PRIORTIZING TIME MANAGEMENT

A

Anonymous

:oops: :oops:

I AM ABOUT TO LOSE MY POSITON BECAUSE OF TIME MANAGEMENT. IT SEEM THAT THE TASKS RUN ME..

I PLAN OUT MY DAY AND THINGS COME UP WHERE I DON'T GET THEM DONE OR IT TAKES LONGER TO COMPLETE THE TASK THAN I THOUGHT.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP.

I

intrigueme@aol.com

One piece of advice that I received from Hyrum Smith's works:

Always leave 30% of your day for "the unplanned."

This includes adding on 30% to the amount of time you THINK a task will take....

Also - I have found that I get more done by getting in one hour earlier than the rest of my co-workers (on average). This puts you in the "Proactive Mode" so that by the time they get in, they are "reacting" to the tasks & agendas for them that you have already set in motion.

8)

A

andmor

Threefold Model

Diva:

I'm going to assume that since you are a subscriber to this Board you know the essentials of GtD Principles, and particularly, Processing. If you are planning out your day and things come up that interfere with your plan, it is possible that you are overplanning, because the things that come up can't be anticipated. It is also possible that planning doesn't work well when you have so many interruptions that you don't have the ability to ignore.

DA discusses the nature of work in pages 196 and 198. Basically, he stresses that if the system is set up properly you can make instant decisions and feel comfortable that the things you are deferring are in the hopper and won't get lost. I think that this is a really big everyday battle and, unfortunately, this important topic seems to be one of the more difficult ideas to internalize. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it on this Board. Perhaps that section of the book will help you to feel more comfortable about the decisions that you (have to) make.

Also, you might try to "upward delegate" and ask your boss to decide which of your pressing tasks should be done first. (S)he can hardly blame you for not doing the things (s)he has agreed to defer.

Good luck

Andrew

stargazer_rick

Registered
Also, you might try to "upward delegate" and ask your boss to decide which of your pressing tasks should be done first. (S)he can hardly blame you for not doing the things (s)he has agreed to defer.
Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed, I sit down with my boss and have him prioritize my projects.

Actually, whenever I have to tell someone what his job is I tell them, "His job is to prioritize my To Do list." It's a fun (but true) little joke around the office.

Thanks,
Ricky

A

Anonymous

Boss

Sounds good (having boss prioritize for me), but my boss tells me that he's not getting paid to do my job. Part of my job is to be able to effectively prioritize.

DM

p.s. I wish he would sometimes though...

I

intrigueme@aol.com

Hmmmm.....

Boss = Higher Level of Authority/Responsibility (Higher Altitude/Bigger Picture) = Higher Salary

Direct Report = Lower Level of Authority/Repsonsibility (Lower Altitude/Little Picture) = Lower Salary

If your BOSS doesn't get paid ENOUGH to prioritize workflow; then you DEFINITELY don't!

A

Anonymous

Prioritizing

My boss pays me too much to spend his time trying to figure how I should be using my time. I wouldnt like doing that if I were him either!

Sure, he provides guidance on what his priorities are and I'm smart enough to figure out what mine should be in order to align with his. The primary responsibility for how I prioritize my work is mine though. Becuase he's not telling me what to do next (prioritizing my workflow) doesnt mean he isnt prioritizing his!

When I start wanting to lean on him telling me what to do next I have a little 'heart to heart' with myself called "grow up"!

:wink:

I

intrigueme@aol.com

I think you missed the point of my post - which (in a nutshell) was:

No amount of money (large or small, lack or abundance of) is an excuse to justify us not being responsible for our actions (including the actions of the people we are responsible for), the consequences thereof, and choosing which actions to take, and which ones not to take, in any given "present moment"

Money is a dubious standard to judge the quality of anything by

TesTeq

Registered
Honest relationship.

The successful delegation of tasks is possible only when the "honest two-way relationship" exists between you and your Boss. I mean the Boss must provide ALL the information that you need to prioritize your tasks and you must inform him in advance about ALL risks and possible delays in your work. But the Boss expects that YOU will decide what to do next and that these decisions will be reasonable.
Regards,
TesTeq

tfadams

Registered
There is a difference between your boss prioritizing your tasks and spending his time figuring out how you should be using your time.

