Productively Using OneNote recording is available

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
The recording of our webinar on Productively Using Microsoft® OneNote® is available.

Learn how to get the most out of OneNote for managing your projects and reference. This webinar covers:
  • Understanding the key features and functions
  • Using OneNote to manage projects (individual or shared)
  • Integrating OneNote with Outlook Tasks, Email, and Calendar

Whether you're new to OneNote or more experienced and want to dive deeper, you'll learn helpful tips, tricks, and strategies to get the most out of it for your workflow.

Video

Audio

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Thanks for the webinar Kelly.

Out of curiocity, why not demonstrate a Microsoft tool on Microsoft Windows and instead of the Mac app, show both the Office suite program (the one with the many features) and the Windows 10 app (pretty identical to the Mac/Web version you showed)?

I think the majority of the onenote users will be on Windows because 1) it's part of MS Office and 2) it's one of the few reference options on windows that's decent. It personally felt a bit strange to me to hear you say things about the Windows version with of a Microsoft tool in screenshots while looking at a Mac screen.

Last edited:

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks for the webinar Kelly.

Out of curiocity, why not demonstrate a Microsoft tool on Microsoft Windows and instead of the Mac app, show both the Office suite program (the one with the many features) and the Windows 10 app (pretty identical to the Mac/Web version you showed)?

I think the majority of the onenote users will be on Windows because 1) it's part of MS Office and 2) it's one of the few reference options on windows that's decent. It personally felt a bit strange to me to hear you say things about the Windows version with of a Microsoft tool in screenshots while looking at a Mac screen.
Because right before the webinar my demo PC laptop crapped out, so I had to do it on my Mac.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Kelly didn't let it show, but the 30 minutes before we went live were a bit of a pressure cooker. The Windows 10 laptop went nuts with the Microsoft logins. It would not allow the demo account to log in, and wouldn't log out of another account, despite multiple reboots. I've had this happen some on the Mac as well. Luckily there's an official license removal tool for the Mac. After I post this I will look for similar for Windows.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I had no idea from the recording. It just struck me as an odd choice, but I’m wiser now.
I appreciate that you noticed and asked and gave me a chance to whine a little.

For the most part, I really like the cross-platform functionality of the Microsoft apps. But every once in awhile the login gremlin decides I'm getting too much done.

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
While the cross-platform syncing is way better now, for me personally, the Windows 10 app version (similar to the Mac and Web version) feels like a “stripped down light version” compared to the original office suit version. Also feels a bit less stable.

Stefan Godo

GTD Connect
The recording of our webinar on Productively Using Microsoft® OneNote® is available.

Learn how to get the most out of OneNote for managing your projects and reference. This webinar covers:
  • Understanding the key features and functions
  • Using OneNote to manage projects (individual or shared)
  • Integrating OneNote with Outlook Tasks, Email, and Calendar

Whether you're new to OneNote or more experienced and want to dive deeper, you'll learn helpful tips, tricks, and strategies to get the most out of it for your workflow.

Video

Audio
thanks for posting - the recording quality could be a bit better - thanks for considering this for future recordings.

Julie Jones

Registered
While the cross-platform syncing is way better now, for me personally, the Windows 10 app version (similar to the Mac and Web version) feels like a “stripped down light version” compared to the original office suit version. Also feels a bit less stable.
You can still download and use the regular version of OneNote, which is part of Office365. It is still free.
Instead of using the Windows Store which has the Windows 10 version, go to https://www.onenote.com/download.
Near the the bottom of the page is the download link that will download an Office installer for the Office365 version of OneNote.
One of the most important differences to me is that with OneNote for Windows 10 you can only save in the cloud. OneNote (Office365) allows storing notebooks locally too.

Julie Jones

Registered
OneNote 365 also has some addition features that are very useful for sharing. Using the history toolbar you can show unread pages, mark them as read, etc.

OneNote is a big part of my GTD setup. I use it for all my reference material. It is so easy to send an email to OneNote, print to OneNote (reciepts for online purchases). I use OfficeLens on my phone to take photos of receipts, etc and send to OneNote. Search is stellar, and with OCR everything can become searchable. I constantly use screen capture to grab small parts of the screen and paste into onenote. I copy images from the web. Text I copy from the web automatically adds a link to the web page. It makes research easy. For complex projects, as opposed to a simple set of steps to accomplish a task, I use OneNote for the project documentation and only put tasks in Nirvana. OneNote is where I do life planning and the "higher altitudes" of GTD. All my true Someday/Maybe items go in OneNote. All my reference type lists live in OneNote (although I might transition so of the "do" type of lists, such as trips I want to take, or things I would like to buy to Nirvana, or I might not, because task managers come and go, but OneNote has been constant in the more than ten years I have been using GTD. (Sorry for the blurting)

Ridwan

Registered
OneNote 365 also has some addition features that are very useful for sharing. Using the history toolbar you can show unread pages, mark them as read, etc.

OneNote is a big part of my GTD setup. I use it for all my reference material. It is so easy to send an email to OneNote, print to OneNote (reciepts for online purchases). I use OfficeLens on my phone to take photos of receipts, etc and send to OneNote. Search is stellar, and with OCR everything can become searchable. I constantly use screen capture to grab small parts of the screen and paste into onenote. I copy images from the web. Text I copy from the web automatically adds a link to the web page. It makes research easy. For complex projects, as opposed to a simple set of steps to accomplish a task, I use OneNote for the project documentation and only put tasks in Nirvana. OneNote is where I do life planning and the "higher altitudes" of GTD. All my true Someday/Maybe items go in OneNote. All my reference type lists live in OneNote (although I might transition so of the "do" type of lists, such as trips I want to take, or things I would like to buy to Nirvana, or I might not, because task managers come and go, but OneNote has been constant in the more than ten years I have been using GTD. (Sorry for the blurting)

Wow! I have never thought OneNote could be seamlessly integrated with the GTD system. I use Evernote and Todoist and both are up for renewal soon. I purchased Nirvana's lifetime subscription ages ago. Now I'm looking to take advantage of Nirvana & OneNote. Slowly I will be moving notes and reference materials to OneNote and tasks to Nirvana.

Julie Jones

Registered
Wow! I have never thought OneNote could be seamlessly integrated with the GTD system. I use Evernote and Todoist and both are up for renewal soon. I purchased Nirvana's lifetime subscription ages ago. Now I'm looking to take advantage of Nirvana & OneNote. Slowly I will be moving notes and reference materials to OneNote and tasks to Nirvana.
It really does work well, and there are OneNote apps for iOS and I imaging android.