I don't enjoy it so I don't even try. Ditto for PDF and other files located in GoodReader. I don't use GoodReader on my main computer because I can read everything on it using apps like LibreOffice or Acrobat directly. Those apps are not on my tablet or phone.

I have a lot of calls that have to be made during business hours so I have an @Phone Business Hours and @Phone lists that are separate.

I also split out @Computer Internet as that is often a limiting factor for me.

Contexts should be fluid, feel free to create use and delete them as necessary to make sure you are not dropping the ball but also that you are not overwhelmed.