If he can't tell you which of the tasks that he has assigned you is more important, then he doesn't understand the tasks well enough.

Once he communicates the importance (higher priority), then it *is* up to you to prioritize everything accordingly because you are responsible to get it all done.

How much you or he is paid doesn't make any difference.

A

Anonymous

Maybe. But prioritizing and making the best use of time seem to go hand in hand to me.

The point is not whether he can or not - its whether or not he should. I pay people to figure out for themselves what to do next, I'm busy with my own next actions! I am responsible for them getting it done, but I'm not a babysitter. Like DA says, no one else can tell you what your projects and next actions are, you have to make it up and make it happen (paraphrase).

Are we off topic yet?

A

andmor

DM said:
Are we off topic yet?

Not if Jewelry_Diva is reading this list.

One problem is that people are people and the boss has pressures too and might not be as organized as you are. So if he is responding to external events, such as new requests from his own boss, he might not have a Waiting For list and might not be thinking of the priorities he has previously given you. I am sure many people have bosses for whom "everything is important" and there are also many people who put that pressure on themselves by not discussing it with their boss. I have seen situations where a casual comment between Vice-Presidents has cascaded into a huge departmental project with a half-day presentation 3 months later where the Vice President has no idea why such a fuss is being made out of a simple remark. Half of the battle is making sure your boss is clear about what he is asking for and not just passing down something vague in the hope that you will figure out the question he should have asked his boss before accepting the assignment.

The important thing with up-to-date lists is not to be able to tell the boss what you have done so far on a project (he probably only cares about results, not plans), but to be able to negotiate with him the priorities of all of the projects he has delegated to you. If the boss says:"you decide what to do first", you may be left in the same no-win situation as when your mother buys you 2 ties and when you wear one of them she says: "So, you don't like the other one?"

Andrew

A

Anonymous

In this discussion we are presuming that there is one person who is your boss. In the corporate world most of the jobs have matrix reporting. This is true for finance jobs, where your have one straight line reporting and atleast couple of dotted line relationship.

At the end of the day even after negotiating with the various bosses on the priorites, you do leave all of them unsatisfied and sometimes complaining about something or the other. The only thing that one can do is warn them if there are chances of not meeting the deadlines, whether they like it or not.

Sri

stargazer_rick

Registered
Goodness, I'm almost sorry that I started this. :roll:

Maybe I should explain my own position a little more. I am a web developer. I currently have around 20 development projects going on. I work with other employees on these projects, but I'm not a manager myself. Overall these 20 projects will take a few months to totally wrap up. New ones will obviously come onto my radar during that time. It is his responsiblity as my manager (by definition) to work with me to make sure that my projects are prioritized according to the organization's goals. If I knew what the priorities were then I wouldn't need a manager. For other people in other organizations this may not work, but at my level it is perfect.

Thanks,
Ricky

TesTeq

Registered
2 ties

Andrew,
I like your example of expectations leading to confusion.
If the boss says:"you decide what to do first", you may be left in the same no-win situation as when your mother buys you 2 ties and when you wear one of them she says: "So, you don't like the other one?"
Thanks,
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

overwhelmed at work

As I see it you have several projects here:
Project 1. Describe your job for your own purposes. If possible, know explicitly what your boss wants and when, including what types of things to defer due to unexpected in-flow, when to pick these back up and what to direct elswhere. Asking the boss is not always they best way to find this out; sometimes observing is more useful for determining this or envisioning yourself. This depends on your boss and your level of employment. In a conventional "big business" setting I would refer to my written job description but if it differs greatly from what it seems is coming your way, you need to collect information about that and decide what your options are. If you don't have a job descirption, you might write one for yourself just to clarify your role and expectations. Your outcome should be a list of easy to read and remember statements describing what you are supposed to do.

