• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Read/Review problem

I read somewhere a recommendation to split the Read/Review pile into 3 parts: Serious; FYI; Junk/Shop/Browse.

My problem is: how can I avoid being 'mentally' worried' about having these piles waiting in the background?
I want to make sure I will deal with them, and still forget about them now.

But 'Serious': how can I forget about that? Or should I create a 'tickler' so I don't forget them? Put it into my 'hard landscape'?

FYI: Probably stuff that I should read before it is too late, e.g. before upcoming conferences or staff meetings.
How should this be handled? By tickler?

And finally Junk/Shop/Browse: I will (probably) always have things to do which are more important than this stuff, so how and when will these 'pop up' again?

I can't use my weekly review to go through this stuff, can I ?
I only see myself sorting the piles avery week, always increasing volume...

This is, in my mind, quite disturbing, especially if you have 3 different levels of importance. :?

Anyone have any good ideas or experience about this?
 
I don't have a read/review pile. If I am interested in it, I read it as I get it (2 min rule - or at least skim it). If I am not ready to read the whole thing but believe I will need it later, it goes into general filing. If it is junk I throw it out. In doing all of these, I keep in mind some issues like:
- when will I need it (if ever)?
- how fast is the area of study changing?
- can I look it up again somewhere else, like the internet, if it ever becomes critical to know?

If I know when I am going to need it, I will file it. If the area of study is changing too fast, then by the time I get around to needing or reading it, it will probably be out of date anyway. I may as well wait until I need it, then look up the latest research. Many things I know I can find again or find more current information on the 'net, so it does not even get filed.

Pam
 
Top