Busydave

Registered
Had to share this one which I received in a newsletter today:

Most of us are pretty good at keeping promises to others and pretty bad at keeping promises to ourselves.

-- Lawrence LeShan

Dave

J

Jason Womack

Watch the agreements...

Here's a quote I read a while back...

When you fulfill the obligations that you have agreed to, you'd be surprised at the freedom you manifest in your life.

by : John-Roger

When I found that quote, I happened to be in a place where I had a lot of stress, and a lot of things going on at once. I tried it out, I started completing, or renegotiating, agreements, and found a weight coming off of my shoulders that I hadn't realized I'd put there...

Busydave

Registered
I like that one Jason. I am always trying to compromise between obligations to various people – clients, colleagues, family, and of course, myself: none of them will EVER realise how much I agonize over my obligations to them - all they know is that their stuff often does not seem to be getting done fast enough.

This always hits me as being desperately unfair – all that inner suffering and no results!

Somehow, John-Roger’s quote seems to answer this problem.

Dave

Chariot

Registered
Busydave said:
I like that one Jason. I am always trying to compromise between obligations to various people – clients, colleagues, family, and of course, myself: none of them will EVER realise how much I agonize over my obligations to them - all they know is that their stuff often does not seem to be getting done fast enough.

This always hits me as being desperately unfair – all that inner suffering and no results!
Dave,
It sounds like you might be in need of assertiveness training. Check out the following book When I Say No, I Feel Guilty by Manuel J. Smith
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-4884098-2600602?v=glance&s=books

Busydave

Registered
Thanks Chariot. You hit on something I have be mulling over for a while. Ultimately, it’s all about people. If you keep deferring to others, you will sink. That book looks great.

Dave

J

JWE

Walking on eggshells

My mother recently said to me that she " should develop thicker skin" when it comes to other family members. She is always terrified of upsetting someone or how they will react act to something. I pointed out that what she really means is that she should let them develop thicker skin and she shouldn't always be so worried about others react to her. She has been proctecting them for so long that they haven't had to develop their own thick skin. She needs to quit "walking on eggshells" would be a better term. The only one I can consistantly please in my busy schedule is my goldfish...but he doesn't expect much either. Hope I didn't rabbit trail too badly.
Jeff