Project 2. Determine what aspects of the job are hard and unmovable features and what are soft and flowing. Some jobs are 90% unexpected in-flow and about a 10% semi-permanent framework of firm and clear expectations around which the rest flows and bumps. For example, the work of a nurse in a doctor's office: the 10 % might include record all communications with patients in their charts, order supplies on Wednesdays, clean and sterilize stuff daily. This has to be done and is predictable. But the other 90% can be lots of things and they take on unknown amount of time on different days. This might be arrange for referrals, triage and follow-up, assist in procedures, educate patients on their illnesses and medications. If your job in fact has these two categories, your outcome will be two lists. Possibly the framework items are hard landscape for you and will need to be scheduled at certain times. In one of my jobs (homemaker), I am responsible for certain hard landscape items: getting kids to and from activities and school on-time, making 4 meals a day, one of which has a shifting time, for making sure all bedding and cloths are clean by Sunday, and all bills paid by the 5th and 15th of the month. Everything else is flowing. If meals get too complex, people wear a ridiculous number of cloths, or the bills get lost, this impeds the flowing items. If the flowing items suddenly change such as a kid getting sick, it impacts the framework and the fraemwork needs adjusting on a temporary basis.
Project 3. Identify barriers to completing the specific aspects of the work and then turn these into GTD projects unless you can dispense with them in one-step two-minute actions.

The suggestion that you start one-hour before everyone else is a great one if you can do it. It also makes a super good impression. Another helpful tactic when you put something through the GTD processing is to ask yourself "What will happen if I do this and what will happen if I don't"?

I

intrigueme@aol.com

This has really evolved to a much better level - due to some of the excellent suggestions made above.

As someone else said - I sincerely hope the person who started this thread is digesting all the responses we have offered.

Stargazer reminds me of an even more important standard to remember when using GTD (you will find it in-between the lines of text, if not in the actual book) - no two people do EXACTLY the same type of work, in EXACTLY the same environment. No one of thse suggestions on it's own may be the "Silver Bullet." You may have to combine a couple of them, and creatively brainstorn a couple of your own - if we've (collectively) inspired you.

Also, if you choose to implement any of the suggestions above, remember to approach it like a physical exercise or martial art. Start slowly, with gentleness and finesse (i.e. - I don't think any of us want you bursting through your bosses door, dumping your 'stuff' on their desk and saying 'prioritize it for me - NOW! lol)

One of the best things about GTD is that it encourages grace, finesse & creativity.

Make it your own.

A

Anonymous

Re: PRIORTIZING & TIME MANAGEMENT

JEWERLY_DIVA said:

I AM ABOUT TO LOSE MY POSITON BECAUSE OF TIME MANAGEMENT. IT SEEM THAT THE TASKS RUN ME..

I PLAN OUT MY DAY AND THINGS COME UP WHERE I DON'T GET THEM DONE OR IT TAKES LONGER TO COMPLETE THE TASK THAN I THOUGHT.

jkgrossi

Registered
Re: PRIORTIZING & TIME MANAGEMENT

JEWERLY_DIVA said:

It sounds to me like you're committing to more than you can handle. Being able to say "no" is a tough skill to learn, but developing this ability is essential to your survival in the working world.

I used to face similar problems all of the time until I learned to under-promise and over-deliver.

Another thing that you might want to try is being proactive in your communications with your boss. I liked the suggestion of asking your boss to help you priortize your work flow, and this is something that I do myself all of the time. I don't do it directly (i.e., walk into my boss's office with my task list), but I try to elicit the information more subtly.

If I'm working on a project that is high-priority and my boss comes to me with a new project, I'll ask her, "does this take precedence over project x?". Usually, my boss will answer either "yes" or "no", and I know how to adjust my work flow/delegate accordingly. If she says that they're both equally important, I then will as a question such as, "when do you need this by" and adjust my work flow accordingly.

It is unreasonable for any boss to expect their employees to be effective without answers to those questions. I disagree that it's not a manager's job to prioritize the work flow of their reports. Poor communication and ambiguious/incongruent expectiations is a sure-fire formula for failure. How will an employee ever hope to meet or exceed expectations if they don't know what the expectations are?

I always make sure that my expectations are clear with my reports, and I encourage them to say "no" if they have too much on their plate. I'd rather have them say "no" to something and let me know to bring it to someone else than for them to say "yes" and not get it done (that really makes me angry, because had they been honest with me I could have gotten it done elsewhere).

HTH,

Jim