Segregating work and personal systems

DavidH

Registered
In an ideal world my work laptop would be the central hub for my GTD system. I am trying to implement GTD but there is one issue that is keeping me from going all in. That is the problem associated with having personal data on my work laptop. If you dismiss the privacy concerns there are still real legal issues that arise by commingling my work and personal projects on my work laptop. Trying to maintain two systems is really hindering my adoption of the GTD lifestyle.

How have you all dealt with this issue in your GTD systems?

PeterW

Registered
I use an online (web-based) system so all of my data is in the cloud and not on the company's internal systems. Which means I can access it via the work computer or the home computer. It syncs with my iPhone and iPad so my data is available everywhere.

DavidH

Registered
Web-based systems are great but they raise a whole new set of legal concerns. My employer expressly forbids using things like Dropbox, Skydrive, etc... to store work documents. I'm sure they would frown upon using a web-based system for GTD.

PeterW

Registered
The company I work for wouldn't want internal documents stored on third-party servers either. I don't use my web-based system to do that. It's simply a task list and there is nothing in it that divulges sensitive information. Tasks can still be quite descriptive yet pose no risk of exposure.

If that's not something you think you can do then I guess you're stuck with having two systems, which is not ideal.

DavidH

Registered
I agree the task lists aren't as sensitive. My main concern is that I have lots of digital project reference material and email which are often linked to tasks. I use Outlook and OneNote currently which makes linking and cross-referencing fairly painless. How do you handle your reference material? Does your web-based system allow you to link next actions with supporting documents?

PeterW

Registered
The company I work for has a very structured filing system so I always know where documents are located, whether they are soft copies or hard copies.

I occasionally put a note on the task if the reference material isn't what I think is its logical location. For digital copies this will just be a path to a folder.

Some web-based systems allow you to attach documents to tasks and I've tried that but in environments where documents are shared you can run into issues of version control.

Oogiem

Registered
DavidH;105330 said:

Quit working for someone else so I am in control of both work and personal life.
However my solution isn't reasonable for most folks. :)

My suggestion, treat work and personal like classified systems. Have capture for the other system in both places but process and handle them separately with 2 weekly reviews.

CJSullivan

Registered
Two systems

In my case, I have two discrete systems. My work system is in the company-sanctioned Outlook, and my personal system is a hybrid of paper & Evernote. I've done paper for both, but it's just so much easier to drag emails into Tasks in Outlook than set up a bunch of email-based folders and write the task on a paper list... It really depends on your average turnaround time and level of work, I think. My work is predominantly administrative (at the day job) so quick turnaround and drag-and-drop work for me.

My personal is another story, and has a number of different components that I won't go into here. I'm currently experimenting with a combination of paper/digital. I typically go back-and-forth between all paper, all digital, and a combination thereof. And I'm OK with that. If I'm in a particularly tactile frame of mind, there's nothing like paper. If I want portability and quick review, I go digital.

radioman

Registered
Without getting into a lot of down-stream issues, the ones that I faced on this very question boil down to 2 key issues.

1. Will your employer allow you to wire or wirelessly sync your smart phone into his computer system on which you have your work Outlook account? (I have just made a lot of assumptions, one of which is that you work for someone else and that you use a similar setup that I do, namely smart phone and Outlook.)

2. Are you willing to live with your employer's likely requirements that Outlook (and probably your smart phone) are subject to inspection or even confiscation at any time if he wants to exercise full control over his data that resides in the same places as your personal data?

In my case, the answer to both questions is a resounding "no," so I keep my systems as separate as I can. My work day is pretty much during the day on weekdays, so my smart phone calendar has very little on it for those hours. About the only time that I have to show duplicate appointments is when I have to leave work for a personal appointment (e.g.,doctor's visit). I need to show that on my work calendar so that I (and anyone looking at my work calendar) know that I have to be out of the office.

The only other "work thing" that I can think of that is on my smart phone is an encrypted set of passwords to my various work accounts (along with all of my personal ones) in an Android app.

In spite of all of this "separateness," there is almost no duplication. I always cite the old saying: "A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two is never sure." So, each data record resides in only one place (that is backed up somewhere, via sync'ing or otherwise), but the whole set of data happens to reside in 2 places, namely work and personal devices.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Suelin23

Registered
I have two separate systems on my home and work laptops. The only common thing that ties it altogether is my NA lists which are on my iPhone, and have both work and home in the same list system.

ellobogrande

Registered
DavidH;105340 said:
I agree the task lists aren't as sensitive. My main concern is that I have lots of digital project reference material and email which are often linked to tasks. I use Outlook and OneNote currently which makes linking and cross-referencing fairly painless. How do you handle your reference material? Does your web-based system allow you to link next actions with supporting documents?

I use my brain to connect the dots that my system remembers for me. In my opinion it's not necessary to take the effort to "link" actions and projects within the system. It adds overhead and isn't nearly as fast as my brain. I also find value in having my brain connect the dots during reviews because it refreshes my thinking about my commitments.

A system with the ability to link actions and projects and reference materials together is far more cool than it is useful. The best GTD system is the simplest one. If you're set on having linking ability within your system then you're stuck maintaining two systems. If you're ok with just managing reminders of your outcomes and actions then you can consolidate your reminders into one system (preferred).

jrdouce

Registered
I pretty much have two distinct systems, although "system" may be a strong word for my work environment. In my main personal system (Google Tasks and calendar, and Evernote), I have a single context "Work", which is almost empty. I only use it for things I need to do at work that are not part of my normal responsibilities.

