Road blocks

Tombo

Registered
I haven't even really begun to implement GTD, but as I move forward with my projects and tasks i have come to an important realization. Time. Time is what I think is holding me up. For example I knocked a few things off my lists and I realized that subconsciously I would not move on them because of the time commitment. I build fishing rods as my hobby and haven't touched one for a year because i never would follow the next action step which is order parts, why it took me 2 1/2 hours to complete that action step. Calling my friend (who likes to talk 45 minutes) ordering tickets to a Broadway show (45 minutes). So I believe subconsciously I avoid these tasks because time is precious and maybe I don't plan things out. This was a break through for me because I think this understanding will help me move forward with utilizing GTD and avoiding pitfalls. There are other reasons for avoidance, money,emotions,location etc... and maybe the big takeaway is when creating projects/next actions/someday maybe is to understand why we might not want to do something and appropriately categorize it. Then we can challenge those bad habits, put them off, or trash them as we see fit. It's funny but when I think about this system its not only the physical clutter but the mental chatter that seems to get cleared up through deeper self awareness. The better I know why I act or don't act the more control I have.
I apologize if I am rambling but I though I might just put this out there to see if there is anybody that can relate.

MellowEnchant

Registered
I can relate. Basically, this is all about productivity and organization and GTD is the foundation. However, there are many other important factors when considering a good workflow. For example, it is important for me to get things done as fast as possible without stressing myself.

I also have friends who talk way too long, I had to learn to clearly say to them: "Please get to the point, I want to get other things done, we can chat later"
Or If it takes you 45 minutes to order a ticket I feel like that could get done a lot faster.

For me GTD is the foundation, however, my mindset is always about optimizing the whole process so I can get more done and stay in the state of flow as long as possible. I really try to avoid or get these "support" things as I like to call them as quickly done as possible.

Paying bills, cleaning the flat, getting dressed, preparing to eat, talking to people quickly, in the sense of getting to the point, getting multiple errands done at once... these things are not part of the GTD system in general, but improve our productivity and flow a lot.

For me, it is always about improving, working on bad habits and I feel like this is also something you wanted to say with your post :)

Tombo

Registered
It was more than just ordering a ticket I was researching shows, seats, and prices. When I referenced speaking to a friend I was catching up with a friend I was out of touch for a few months. My point was when I know my time I’d limited and I am aware a task will take a chunk of time instead of dealing with it I just avoid it. I think you make a great point about trying to take care smaller more frequent tasks with efficiency and it’s something I plan on paying attention to. Thanks for all your support and posts!

TesTeq

Registered
I haven't even really begun to implement GTD, but as I move forward with my projects and tasks i have come to an important realization. Time. Time is what I think is holding me up.
As far as I know we all have 24 hours each day. It's about our choices if we want to spend them surfing the internet or surfing the ocean waves...

mcogilvie

Registered
Time is not really the issue. As Tes says, we’ve all got the same amount per day. The secret of doing, and doing more, is to do. We are afraid that some task is too big, and will eat up our morning. The solution is to do other things first, until you feel good about tackling the thing you were worried about. If you try to make better choices every day, you will learn to make better choices. Of course, this also applies to writing better next actions and all the other elements of GTD.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I can relate to struggles with procrastination. I'm sure a lot of people can. GTD is great for externalizing everything you think should or might want to do. It can't make you want to do any of it, though.

The key is to understand why you're avoiding things. There's no easy way to come by that self-knowledge, and it's certainly not within the scope of GTD to guide you through that process of self-discovery.

On the other hand, making explicit everything you're avoiding can be a good place to start. As can clarifying roles, goals, and longer-term visions, so you can see whether you're doing enough of the right things to get you where you want to go.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to a willingness to be honest with yourself and to change where needed. That's an intangible. It's something you have to be willing to bring to the table. I think a lot of people blame GTD for their problems (not you, @Tombo -- I'm thinking of others who have posted here over the years) when the issue is unwillingness to confront unpleasant truths.

I don't think all procrastination is bad, by the way. I've had tasks languish on my lists for ages, only to realize I was avoiding them because they were things I shouldn't be spending time on. It turns out my instincts about those things were actually dead on.

mcogilvie

Registered
I can relate to struggles with procrastination. I'm sure a lot of people can. GTD is great for externalizing everything you think should or might want to do. It can't make you want to do any of it, though.

The key is to understand why you're avoiding things. There's no easy way to come by that self-knowledge, and it's certainly not within the scope of GTD to guide you through that process of self-discovery.

On the other hand, making explicit everything you're avoiding can be a good place to start. As can clarifying roles, goals, and longer-term visions, so you can see whether you're doing enough of the right things to get you where you want to go.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to a willingness to be honest with yourself and to change where needed. That's an intangible. It's something you have to be willing to bring to the table. I think a lot of people blame GTD for their problems (not you, @Tombo -- I'm thinking of others who have posted here over the years) when the issue is unwillingness to confront unpleasant truths.

I don't think all procrastination is bad, by the way. I've had tasks languish on my lists for ages, only to realize I was avoiding them because they were things I shouldn't be spending time on. It turns out my instincts about those things were actually dead on.

That’s a great point. I do think GTD can help people to be more self-aware and understand any resistance they may feel. “Know thyself” is the great commandment underlying GTD.

Tombo

Registered

Thank you I appreciate your time an considerate answer. I agree that being honest is a big key into becoming more productive and accountable.