Procratination Insight, now how to fix?

malisa

Registered
jesig;80718 said:
I should say this, because the topic of "how to write" keeps coming up. The problem for me isn't the writing, so freewriting and brainstorming doesn't solve the issue. In writing an academic paper, the actual composition of the paper is often the most painless part. Maybe others have trouble with the act of writing, so the suggestions are helpful, but my issue is just moving the rock to get going on the project before the situation becomes dire. As a result of my squeezing everything into the last possible minute time and time again, my research is often lacking, my bibliographies are too short, etc. So even though I put out a nicely-written paper, it's not reflective of my true capabilities as a researcher, and isn't quite good enough to get me recognized in my field. The issue is the procrastination on the whole project, not the actual act of writing.

You and I together would make the perfect student. I stopped at my MA because the actual writing was so painful. I would research and research and research and research...you get the idea.

So I'm working on developing new habits, which, as Gardner pointed out so well, is a project unto itself.

Thanks for reviving this thread and highlighting the advice from gardener. It's very appropriate for me right now.

And congrats on your progress.

MikeC

Registered
One interesting point of view came from Dr. Scott Peck who wrote The Road Less Traveled. He said that, basically, we (you know- US procrastinators!) want the reward before we accomplish the work. We have it exactly backwards. For example, I am playing golf this Saturday morning and then I will work on my tax return. Should be the opposite: I will complete my tax return and then schedule a golf game. I blame perfectionism for my procrastination. Maybe sometimes fear. But I think the reality is "I want the reward before I do the work!" I really appreciate this thread!