Project's Next actions

timco

Registered
So confused

Im reading the book and I dont know where to start.Do you make a list of to do items and then turn to the next actions page to see or write down the next step.Example:I need to change the oil in my truck,would this be put on the to do list?then do you turn to the next action page and write down :buy oil filter?then on the same page do you also write :buy oil?So on one page labled to do is #1)change oil.Then on to the next action page.there will you write:#1buy oil filter........#2 buy oil.? I guess I am just to much a simple man and this stuff is better left to the intellectual types.Seems like alot of list for a chore that needs to be done.Also,what type of planner,or moleskine,time design,day runner?????what.......Thanks for listening

kewms

Registered
GTD is tool-agnostic. You can use whatever paper or electronic system works best for you. You'll find lots of examples of other peoples' systems on this board and elsewhere.

For your oil change example. I would add the following to my lists:

For the Errands list: buy oil (amount and type), buy oil filter (part number if known).

For the Project list: change oil.

And that's it. The project can't move forward until you buy the materials, and once you've done that the next action (changing the oil) will be obvious so you don't need to write it down.

Hope this helps,

Katherine

(Actually, I would write @Errand take car to Jiffy Lube for oil change, but you are clearly handier than I am.)