Selecting the next action to process

RomanS

Registered
When selecting the next action to process, context and time are followed by available energy. Although plausible and understandable in theory, this third criterion - energy - always gives me trouble in practice.

Now I think I have found a modification of it that works for me: After context and time, I choose that task whose completion relieves me the most mentally. These are often things that I find hard to get out of my head, even if I have written them into my trusted system. This brings me close to prioritizing by intuition, as described by David Allen.

How are you doing with the available energy as a criterion? What do you think about my variation of it?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Tom_Hagen

Registered
How are you doing with the available energy as a criterion? What do you think about my variation of it?
Energy level meter
If you are lying down and you do not want to get up for a beer - low energy.
If you are lying down and then standing up to grab a beer but you are asking yourself what for? - average energy
If you lie down and get up and don't ask yourself why you got your beer - lie back, you just wanted to drink. ;)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I choose that task whose completion relieves me the most mentally.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I like your approach, because if doing the task relieves me mentally, I believe it also automatically frees up more energy. Yes, it used some time, but within the available contexts it also may have expanded my choices about what's next.

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered
You know, I just don’t think as hard as you people do about selecting what to do. Frogs are plentiful, and there‘s no getting it over with. It’s frogs, chocolate and coffee all day long. Occasionally a dragonfly because everyone needs chitin in their diet.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
You know, I just don’t think as hard as you people do about selecting what to do. Frogs are plentiful, and there‘s no getting it over with. It’s frogs, chocolate and coffee all day long. Occasionally a dragonfly because everyone needs chitin in their diet.
I agree with with this. I think the intuitive prioritization takes care of itself most days.