Processing Text Messages

craigsadie

Registered
I'm wondering if anyone has developed an elegant way/practice of processing text messages? More and more I find texts to be a collection point and I have not developed a habit of getting them into my system with any regularity.

Oogiem

Registered
I'm wondering if anyone has developed an elegant way/practice of processing text messages?
perhaps not elegant but i do it one of 2 ways. I either rewrite by hand a quick note with the task on my notebook and drop the page into my paper inbox or I email the text to myself for processing when I do e-mail.

For me text messages very rarely have actionable input. They are more immediate scheduling coordination, "We're at Pub now & have some stuff to return to you, when are you coming down?" or Status updates "Here's a picture of where we are at with the new bridge" or plain social interactions with little or no actions except to keep in touch with family and friends so I haven't worked on any better/faster/more elegant or efficient way of handling them in my GTD system.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone has developed an elegant way/practice of processing text messages? More and more I find texts to be a collection point and I have not developed a habit of getting them into my system with any regularity.

I treat it like any other inbox. A while back I decided to turn off all but the badge notifications on my text messages. I check it like my email, a couple times a day. As @Oogiem said, it's rare that I find truly actionable input in my texts, and most of that is <2 min actions.
But it happens regularly enough that I still make a habit of checking them. So rather than trying to find a way to import the text message into another system, I just process it like another inbox and capture the actionable stuff into my lists.

BadHairDay

Registered
I usually use a share function that my text messaging app provides and sent myself an email. I do the same for messengers as Email is a far more functional collection site for me.

MichaelB212

Registered
I simply include my text message app on my checklist of "ins" to get to zero during the weekly review. I dump anything actionable into my Things 3 inbox to process, and quick reply to anything <2 mins.

John Ismyname

Registered
I have mixed feelings about text messaging as too many people are slaves to their cel-phones. (I refuse to call them “smart phones”.)

My thought is that a text messages are another GTD inbox. This means I process this inbox on my terms. For me, every hour or two, I do this. If it’s an urgent matter, the sender of this communication should call me. I do not get alerts for text messages.

When somone texts me for this first time, I ask them who their cel phone provider is. Once I know this, I can send an email to their cel phone encouraging them to use this for the text messages.

https://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/

With email, I can process it through my native GTD platform – Outlook.

I use an ap called Airdroid, which allows me to send and receive texts from my PC Computer. From this I can cut and paste into Outlook

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I have been thinking about text messages lately, and came across this thread.

Now, we discuss how we get text messages into our GTD systems, and myself, I either jot it into Asana or forward the message either directly or via Braintoss.

However, how to handle the stuff you want to keep for reference (fun, memories, etc)?
I could always store these items some where else, but at the same time I think that SMS/is similar to email in the way that David suggests that it's best to deal with the material in it's own ecosystem. This is also true for stuff that you'd want to be able to refer to, forward, share, etc.

Now, if I had the opportunity to create folders, I would be fine - but I have yet not found an app that will let me do this (I'm on Android).

And as long as folders is not an option, I end up with keeping it all in my inbox, so to speak.

Not that stuff tends to fall through the cracks as I process actionable items and delete as much as I can - but I'm nowhere near an empty inbox...

I'd be happy to hear some thoughts about this!

Jeremy Jones

Registered
I have been thinking about text messages lately, and came across this thread.

Now, we discuss how we get text messages into our GTD systems, and myself, I either jot it into Asana or forward the message either directly or via Braintoss.

However, how to handle the stuff you want to keep for reference (fun, memories, etc)?
I could always store these items some where else, but at the same time I think that SMS/is similar to email in the way that David suggests that it's best to deal with the material in it's own ecosystem. This is also true for stuff that you'd want to be able to refer to, forward, share, etc.

Now, if I had the opportunity to create folders, I would be fine - but I have yet not found an app that will let me do this (I'm on Android).

And as long as folders is not an option, I end up with keeping it all in my inbox, so to speak.

Not that stuff tends to fall through the cracks as I process actionable items and delete as much as I can - but I'm nowhere near an empty inbox...

I'd be happy to hear some thoughts about this!

I use Todoist as my all-in-one tracking system, and that's available to me on all browsers and via an app on both my work and personal cell phones.

As a result, if I really need to keep track of something from a text, I can screenshot the text, and then crop the image to just the information I want to retain.

Then in Todoist, I will make an item in an appropriate folder (action, project, reference, someday, etc.) and attach the image I've just taken the screenshot of.

It's a couple of steps, and for anyone who hasn't dealt with images much there are some skills to learn. But, I find it's the best way for me to quickly record something like that.

Murray

Registered
One thing that has been a step forward for me recently has been switching to an SMS app that allows me to archive threads. The native Samsung Messages app did not have this function, but Google Messages does. Along with many other apps I'm sure.

So once I have replied to a message (and captured any actions or reference I need), I archive the thread. Have attached a screenshot of my currently empty Messages inbox. (I usually leave the thread with my partner in there for convenience, but I left it out of the screenshot for privacy)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220830-064513_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220830-064513_Messages.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 13

Jared Caron

One thing that has been a step forward for me recently has been switching to an SMS app that allows me to archive threads. The native Samsung Messages app did not have this function, but Google Messages does. Along with many other apps I'm sure.

So once I have replied to a message (and captured any actions or reference I need), I archive the thread. Have attached a screenshot of my currently empty Messages inbox. (I usually leave the thread with my partner in there for convenience, but I left it out of the screenshot for privacy)
Does anyone know of anything like this for iOS that can replace the native messaging app?

James M

Registered
Does anyone know of anything like this for iOS that can replace the native messaging app?
On iOS 16, the Messages app now offers an "Unread" filter view. And the ability to mark a message as unread if needed.

Somewhat strangely I can only get this to work from Settings > Messages > "Filter Unknown Senders" = On

wpost

Registered
Signal. It is available for iOS and lets you archive threads. I presume it can replace the native messaging app on iOS (it can on Android).

Another advantage of Signal is that it is also available for desktop (macOS, Windows, Linux). This lets me process and respond to messages from laptop and desktop computers, which is sometimes more convenient.

Jared Caron

On iOS 16, the Messages app now offers an "Unread" filter view. And the ability to mark a message as unread if needed.

Somewhat strangely I can only get this to work from Settings > Messages > "Filter Unknown Senders" = On
Thank you for this! Life changing. I'm not usually an early adopter of new os versions bit this aline had been worth the update