• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Project Support Materials

I was wondering how some of you handle project support material?

I think my main problem is keeping track of where all the information is.

Let me give you an example: Suppose I have a project that is to "Write a Book." Here are all the areas where my Project Support Material might be.

1. A folder in Outlook for my email correspondence regarding the book
2. Another folder in my Computer for the drafts of the book.
3. A physical folder for articles and such that might relate to the book
4. A bookshelf for books that I want to use as sources.

Now it would be fine if I only have one project that has all these areas, but that's not the case. I have multiple projects and each have a combination of these four areas.

Any suggestions?
 
My short answer is 'make a list.'

When I have a complicated project, I make a list of folders, a list of contacts, a list of major subproject, etc.

I store the lists in one central place and use that as the index to everything. It is too much work for a small project, but small projects tend to have fewer things to list anyway.
 
A quick way to turn 4 places into 3 places is to save all of your electronic stuff in a folder on your computer and not have one in Outlook and another somewhere else. To save your e-mail related to that project, choose "save as" and select the project folder as your destination.

As for the projects that have a physical file folder and some shelf space on the bookcase, wuold it help to stick a note in the file folder to remind you of where your bulkier items are? (Bookshelf 1, Shelf 1?)

Frank
 
Saving Emails

Good point, Frank:

Some time ago, I reluctantly returned to Outlook Express because you can drag emails into the Windows Explorer. I do like Pocomail, but you can't drag. I don't use Outlook because I have been bitten by an email-borne virus. This method keeps the Outlook Express folders clean.

Andrew
 
Frank: ooh... interesting idea. I think i'll try that! thanks!

kglade: yeah, I've been thinking of using a list as well. I guess the biggest hassle is to associate every (or basically as needed) next action with the needed project support material.
 
Top