Post about text editor. Which text editor is best to use? Is this something I should be focusing on at beginning of implementing GTD?

Which text editor will you use?

• Microsoft Word

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • WPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No text editor application

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Note pad (default text editor installed on windows PCs)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Googled drive online word

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Getting things done post about text editor or Microsoft word

ITM for getting things done forum

Give example how myself activated a type of “family Microsoft 365” subscription which gave myself latest access to word 365 on my laptop – but says it is something which is just a one month trial (and afterwards reoccurring billing would be 80 British pounds –

So myself Tim think I need to cancel the subscription, because I wouldn’t think that that type of cost plan of £80 would not be worth myself with features of Microsoft family where it was saying about having 1TB storage and being able have features with 6 other users…

But at the same time myself Tim am looking for a type of text editor – which would be able to use, where I got a type of new windows 11/10 laptop I believe (and it has not preinstalled normal text editor on it.

Reason why thought making forum post about this – because I searched in this public forum Microsoft 365 and I see there were 4 other users which made threads about topic of it.

I was thinking to myself – does the GTD company do type of PDFs to help set up type of computer programme applications like Microsoft 365?

I had downloaded a version of a text editor called “wps” , seemed okay, but wasn’t completely sure about it with the, just the features that it has with free version.

What text editor will Allen use?

What text editors do people on this forum use? Should I make a poll?
What text editors do people reccommend?

I also had another question could ask persons @John Forrister " ST

Cpu_Modern

Registered
For Windows, yes?

1. As a pure text editor for Windows use Notepad++ or UltraEdit, the first one is completely free.
  2. If you absolutely need to use a "Office" Suite then maybe the free LibreOffice is good enough? Use this sort of software as seldom as possible.
There is also other type of software for Windows that may serve you well for your GTD setup:

ITM thanks
I may look into I may look into seven types of examples you shared here"

gtdstudente

Registered
For Windows, yes?

1. As a pure text editor for Windows use Notepad++ or UltraEdit, the first one is completely free.
  2. If you absolutely need to use a "Office" Suite then maybe the free LibreOffice is good enough? Use this sort of software as seldom as possible.
There is also other type of software for Windows that may serve you well for your GTD setup:

On the end, use/defaulted to possibly less secure Google "Docs" and "Sheets" mostly due to "AutoSave" functionality and Google "Drive" filing capabilities

Cpu_Modern

Registered
possibly less secure Google "Docs" and "Sheets" mostly due to "AutoSave" functionality and Google "Drive" filing capabilities

Auto Save is also available in most desktop apps.

The problem with Google Docs is that the data is in the cloud, which means you don't own your data. Also, the cloud provider could just cut you off. If Google decided for some weird reason to lock your account, you cannot do anything against it.

And then, even if you download your data or delete portions of it, Google will still have all that. So they end up owning more of your data than yourself. From a privacy and democracy standpoint an absurd situation.

How people can use the cloud for their personal data is beyond me.

gtdstudente

Registered
Cpu_Modem,

Agree with your accuracy 100% . . . however, is there an alternative that has "AutoSave" and "Multi-Device Access" points?

Even with 'software' subscribing the vendor still owns the data . . . even when it comes to financial and tax 'software'?

Thank you very much

Cpu_Modern

Registered
You can set up your own cloud in your home. The product you buy for that is a NAS. For example Synology has good ones.

You could also just share file folders over your WiFi, you'd have to be careful how you access that with your phone.

Do you really need multi-device access? If yes, I would go with a NAS, it's a complete solution for everything you'd want.

gtdstudente

Registered
You can set up your own cloud in your home. The product you buy for that is a NAS. For example Synology has good ones.

You could also just share file folders over your WiFi, you'd have to be careful how you access that with your phone.

Do you really need multi-device access? If yes, I would go with a NAS, it's a complete solution for everything you'd want.
Cpu_Modern,

Definitely a new Project . . . thank you very GTD much!

RomanS

Registered
How people can use the cloud for their personal data is beyond me.
I use OneDrive together with Cryptomator (for free), so Microsoft is not able to read my encrypted files (but auto save does not work in this configuration). In addition I make local backups.

devon.marie

Registered
I highly recommend Obsidian. As someone with thumb drives of files I can no longer open because their format is too old to be supported (looking at you, old Word documents from college), I tend to stick to non-proprietary formats for my digital notes and writing, now. Obsidian saves everything as a Markdown file, and you can sync your data however you like as your Obsidian database is literally just a folder on your computer.

Oogiem

Registered
I highly recommend Obsidian. As someone with thumb drives of files I can no longer open because their format is too old to be supported (looking at you, old Word documents from college),
A thumbs up to Obsidian

Re Old Word Files, and old MacWrite files form the late 1980's, You can directly oppen most of them into Linre Office and recover most of the data but none of the formatting.

I use OneDrive together with Cryptomator (for free), so Microsoft is not able to read my encrypted files
Don't bet on that

For Windows, yes?

ITM I came back to this thread after my 30day trial with Microsoft expired , tried installing the first option you shared or mentioned in this post called note pad plus, after I looked at the ultra edit - thought it cost money, and also looked at the "in my diary soft ware" - thought
that I wasn't so sure about how it looks with the display/menus. I am not sure about notepad plus with the display also - how it actually looks to myself similar to something like python for example and doesn't seem to have a graphical presentation display that is "professional" or smart as something like windows* - but I guess it works as a text editor? "STN *not windows meant to write word*

ITM I came back to this thread after my 30day trial with Microsoft expired , tried installing the first option you shared or mentioned in this post called note pad plus, after I looked at the ultra edit - thought it cost money, and also looked at the "in my diary soft ware" - thought
that I wasn't so sure about how it looks with the display/menus. I am not sure about notepad plus with the display also - how it actually looks to myself similar to something like python for example and doesn't seem to have a graphical presentation display that is "professional" or smart as something like windows* - but I guess it works as a text editor? "STN *not windows meant to write word*

I have tried the note pad.

next try ultra edit - see on ultra edit says only 30day first free trial, so probably not worth for myself?

@Cpu_Modern - just tried libre office.
was thinking maybe is better than WPS because it doesn't seem to have any adverts or pop ups at all - why would you say you use this text editor seldomly? 'l

For Windows, yes?

"i wonder where you found out about these software's from?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
"i wonder where you found out about these software's from?
As the computer geek I am, I just pulled them out of the top of my head.

Generally speaking, if you research something like this, you can check out Quora:

Wikipedia has many lists of various softwares:

Cpu_Modern

Registered
- just tried libre office.
was thinking maybe is better than WPS because it doesn't seem to have any adverts or pop ups at all - why would you say you use this text editor seldomly? 'l
I use this kind of software seldomly, because the fundamental concept of an Office Suite is very rarely useful to me. Simple text editors are much better for most of my work. Here is the wisdom of computing professionals: use the right tool for the job. Also: use the best tool for the job.

As the computer geek I am, I just pulled them out of the top of my head.

Generally speaking, if you research something like this, you can check out Quora:

Wikipedia has many lists of various softwares:
thanks your probably tech savy

I don't normally use Quora or wikipedia
I use this kind of software seldomly, because the fundamental concept of an Office Suite is very rarely useful to me. Simple text editors are much better for most of my work. Here is the wisdom of computing professionals: use the right tool for the job. Also: use the best tool for the job.

I just tried installing it and think maybe it is better then first two you mentioned, it is a bit more better quality compared to notepad + maybe ... "STN