Possibly really stupid question--Why would I want a web-based GTD app?

Aspen

Registered
I am looking for a planner app for my new Android-based reader/tablet. I have been reading reviews all over the place and the highest rated options looks like "Got to do" synced with toodledo.

I'm in the process of checking them both out online, and my issue with toodledo is the same as my previous issue with Remember the Milk. I downloaded it, I liked a lot of the features, but I was just not going to go online whenever I had something to add to my system so it was worthless as a tool to keep me on track.

Do you use the online option primarily as a backup system? Cause that I understand, but since most of my day is spent away from the computer, an online compilation of my GTD system would do me no good in keeping me productive throughout the day. Plus I just hate using web-based programs... I only check my yahoo email about once a week because I hate having to go and log in.

I know I am missing something here! I just want a program to sit on my tablet and run my GTD. I'd assume the best place to back it up would be to my laptop, but there must be something about having a web-based program to sync to because several reviewers wouldn't even consider an android app without that feature.

Help?

ScottL

Registered
There are several of us who agree with you but I gather we are in the minority.

" was just not going to go online whenever I had something to add to my system" That is just one of the reasons I can think of.

I realize that privacy is almost gone in our society, but I still don't want my information in the cloud. Plus what happens if you don't have web access at that moment.

Signed,

A luddite ;-)

mickmel

Registered
Aspen;83369 said:
I was just not going to go online whenever I had something to add to my system so it was worthless as a tool to keep me on track.
I'm not sure what you mean by "go online". Back in the days of dial-up, that was certainly a consideration. Nowdays, your internet is always online (via cable or DSL), and most people leave their computer (and browser) up 24/7.

since most of my day is spent away from the computer, an online compilation of my GTD system would do me no good in keeping me productive throughout the day.
Agreed, that would be a problem.

Plus I just hate using web-based programs... I only check my yahoo email about once a week because I hate having to go and log in.
Again, why? Leave it up and it's always there. A big part of GTD (for me) is not wasting time. Leaving my email open saves me time every time I need to check it (no opening a browser, no logging in, etc).

I just want a program to sit on my tablet and run my GTD. I'd assume the best place to back it up would be to my laptop, but there must be something about having a web-based program to sync to because several reviewers wouldn't even consider an android app without that feature.
When you say tablet, I'd assume an iPad. Your best bet would be one that syncs data locally to your device, like Nozbe. It'll store everything on the tablet, and then just sync to the web when you have a connection. From home, you can access their site to see what you've got going on. Again, I just leave it open in a tab in my browser so that I always have very quick access to it.

Hope that helps.

Oogiem

Registered
Aspen;83369 said:
I know I am missing something here!

Well I don't think you are missing anything. Here are the two main issues I have with all cloud based apps:

Lack of Access (I live where internet is not ubiquitous)
Lack of Security (No server outside of my control can ever be secure)

I can see the need for additional backups, but I do that by having hourly backups on a RAID server I control, plus 2 copies on thumb drives one in each of 2 separate media rated fireproof safes located in 2 completely different buildings. Additional archive data is on burned in gold master CDs also in the media safe.

mcogilvie

Registered
Aspen;83369 said:
I was just not going to go online whenever I had something to add to my system so it was worthless as a tool to keep me on track.

Do you use the online option primarily as a backup system? Cause that I understand, but since most of my day is spent away from the computer, an online compilation of my GTD system would do me no good in keeping me productive throughout the day. Plus I just hate using web-based programs... I only check my yahoo email about once a week because I hate having to go and log in.

I know I am missing something here! I just want a program to sit on my tablet and run my GTD. I'd assume the best place to back it up would be to my laptop, but there must be something about having a web-based program to sync to because several reviewers wouldn't even consider an android app without that feature.

Help?

I don't know your situation, so let me describe mine. There is an entry for Toodledo on my browser bar on all three computers I use (office, home, travel laptop). I click on that entry, and Toodledo loads in a few seconds. My office and home are (reasonably) secure, so I let the browser remember my password. I also have Toodledo on my iphone and ipad. They sync in 1-5 seconds typically. They are not web applications, but stand-alone apps that sync with the on-line Toodledo database. Toodledo uses a redundant server securely hosted by a well-known hosting company. Everything is backed up, there is emergency power, et cetera. The data I have available to me at any time is generally completely up to date, wherever I am in the U.S. (abroad is different). This is different from backing up data, and better in most people's opinion. There are also popular applications such as Omnifocus with cloud sync that do not have a web interface. Some people do use a mobile app primarily, and rarely use a corresponding desktop or web app. For them, cloud sync is mostly effortless backup.

clango

Registered
Aspen;83369 said:

Help?

