Recurring tasks - Again

@Jean-David Roth and @rossw,

Likewise here . . . 'Recurring task(s)' are done through Check list(s) which are also great for their inherent . . . 'No Forgetting / No Remembering / No 'Thinking' . . . with 'built-in' beloved Double-Checking capacity

What's not to love?

As you see GTD fit
Yes, Checklists are great.
Putting them into the 31 12 folder system is also.
But, re-reading my previous post and Rossw answer to BusyDave, it suddenly comes to my mind that the 31 12 folder has an inherent problem with weekly tasks... You cannot let them stay in the same (day) folder all year long.
The solution? Probably weekly checklists not in the 31 12, but on your phone or calendar with a weekly repeating choice. (Or my program, which I doubt I will use... because, 1st, I need to review my 31 12 daily. But this is another story.)
So I am going to have a line in my Daily Routine that says : review your 31 12, and start to use it again.
Just hope that my Daily Routine will not explode due to too many thing coming to clutter it... So Yes, I will try to delegate much of it to my 31 12 perhaps... and to checklists, this is for sure. I've already started doing quite a few.
I am sorry that what I say here is not of much value to you... but at least, writing this helps me improve handling GTD. I love GTD. I consider it one of the most influential book in my life.

I agree with the daily checklist. Maybe write one and make photocopies so you don’t need to rewrite it and you can cross off completed tasks each time as well as date it to keep records of your streaks.

Cheers,
Stephen

Thanks everyone;

This looks like a perfect reason for having a tickler file system in operation. Currently though I don’t use one - I’m still kinda waiting to see if enough reasons accumulate to justify one.

My Filofax has a two pages per week format, with a bookmark (detachable black plastic ruler). Maybe I will write the daily recurring items on a single sheet and let it sit between the two pages that make up the week – and then transfer it forward each time I move the weekly bookmark forward.

Alternatively, MacKenzie covers the topic of the ideal day: the model seems to acknowledge and accommodate the realities of daily recurring tasks – sign post, return calls, meet staff, as well as leaving clear chunks of time to tackle main projects. I think the idea may be a bit old-fashioned now, but I may just try to tweak it to cover the realties that are part of my own day.

Thanks

Dave

I would agree with other previous respondents, some version of checklists are likely the answer here. Now the thing with checklists (and much of GTD) is that there are about 4000 ways to implement them depending on your tools and preferences. I used a physical tickler file for years and it works great for checklists. Experiment with different approaches that will surface the appropriate checklist at the appropriate time, and dont be afraid of hybrid approaches. For example, I've recently discovered that for daily tasks I like a tangible, physical checklist, even though I am otherwise 100% digital; for some odd reason I engage with it more effectively.

I have found there are basically 2 types of checklists in my world - time-based and task-based.
Time based include tasks that must happen at regular intervals, and are usually administrative or maintenance things. I manage a team for instance, and there are administrative functions I need to address or at least review on a monthly basis. I have a checklist in a digital "tickler file" in todoist that shows up once a month. Some items I do the day the checklist pops up, and others I copy off the checklist onto my next actions to do before the month is over.

Task-based checklists require a bit more thought because you have to create the habit of using them every time you have that task. A good example of this is a very extensive checklist I have for when I hire someone. Printed out its like 3 pages long. Typically I print this as soon as the employment offer is accepted. It's divided in sections of: before start, first day, 30 days, 60 days, 90 days. Items on the checklist are either done as I'm looking at the paper, or captured onto my next action lists to do at next opportunity. The checklist goes into a manila folder for project support. I've recently been experimenting with an electronic version instead of printing it, but still unsure if that will stick.

Last edited: