Project next actions timelines/deadlines

Juice182

Registered
Hello everyone!

I’m new to the GTD method and I’m reading and listening to the book and have a question about calendar usage.

If I have a long term project like writing a thesis that is due 3 months from now, and I’ve identified the next action and have that next action on my next action list, what keeps me on timeline for the project? If the only things that go on calendars are things that have a hard deadline, then the only calendar item for writing the thesis would be when the whole thing is due correct? If that’s the case, how do I keep myself from waiting to work on it until the last minute? Wouldn’t it be better to block off portions of my calendar on a weekly basis to make sure that some work is being done on a regular basis?

Thank you in advance!

Gardener

Registered
I would probably:

- Divide the project into the number of threads I'm comfortable with and that I can reasonably work simultaneously--for example, maybe one for research and following up with requested research materials, one for reading and notetaking, one for writing, etc.
- Make a project plan with approximate dates, taking those threads into account.
- Have a weekly task, "See if project X is on track" to make sure I don't lose track of how it's going.
- Treat each thread as a project, and keep it fed with a task or two at all times.

I would only use the calendar for hard landscape things, like maybe entering an appointment for time-specific access to some resource.

mcogilvie

Registered
Suppose I’m your thesis advisor and you have 5 thesis chapters to write for a PhD thesis, and I tell you to write them in the order 2, 3, 4, 1 (Intro) and 5 (Conclusions). Fortunately, you have papers written to base Chapters 2-4 on, because otherwise you would probably miss your deadline. You decide to try to get a draft to your thesis committee in 2 months. This gives you 2 weeks breathing room, because your committee wants 2 weeks to read your draft before your defense. You select targets you hope to meet for each chapter. These target dates do not go on your calendar, but in project support. At least once a week you review your project support material, and report to your advisor, who has lots of experience. I alternately tell you it will be fine and tell you to work harder. You miss the deadline, but I help you negotiate that problem, and you graduate.

Y_Lherieau

GTD Connect
Hello and welcome to the GTD community!

Your question about using the calendar for long-term projects like writing a thesis is a great one. In GTD, the calendar is indeed reserved for time-specific commitments (appointments, meetings) and hard deadlines. However, for a long-term project such as yours, the key to staying on track is not just relying on the calendar for the final deadline but integrating the GTD method more fully into your project planning.

Here’s how you can approach it:

1. Project Planning: Break down your thesis into smaller, manageable tasks and sub-projects. Each part of your thesis (research, writing different sections, revision) can be considered a mini-project with its own set of actions and deadlines.
  2. Next Actions: For each of these smaller tasks, identify the very next physical action required to move the project forward and add these to your Next Actions list. This ensures you always know what the immediate next step is.
  3. Weekly Review: During your Weekly Review (a crucial component of GTD), assess your progress on the thesis. Update your projects, next actions, and waiting-for lists as necessary. This is a good time to decide if any specific tasks should be scheduled into your calendar because they have become time-sensitive.
  4. Using the Calendar for Milestones: While it's true that the GTD calendar is for "hard landscape" items, you can create milestones for your thesis project that act as mini-deadlines. For instance, finishing the research phase by a certain date. These aren't meetings or appointments, but they are specific targets to hit, which can be noted in your calendar or in a separate project tracking tool.
  5. Time Blocking: Although GTD purists might reserve the calendar only for the hard landscape, many find it helpful to block off time for focused work sessions on their projects. This isn't about scheduling every action but rather allocating dedicated time slots for working on your thesis. This can coexist with GTD by considering these blocks as commitments to yourself to work on specific actions from your Next Actions list.
Remember, the essence of GTD is flexibility and adapting the system to work for you. If blocking time for your thesis work helps you make consistent progress, it’s a valid strategy. Just ensure that during these blocked times, you are working on the most current next actions identified for your project. This will keep you moving forward and prevent the last-minute rush.

Good luck with your thesis, and don't hesitate to reach out for more advice or share your progress!

cfoley

Registered
For long projects, I write a schedule and keep it in project support. The schedule lets me know whether I am ahead or behind my expectations and helps guide my action choices accordingly.

For me, it is usually software projects but I expect it would work for other kinds of project too.