Re-evaluating GTD; What's working/what's not

kewms

Registered
debbieg;67237 said:
1) Let's say you have 5 projects all with different end dates. You start out by moving the Next Action item for each project onto your next action list. That list also contains next actions that are not project related. It would seem to me that you will have to develop a full blown project plan with dates for each project task in order to ensure that you meet the end date. I think there is a part of me that does not trust that GTD manages multiple deadlines/dates.

This is where the Weekly Review is critical. It's how you make sure your important projects stay on track.

This is also why I (and others) advocate aggressive use of the Someday/Maybe list. If your Next Action lists contain hundreds of items, some of those items simply aren't going to get done. By deciding in advance which items to defer, you can make sure that the important items don't get buried.

Katherine

Roger

Registered
debbieg;66965 said:
1 page with a list of ideas/steps for 6 separate goals/projects.
This is a bit worrisome. Most people have something like a hundred projects on the go at any given time, not including Somedays.

debbieg

Registered
Roger...not to worry. It's just a Keep it simple example. I'm sure many of us have way more than 5 projects.

gtderik

Registered
kewms;67243 said:
This is where the Weekly Review is critical. It's how you make sure your important projects stay on track.

This is also why I (and others) advocate aggressive use of the Someday/Maybe list. If your Next Action lists contain hundreds of items, some of those items simply aren't going to get done. By deciding in advance which items to defer, you can make sure that the important items don't get buried.

Katherine, do you keep your SDMB lists on Paper or Electronic? I thought I remembered you moving over to paper...

Erik

kewms

Registered
gtderik;67252 said:
Katherine, do you keep your SDMB lists on Paper or Electronic? I thought I remembered you moving over to paper...

I'm currently in the middle of a system re-vamp, which may involve going electronic. My Someday/Maybe lists are currently on paper, but that may change.

Katherine