Processing inbox and project planning

Fedja_b

Registered
Hey everyone, I have a fairly dumb question to ask. I can't believe I'm stuck on it.

I try to process my inbox at the end of each day. This is how it goes for me:

INBOX
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Item 4

Item 1 is a two minute action so I do it right away. Item 2 is something I can delegate, so I track it on appropriate context list. Item 3 is a project. This is where I get stuck.

So, at this point, should I put a halt to processing my inbox? Really clarify the ins and outs of this project, figure out the very first next action, and if needed, go through the natural planning model? Or do I simply decide on the desired outcome, slot the project into the "Projects" list, and then handle the project planning down the line when I'm reviewing my list of projects?

I feel like clarifying the project breaks up my flow when processing the inbox. On the other hand, if I don't do it right away I run the risk of having a project that is not fully flashed out and does not have any next actions to do.

What is your experience with this? How do you process your inbox and what is your best practice? Go fully through the inbox or stop at each item (some of which maybe quite large projects) and then return to the inbox?

I hope I explained the problem clearly. Looking forward to any input!

dpsaroud

Registered
This was the reason I used to procrastinate a lot on clarifying. I do feel that clarifying requires a different "mental mode" than in-depth planning for a single project so now I try to limit it during processing my inbox: Is it actionable (i.e. do I want to move on this at the moment) and what is my desired outcome? If there is any more planning/reflecting to do before I can get started, I simply record "Outline project timeline", "Brainstorm potential strategies" etc. as the next action (just make sure it actually feels doable).
But I'm curious to hear what others say, I still struggle with this sometimes. I would not do it while reviewing projects because it will break up your review just as much as it does your inbox processing now. Better make it an explicit and separate next action.

cfoley

Registered
If I can do enough planning to get it off my mind in 2 minutes, then I do the planning.

If not, I make a judgement call. Sometimes I do the planning or sometimes the next action on my list is to do the planning.

I have discovered, however, that if I put an action to do the planning on my lists, then there is a tendency for me to procrastinate on it. I think that the real reason for me to defer the planning is often not really to do with time. Rather, it is because there is some emotional element to the project that I don't want to deal with. This causes the project to stall and there have been times when I have had a large number of projects waiting for the plans to be done.

gtdstudente

Registered
If I can do enough planning to get it off my mind in 2 minutes, then I do the planning.

If not, I make a judgement call. Sometimes I do the planning or sometimes the next action on my list is to do the planning.

I have discovered, however, that if I put an action to do the planning on my lists, then there is a tendency for me to procrastinate on it. I think that the real reason for me to defer the planning is often not really to do with time. Rather, it is because there is some emotional element to the project that I don't want to deal with. This causes the project to stall and there have been times when I have had a large number of projects waiting for the plans to be done.
cfoley,

Love it . . . GTD code:

G = 'Peaceful Planning' . . . begets . . . T = 'Peaceful Preparing' . . . begets . . . D = Peaceful Doing. . . . :)

Ps. GTD = Anti-Angst? :)

Pps. GTD is a way in which "all doings" can feel like hobby doing? :)

Last edited:

Fedja_b

Registered

So true. And I love it and hate it at the same time that the answer to most of life's question is: "it depends".

So there's no set rule then. If an item is a project that draws me in and that I can sufficiently plan, I should do it right then and there and continue processing my inbox afterwards. If I get stuck on the planning phase, I should jot that as the immediate next action of the project and continue with processing my inbox.

cfoley

Registered
I think the answer is whatever gets it off your mind.

Sometimes writing down that I have to do some planning really does get it off my mind, but sometimes it is a subtle way of avoiding what is really on my mind.

I suppose the best practice for robots would be to capture planning as the next action, but I don't think you are a robot. Are you a robot?

Matt_M

Registered
So true. And I love it and hate it at the same time that the answer to most of life's question is: "it depends".

So there's no set rule then. If an item is a project that draws me in and that I can sufficiently plan, I should do it right then and there and continue processing my inbox afterwards. If I get stuck on the planning phase, I should jot that as the immediate next action of the project and continue with processing my inbox.

You seem to have gotten it! I really like the reply that @dpsaroud gave as well. I would just add that not every project needs to be planned or requires extensive planning. Sometimes it just needs the next, physical, visible action to move it forward which is usually self-evident (e.g. "Have all tires on the car replaced" is the project and the very next action is "Call mechanic/store 555-5555 to schedule an appointment to purchase/replace the tires" or "Call friend/etc. for recommendation on a good auto servicing place/store").

Great question BTW! :)

gtdstudente

Registered
Hey everyone, I have a fairly dumb question to ask. I can't believe I'm stuck on it.

I try to process my inbox at the end of each day. This is how it goes for me:

INBOX
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Item 4

Item 1 is a two minute action so I do it right away. Item 2 is something I can delegate, so I track it on appropriate context list. Item 3 is a project. This is where I get stuck.

So, at this point, should I put a halt to processing my inbox? Really clarify the ins and outs of this project, figure out the very first next action, and if needed, go through the natural planning model? Or do I simply decide on the desired outcome, slot the project into the "Projects" list, and then handle the project planning down the line when I'm reviewing my list of projects?

I feel like clarifying the project breaks up my flow when processing the inbox. On the other hand, if I don't do it right away I run the risk of having a project that is not fully flashed out and does not have any next actions to do.

What is your experience with this? How do you process your inbox and what is your best practice? Go fully through the inbox or stop at each item (some of which maybe quite large projects) and then return to the inbox?

I hope I explained the problem clearly. Looking forward to any input!
"Or do I simply decide on the desired outcome, slot the project into the "Projects" list, and then handle the project planning down the line when I'm reviewing my list of projects?"

Would humbly suggest what you have expressed above is a very good and very efficient GTD best practice for Processing

Gardener

Registered
So, at this point, should I put a halt to processing my inbox? Really clarify the ins and outs of this project, figure out the very first next action, and if needed, go through the natural planning model?
Noooooooooooo.

Just my opinion, but absolutely not.

Or do I simply decide on the desired outcome, slot the project into the "Projects" list, and then handle the project planning down the line when I'm reviewing my list of projects?
This. Even this is a bit further than I would go, because I would just give the thing a quick working name sufficient to let me know what I'm talking about, put it in Projects, and make its first action, "Set a next action."

mcogilvie

Registered
Noooooooooooo.

Just my opinion, but absolutely not.

This. Even this is a bit further than I would go, because I would just give the thing a quick working name sufficient to let me know what I'm talking about, put it in Projects, and make its first action, "Set a next action."
Yes. If you are inspired, I think it’s ok to write some quick notes about your plans in a few minutes. Most projects just need a single next action anyway. Don’t over plan projects, and especially don’t interrupt higher-level work for it.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
To paraphrase David Allen:

When in doubt, decide on a next action.
When in doubt, write the project on your project list and continue processing your inbox.

Take your pick!