Related projects

Stephen Brown

Registered
Hi everyone,

I work for a local authority and my team deals with many the issue and enforcement of licences. We are currently in the process of switching case management systems and I'm dealing with this (configuring the system and migrating data) one type of licence at a time.

There is some new legislation which comes into force on 4 April 2022, to implement this I need to create a relatively small project. However, the legislation relates to a type of licence type that is not yet in the new system so if I configured the old system, I would have to do the work again in the new system at some point. Configuring the system is a lot more time consuming that implementing the legislation so I want to avoid unnecessary duplication so I have decided to move this licence type to the new system and implement the legislation at the same time.

How would you do this (I use OmniFocus)?

Would you create a single project:
  • Migrate x to new system and implement y legislation
Or multiple projects (although there would be actions in one project that would be dependant on actions in the other):
  • Migrate x to new system
  • Implement y legislation
I'd appreciate your thoughts.

grahamen

Registered
Hi everyone,

I work for a local authority and my team deals with many the issue and enforcement of licences. We are currently in the process of switching case management systems and I'm dealing with this (configuring the system and migrating data) one type of licence at a time.

There is some new legislation which comes into force on 4 April 2022, to implement this I need to create a relatively small project. However, the legislation relates to a type of licence type that is not yet in the new system so if I configured the old system, I would have to do the work again in the new system at some point. Configuring the system is a lot more time consuming that implementing the legislation so I want to avoid unnecessary duplication so I have decided to move this licence type to the new system and implement the legislation at the same time.

How would you do this (I use OmniFocus)?

Would you create a single project:
Or multiple projects (although there would be actions in one project that would be dependant on actions in the other):
  • Migrate x to new system
  • Implement y legislation
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
A Master project with
and then 2 (or more) sub-projects for Migrate and Implement

mcogilvie

Registered
I don’t think it makes much difference, as long as your system, including weekly reviews, let’s you see what you need when you need to see it. There are tactics (tricks) I would use with paper that I wouldn’t use with OmniFocus, but the principles are the same. I think it's up to you.

Gardener

Registered
so I have decided to move this licence type to the new system and implement the legislation at the same time.
I would probably regard this as a single body of code, implemented with several projects--one for requirements gathering, perhaps another for the high-level design, and then probably projects for various elements of the coding. I might put them all in a folder, or they might just swim around in whatever folder contains my other coding projects.

Stephen Brown

Registered
I would probably regard this as a single body of code, implemented with several projects--one for requirements gathering, perhaps another for the high-level design, and then probably projects for various elements of the coding. I might put them all in a folder, or they might just swim around in whatever folder contains my other coding projects.
That's interesting, what software do you use? What makes you decide whether to put the group of projects in a folder as opposed to leaving them in the main list?

Gardener

Registered
That's interesting, what software do you use? What makes you decide whether to put the group of projects in a folder as opposed to leaving them in the main list?
I was thinking of OmniFocus, which I use for personal stuff; I track my work projects in something else that I'm dissatisfied with, so I wasn't thinking of how I'd organize it there. (How WOULD I organize it there? I'd probably write some sort of project plan, store it as project support material, and then just put the first small project in my active lists. When that was done, I'd create the next one.)

In OmniFocus, I either divide or cull a list when it's too long to near-instantly scan--at maybe ten items, though that's not a hard rule. So by default I have one and only one list, and then folders form as it gets too long and elements form logical groupings.