Project confusion

KW7

Registered
If something is a project, do I place all of the steps in the various contexts? I'm listening to GTD as an audiobook now and it seems that the idea is to have a the project in a projects list and then the steps or tasks in various contexts but that seems like it might be inefficient if I have time to do so several steps in a row.

Let me give an example. I recently gained 10 new clients in a short amount of time. (I use Evernote to track all of my tasks, contexts, etc.) I created a note in Evernote with the title "Onboard: Sally Smith". Within the note were checkboxes for 1) send signed paperwork to administrator, 2) verify paperwork processed, 3) call client to discuss goals, 4) enter client info in CRM software. So I had one note with the four steps which went into "@Work PC" context. Having them in one place helped remind me what was done and what remained. I feel like it would have been too much clutter to have 4 separate tasks floating around -- especially since there were 10 clients going through the process at once.

If I'm doing this incorrectly please let me know. I'd really like to hear how others handle this topic. I feel like this and a consistent Weekly Review are the major issues for me right now. It would be very helpful to see 10 to 15 examples of specific projects and how they move through the GTD system. I'm on the verge of improvement but it's difficult while I learn these habits.

Thanks again for all of your input and assistance.

Oogiem

Registered
If something is a project, do I place all of the steps in the various contexts? I'm listening to GTD as an audiobook now and it seems that the idea is to have a the project in a projects list and then the steps or tasks in various contexts but that seems like it might be inefficient if I have time to do so several steps in a row.

Let me give an example. I recently gained 10 new clients in a short amount of time. (I use Evernote to track all of my tasks, contexts, etc.) I created a note in Evernote with the title "Onboard: Sally Smith". Within the note were checkboxes for 1) send signed paperwork to administrator, 2) verify paperwork processed, 3) call client to discuss goals, 4) enter client info in CRM software. So I had one note with the four steps which went into "@Work PC" context. Having them in one place helped remind me what was done and what remained. I feel like it would have been too much clutter to have 4 separate tasks floating around -- especially since there were 10 clients going through the process at once.
The only reason to put all the steps onto your context lists is if they can all be done now with no dependency on any other item.

In your example of Onboard Sally Smith the only thing that can actually be done right now is send signed paperwork to administrator. The other items can't be done until that is finished. Similarly until the paperwork is processed you cannot call the client and so on.

In my system I could put all those items as actions with their proper contexts but set the entire project to be sequential and then automatically as soon as one of them was finished the next item would populate into it's proper context list. However, in Evernote that will not happen automatically. I do't use Evernote and my similar package, DEVONThink is only used for reference and project support not my actual lists so I have no idea how to implement a sequential project in that tool.

A similar set of things for me is selecting and processing butcher sheep. I have a checklist/project plan and I make a copy of it for each slaughter date we have and it includes how many sheep we have a slot for. (Side note - We have to schedule slaughter dates 12-18 months in advance with how many sheep are coming. Often I have to schedule slaughter before the sheep that will go have been conceived. Problems of a small farmer not selling into the commodity meat market.)

Process XX Butcher Sheep on <date>
Run LambTracker and decide on which sheep to butcher. - LambTracker
Set up sort for slaughter task in LambTracker using alerts. - LambTracker
Sort and load butcher sheep - Outside with Help
Take sheep to Homestead for processing - Town where the facility is
Do remove sheep in LambTracker - LambTracker
Set up a Carcass Weight Evaluation in LambTracker - LambTracker
Do the evaluation on the butcher sheep adding carcass weights - LambTracker
Start a project to update NSIP data with carcass weights using Update NSIP checklist - Omnifocus​

As you can see there are things I can't do until the previous ones are done. I won't have carcass weights until they are hanging. The various actions will populate into their appropriate contexts as they all get completed.

By making an instance of this project for each slaughter date I can have several going at once. So for example right now I have 2 of them going, one from our March data where I am still in the Set up Carcass Weight Evaluation in LambTracker and one for the date coming up in April where I am trying to decide which sheep are ready to process. I'll probably wait to do the carcass weight evals until after the April sheep are done mostly because right now I'm running through my trim toes and vaccinate projects as well as getting irrigation ready, setting grazing fences, get the lamb bags ready and all my other spring/pre-lambing tasks.[/QUOTE]

TesTeq

Registered
I created a note in Evernote with the title "Onboard: Sally Smith". Within the note were checkboxes for 1) send signed paperwork to administrator, 2) verify paperwork processed, 3) call client to discuss goals, 4) enter client info in CRM software.
You cannot verify that paperwork is processed before sending it signed to administrator so:
you can't put "2) verify paperwork processed" on any @context list until "1) send signed paperwork to administrator" is done.

KW7

Registered
One follow-up: I also build lots of financial models in Excel for work. I guess these can be projects but I'm unsure about whether all of the steps should be broken out as discrete tasks or should I just have a checklist for those steps.

As another example - it would seem that baking a cake requires multiple steps, but it would be inefficient to have each step in the baking process broken out so that you have to go back and grab each step/task after the prior one was completed. I guess I'm asking where does the line between using a checklist for a multi-step task end and where does the project method, such as the onboarding client example I have above, begin.

Thanks for all of the input.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I use a checklist for multi-step processes that I do infrequently, where I want to ensure I don't miss a step. Examples for me are a packing list for a camping trip, and my annual financial (tax prep) checklist. Another reason would be if you want to ensure the steps are captured for reference in case something happens to you. Someone else could pick up your checklist and work through the steps.

I don't use checklists (or enter all project steps) for things I do frequently, ie my morning and evening routines. I did at first, until I formed the habit, but now it is automatic so I don't need the lists.

Re your OP, in pure GTD terms each of those next actions would be on the appropriate next action list (assuming, as others have said, that you can do them immediately if you are in the right context). But after years of working GTD I've accepted that I am wired to work by project, so I've chosen a tool that allows both a project focus as you describe as well as a context focus.

Theoretically your onboarding next actions should all be separate tasks, one for each new hire -
Onboard Jim - Send signed paperwork to admin @desk
Onboard Sally - Send signed paperwork to admin @desk
Then once those are done,
Onboard Jim - wf paperwork to be processed @WF
..(x10)
Then as you receive paperwork back for each, your next actions become:
Onboard Jim - verify paperwork is correct @desk

There are advantages to this approach - if you get the paperwork back for 8 of the 10 you will notice right away which two are missing, by looking at the waiting for context list, rather than having to open 10 projects and check status there. But I find this approach makes it hard for me to see project status at a glance. So I list them all under the project, and tag only the current next action with a context. The rest automatically stay off my next action lists, but are visible when I open the project so I can see the flow/status easily.

You may find a checklist would be useful in this case. For each new hire you can copy the project and (if you were not using Evernote) you could then tag only the current next action with the appropriate context, so the rest of the tasks don't appear on your next action list. The problem with the way you have structured Evernote with all the actions in one note. Have you read the GTD setup guide for Evernote?

I'm not sure this is clear but hope it is helpful. Long story short, you have to find what works for you. GTD is tool agnostic, which is a mixed blessing. Implementation of the system is a process of trial and error.

KW7

Registered
@KW7 I highly recommend the Anatomy of Projects webinar on GTD Connect to help you navigate this. And not just because I teach it. ;)

Your webinar on the Anatomy of Projects was incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for putting that together and sharing it. I was hoping I could get your input on the situation highlighted below.

One follow-up: I also build lots of financial models in Excel for work. I guess these can be projects but I'm unsure about whether all of the steps should be broken out as discrete tasks or should I just have a checklist for those steps. Depending on the complexity, such modeling could take a few hours or a few days, give or take a pile of interruptions.

As another example - it would seem that baking a cake requires multiple steps, but it would be inefficient to have each step in the baking process broken out so that you have to go back and grab each step/task after the prior one was completed. I guess I'm asking where does the line between using a checklist for a multi-step task end and where does the project method, such as the onboarding client example I have above, begin.​

Thanks again!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Your webinar on the Anatomy of Projects was incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for putting that together and sharing it. I was hoping I could get your input on the situation highlighted below.

One follow-up: I also build lots of financial models in Excel for work. I guess these can be projects but I'm unsure about whether all of the steps should be broken out as discrete tasks or should I just have a checklist for those steps. Depending on the complexity, such modeling could take a few hours or a few days, give or take a pile of interruptions.

As another example - it would seem that baking a cake requires multiple steps, but it would be inefficient to have each step in the baking process broken out so that you have to go back and grab each step/task after the prior one was completed. I guess I'm asking where does the line between using a checklist for a multi-step task end and where does the project method, such as the onboarding client example I have above, begin.​

Thanks again!

Great questions and so glad the webinar helped.

Let me think how I would personally handle these... And this might be a bit rambling as my brain sorts out how I would answer this.

One project I do fairly repetitively is write the GTD Setup Guides. Each one follows a pretty standard flow, so I created a checklist about 10 years ago that I'll reference to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. But even as similar as they all are (learn tool, write guide, run beta test, finalize with Art, etc.) there are many, many steps that are unique to each and many microscopic steps that never make it on a checklist. So the checklist only serves me to a point with the amount of detail it covers. It would be mind numbing and counterproductive to write every step needed. And, many times I'm handling steps that I just know come next while I'm in the flow of the project and no Next Actions list or checklist is telling me that. I'm just doing it.

I guess bottom line I would say is what DA says, "Capture as much as you need to (on your list and/or a checklist) to get the project off your mind." And don't underestimate the tons of little next actions that will happen while you're working the project and don't need to get captured as a reminder. Like if you're making a cake, the recipe (a form of a checklist really) would tell you to add a teaspoon of vanilla. It doesn't then need to tell you to wash the measuring spoon or put the cap back on the vanilla. You just know to do that.

Does that help?

KW7

Registered
Great questions and so glad the webinar helped.

Let me think how I would personally handle these... And this might be a bit rambling as my brain sorts out how I would answer this.

One project I do fairly repetitively is write the GTD Setup Guides. Each one follows a pretty standard flow, so I created a checklist about 10 years ago that I'll reference to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. But even as similar as they all are (learn tool, write guide, run beta test, finalize with Art, etc.) there are many, many steps that are unique to each and many microscopic steps that never make it on a checklist. So the checklist only serves me to a point with the amount of detail it covers. It would be mind numbing and counterproductive to write every step needed. And, many times I'm handling steps that I just know come next while I'm in the flow of the project and no Next Actions list or checklist is telling me that. I'm just doing it.

I guess bottom line I would say is what DA says, "Capture as much as you need to (on your list and/or a checklist) to get the project off your mind." And don't underestimate the tons of little next actions that will happen while you're working the project and don't need to get captured as a reminder. Like if you're making a cake, the recipe (a form of a checklist really) would tell you to add a teaspoon of vanilla. It doesn't then need to tell you to wash the measuring spoon or put the cap back on the vanilla. You just know to do that.

Does that help?

Yes! I think it boils down to experience with the methodology. I'm an analyst and a detail oriented person by nature but I can see how expending a lot of energy to record every step can quickly be counterproductive. I think I just need to take the methodology for a test drive and adapt along the way.