Processing E-Mail

debbieg

Registered
Can someone please tell me ...

When you are processing your email in box and you move something to @ Action, do you also write it in your oranizing sytem NA list (by context) ? When do you review your @Action items for action?

I receive alot of emails that are winding up in the @read.review. How do others find time to keep up with all the email reading on top of newspapers, periodicals, magazines, etc?

debbieg

Stew

Registered
Unlike many others, I don't manage my e-mail separately from my other actions. Because I don't get that much e-mail, I haven't needed to create a separate system for it. After I've decided what to do with a new email, I archive it (in Gmail). If the message requires an action - for example "Reply to email from Bob", I'll write that in my @computer context. If I send an e-mail and am waiting for a reply, I'll write it on my Waiting For list. For me, it's much easier to treat email as just another communication tool and track messages alongside my other actions.

For read/review items:
I don't use a separate @read-review context. I tried it for a while, but it ended up being a black hole. Instead, if an e-mail is going to take longer than 2 minutes to read and process for actions, I'll archive it and add an action to my @computer list such as "Review 5/13/08 email from Joe". Now, when I perform this task, I'll glean it for projects and actions. RSS feeds get processed similarly to email.

I handle physical read/review items in much the same way. If it's something that I must read, I'll put it on my action lists, and note where the reading material is. I usually read non-work, fun items for an hour or so before bed. I keep these in a basket. However, this too would be a black hole if I didn't set aside time to go through it in the evenings.

This is just what I've found works for me, so YMMV, of course. Hope this helps!

kewms

Registered
Every action appears on the appropriate NA list, and all NA lists are kept together. (In a notebook, in my case.) Anything else pretty much guarantees that stuff will fall through the cracks.

Project-specific reading material is filed with other project support materials and given an NA in the appropriate context. General reading material goes in a "to be read" file, which I purge every few months.

My approach to reading is that it's impossible to read everything, so I don't try. I read everything project-related (which is quite a lot), and a sample of general stuff, and let the rest go.

Katherine