Scaling Projects

ckennedy

Registered
I recently made a career switch after 30 years working in a University setting. I am now working as a consultant and executive recruiter (headhunter).
I find that many of my work projects follow a predictable cycle. In an executive search there would be several phases; for example 1) Launch search, 2) Source and shortlist candidates, 3) Conduct interviews, 4) Negotiate contract for client 5) Close file.

In my past work, I would typically list the project as "Hire for X role" or something to that effect. The problem now is that my project list is now filled with 10 similarly uninspired titled projects. When I look at the projects, it is hard to feel a "forward tug" because there are so many moving pieces and ebbs and flows to each project.

I'm thinking of converting each project to a standard template in my project support tool and then listing each project by it's phase or milestone. So "Hire for X role" becomes "Source and shortlist 6 candidates for X role" and "Complete Interviews for Y role". These seem more attractive and concise project descriptions.
As each are completed they are then replaced by the next phase. Does anyone else approach projects this way?

I know David says even sending a man to the moon starts with "Call Fred". But I assume in practice the Project would not be "Send man to the moon" but rather a series of projects such as "Recruit Astronauts" "Lunar Module is completed and tested" (as you can tell, I am not a NASA engineer).

mcogilvie

Registered
I don't think separate projects for each phase of a big project would work well for me. What I sometimes do is change the project phrasing and /or due date. For example, “Z(3) finite density models R&D“ might eventually morph to “Z3) finite density models manuscript published.” Or I might give the project an overall deadline for the first phase of a project, say when an abstract is due. This is partly personal preference and partly a function of how my list tool, Things, works best for me.

Gardener

Registered
I'm seeing this as small projects, which is how I like them. I don't have a project "Prep spring garden." Instead, I have a zillion, things like, "Prep beds 10C-10E for tomatoes".

Edited to add: OK, "have a zillion" sounds like I have a zillion simultaneously. That's not what I mean. I have projects that get worked, closed, and flow into other projects.

bishblaize

Registered
I would make one folder per client in Omnifocus and put all my projects in the folder. So if Acme Ltd asked you to hire someone for them, call the folder Acme Ltd. Then, in the folder, you would have all of your projects related to that client. As long as your next actions all mingle together in their context lists, that would be fine GTD wise. When you do your weekly review, you can look at every folder and ask yourself if there's anything left to do on that client. At some point, there will be nothing left, and the folder gets archived.

It wouldn't make sense to call it "hire for x role" because the work doesn't stop once you hire them. You still have to invoice, get feedback, collect testimonies, etc to do once the person has been hired.

Deirdre

Registered
I'm thinking of converting each project to a standard template in my project support tool and then listing each project by it's phase or milestone. So "Hire for X role" becomes "Source and shortlist 6 candidates for X role" and "Complete Interviews for Y role". These seem more attractive and concise project descriptions.
As each are completed they are then replaced by the next phase. Does anyone else approach projects this way?
I have worked in human resources / consulting for years. For my projects, including hiring, I start with David's Natural Planning Model Worksheet. and map out the project (not all the questions are relevant but it's a great reminder). I have a file for each search, paper copies of documentation (for notes when I am interviewing), capture all the to-dos in MS To Do, and lastly map it out on my calendar to block time for each project.

I also have to capture the time in my accounting software and keeping a list of time in the file and in my calendar keeps me on track.

Not sure that is exactly what you are asking but I hope it helps!