I think Got To Do could be your solution. Or at least is mine. I use it infact everywhere when is not convenient a pc online.

Thanks to Got To Do you can review your list wherever you are, even if, far from online. Then when you like, you could sync updating the two systems

Aspen

Registered
Thanks for the replies

Just want to say thank you to those of you who answered my question, and it appears it does have a lot to do with where you are most of the day and how comfortable you are with having your information *out there*.

I do indeed generally leave a brower open, but I don't allow my browser to remember any passwords and when I leave home everything gets closed down especially anything I have to log in to access. Those decisions do make me much less likely to use internet-based programs. In addition to that preference, not having access to a computer for big chunks of the day definitely helps me make my decision also.

Again, for those of you who shared your systems, you did explain clearly why it works for you and I am happy to hear I am not the only person who is way too security-concerned to have my important stuff backed up in the cloud :) Gonna see how I do with Got to do only.

jrdouce

Registered
The main reason I want a system with an on-line interface is usability. I don't have an iPad, and if I get one,I still won't have it with me everywhere - a I do my phone.

Entering data, reviewing lists, and reading blocks of text on a small phone is easier than ever, but it is still a long way from the convenience of a 22" monitor and full keyboard. 80% of my workday is at my computer. I have an desktop always on at home, so a PC is my main interface. It's critical to GTD to have a portable system, so the phone app satisfies that requirement. This morning I typed 7 new @Errands into my PC, they are available on my phone for when I'm on the road in a few minutes.

I'm currently using Remember the Milk. I'm not thrilled with the web interface, but it meets my needs better than any other I've tried. The Android client is perfect (for me), though.

PeterW

Registered
You mentioned that your tablet is Android-based so it's worth mentioning that in addition to Got-To-Do, another app has just been announced: Ultimate ToDo List. Here is the link: http://www.todolist.co .

I'm also a Toodledo user and love cloud-based apps. The thing to remember is that you don't need to use Toodledo with Got-To-Do or any other app that syncs with it (e.g. iPhone and iPad apps). If you only need the data on your device, there's never any need to sync it.

I'm spend 90% of my time in front of a PC so always have Toodledo running in a browser and sync it with Appigo Todo on my iPhone for mobility.

Aspen

Registered
Thanks

I have Got to Do on my device now, but I am looking into Ultimate to do list also now. I appreciate the help, and if I worked in my office more maybe I'd be more interested in synching *to the cloud*, but the security issue is also a pretty biggie for me.

I definitely understand (and even better now) why some ppl would want part of their system to be web-based, but I still think the reviewer that wouldn't even consider a program that DIDN'T synch online is wrong. I am also convinced there are more ppl, like me, for whom it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Very much appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll always be open to ideas of android-based apps to try!

jaworthen

Registered
Another Option

There is another relatively new Android application that has been released called Due Today. I personally like it more than Got To Do, and the developer is well-established and very responsive. No relationship - just a product that I really like. I'll also look at Ultimate To Do and compare. Good Luck!

jaworthen

Nutrition Dude

Registered
I use remember the milk on my pc and iphone and it has an offline option which I use.
(i have a desktop icon for RTM too, I use linux tho so may be different for you)

Plus I have it sync up with Evolution - which is my email, which also syncs to google calendar, which also syncs to my iphone calendar.

Overall i have things that sync up pretty well, plus I use the emal reminders features and I have to say even when I moved and then my office fell through leaving me with vurtually no internet for 3 weeks - I could use stuff.

I also use dropbox, which again has an iphone app - between the things I have it worked for me at the moment.

As for security, if its encrypted on transmission, and then encrypted at server so even the server owner cannot tell (without breaking the encryption) whats there - then that is secure enough for me, and apparently for my data protection obligations too.

Dropbox is great, because all my data files are in the folder, not only does it back up to the cloud but the data is on my 2 other machines as well