For work, I'm either working, or not. As a developer, I need my desktop and network access to do anything, so I'm either at my desk, or logged in remotely via VPN. I have a list of projects with actions managed in Onenote, and OutlookExchange for contacts and appointments. Project documents are stored on a network drive, accessible from where ever I work. I do sync my Outlook appointments to a separate, dedicated, Google Calendar that I include in my own personal calendar, to I get a complete view of my schedule.

It is simple to separate for me, as I'm generally doing work assigned and prioritized by someone else. Anything not in my assigned pipeline is personal, and goes in my system.

Margaret Warton

Registered
I, too, have two...

I work with confidential patient data constantly in my job as a statistical analyst in healthcare research, so my work systems are very tightly controlled. I cannot synch outside devices or programs with my work Lotus Notes GTD system, nor can I keep work email, documents or data in "the cloud". Since my only access to my work system outside of the office is through a laptop VPN connection, it is not practical to have my home system and my work system together.

At home, I have my GTD system running on Lotus notes for work, and I use Toodledo+ Google calendar for my home GTD system with access from laptop, Android Phone, and Nexus 7.

If I need to get input from one system to another (reminders of a phone call I need make during business hours, for example), I just email a reminder to the other system. In addition, as part of my weekly review, I "manually synch" my Lotus Notes and Google calendars by adding work appointments to my "At Work" Google calendar. That way, I have my upcoming work calendar on my phone during meetings. It would be nicer to be able to synch the calendar automatically, but it only takes a few minutes each week.

~M

TesTeq

Registered
Let me summarize.

DavidH;105330 said:

Let me summarize:

If you are freelancer/farmer/business owner you can easily merge personal and work related information into one GTD system because the whole infrastructure and data is yours.

If you are employee the IT infrastructure and data is your employer's property. Due to legal and security reasons (both your and your employer's security) it is better to keep separate work and personal GTD systems.

Vickie

Registered
As most have commented, I also have two separate systems and it works very well for me. I will say though that having to separate my work and personal items means that the weekly review has become VERY important to me so that I don't lose sight of anything. I see my work stuff all the time since I work fulltime so it can be VERY easy for me to lose sight of the personal items if I'm not good about my weekly reviews.

Hope this helps!

Saighterse

Registered
Since I work online, my employer shares the work related documents in Dropbox. This will allow me to easily access the files even if I'm using another computer. Personal files are kept in our desktop.

TomW

Registered
GTD on Flashdrive

When I was in your situation, I had my entire GTD System (Outlook + Excel lists + Digital Support Files) on a flash drive. The main part of the system (calendar, project list, NA list, etc.) was in Outlook and I had the Outlook PST file on the flash drive. I could open the PST file in Outlook on my employers computer in the morning, use and keep the system up to date for work all day, have the system available for personal things if needed (including personal email), and then take it home again on the flash drive. No copying/transferring -- the whole system was always up to date on the flash drive.

Important Note -- the flash drive was encrypted with a password
Another Important Note -- I backed up the flash drive at reasonable intervals

I did this for Outlook. I would think you could do this for whatever you are using. And of course, you can use this for support files.

Tom

TesTeq

Registered
Processing your personal stuff on your work computer...

TomW;105715 said:
When I was in your situation, I had my entire GTD System (Outlook + Excel lists + Digital Support Files) on a flash drive. The main part of the system (calendar, project list, NA list, etc.) was in Outlook and I had the Outlook PST file on the flash drive. I could open the PST file in Outlook on my employers computer in the morning, use and keep the system up to date for work all day, have the system available for personal things if needed (including personal email), and then take it home again on the flash drive. No copying/transferring -- the whole system was always up to date on the flash drive.

1. There are work environments where you are not allowed to use your personal flash drives.
  2. Processing your personal stuff on your work computer may violate your company's Security Policy.
  3. Processing your personal stuff on your work computer may be treated as an additional taxable non-cash fringe benefit.
  4. Processing your personal stuff on your work computer leaves traces.

ArcCaster

Registered
separate work and home, both using simple text editors

ellobogrande;105383 said:
The best GTD system is the simplest one. QUOTE]

Agreed!

For a few years I used a single system on my work computer using Outlook Tasks.

Currently, I have separated my work system from my home system. Both systems use simple editors (I am using Word, but any editor will do). I really like it -- editors are easy to search, easy to cut and paste, easy to enter and edit, easy to sort and prioritize. Currently, my work system has three projects: my goals for this quarter. My non-work system has all the other stuff. At work, because there are so few projects, I have a single file with both projects and tasks. At home, I have separate files for projects, for tasks, and for completions (once it is done, I don't want it taking up space in my current files anymore -- but I don't want to just delete it eitiher)

I thoroughly agree -- simple is good!

Regards,
Rob

cwoodgold

Registered
ellobogrande;105383 said:
A system with the ability to link actions and projects and reference materials together is far more cool than it is useful. The best GTD system is the simplest one. ... If you're ok with just managing reminders of your outcomes and actions then you can consolidate your reminders into one system (preferred).

Well said, ellobogrande.

On my work system, I often have commands set up so that I can just type the name of the project (essentially), and it will take me to a file with all the main links needed for that project. Or I store these links in cross-referenced computer files and/or an easily searchable wiki, etc. So in my next actions list I usually just need to mention the project or action.

On the other hand, I often also write the directory (path) or the command
on the next action because
I feel more motivated if I actually see it rather than just being 99% sure I can
find it within a few seconds.