Set up in paper system.

Mucky mummy

Registered
Hi all,

New to the Gtd system, currently reading the book and have already watched a lot of resources read many articles.

I will finish the book but I'm already confused on one point.

I like a paper system and I don't function with listed on technology. So I already have a filing system and a planner. Inbox I currently use the notes function in my phone because I always have it with me. The planner I may not have it at every second of the day. So the area I struggle with is action points do you keep these in your planner or a separate notebook? Then the projects list and action points for those lists do they go into another notebook or is the list in the planner and lists filed away?

I want this to work so I'm trying to set myself up for success in 2021

GTDengineer

Registered
One key to the process is to always have the next actions list(s) accessible. At least you need the list which is relevant to your current context. For example, an @office list must be accessible when you are at the office.

The projects list can be checked once a week during the weekly review.

RS356

Registered
The GTD guide for organizing a paper planner is a great resource. A looseleaf system works for me. I'm able to keep my calendar, action and project lists, and reference materials in the same notebook, and I can reorganize pages when needed. For mobility, I'll often snap a picture of a list or take the sheet with me. No harm in using notes on your phone also, as long as you're processing them regularly.

Mucky mummy

Registered
Thanks guys. I have a hobonichi techno a6 so it has daily pages and note pages at the back. Do people find it better to have two books one for action points and the other as a planner?

OF user

Registered
The Techo should be used as your calendar. I don't recall if there are enough note pages in it to keep your lists in there for a whole year, so you may want to supplement this tool with a binder of loose-leaf paper. A notebook would also work, but you would need a robust index.

Sarahsuccess

Registered
Thanks guys. I have a hobonichi techno a6 so it has daily pages and note pages at the back. Do people find it better to have two books one for action points and the other as a planner?
In deciding whether to keep your next action lists in your planner or in a separate notebook you might want to consider the following:

I noticed that the pages in the hobonichi techno a6 are not removable. As you complete some next actions and add new ones, the lists will need to be updated. Eventually list pages will need to be replaced. You might want to consider that as you decide where to keep your next action lists.

Also, it is good to have your lists with you throughout your day because life happens and things change, and having your lists with you will help you be as efficient as you can, and make better decisions with whatever the day sends your way.

Last edited:

Ger80C

Registered
I second OF user's advice. You should supplement the techo - your calendar/hard landscape - with something with a register or with enough note paper pages to let you create various lists. It does not have to be fancy, or bound. loose leaf paper or even index cards clipped to the techo might be all you need. They would provide the benefit of being able to lay them out side-by-side on a table when you review your lists - not the worst form of gaining "perspective"...

Oh, and congratulations on the techo. I always wanted to try Hobonichi products. I hear they sell out rapidly.

Mucky mummy

Registered
I second OF user's advice. You should supplement the techo - your calendar/hard landscape - with something with a register or with enough note paper pages to let you create various lists. It does not have to be fancy, or bound. loose leaf paper or even index cards clipped to the techo might be all you need. They would provide the benefit of being able to lay them out side-by-side on a table when you review your lists - not the worst form of gaining "perspective"...

Oh, and congratulations on the techo. I always wanted to try Hobonichi products. I hear they sell out rapidly.
Thanks I love the paper and the layout of the planner however i split my planner between personal and work as I like a clear line between the two. The techno is my personal as my work planner is just kept at work. Currently my plan is techo Calender with a notebook both a6 for on the go. Projects in my project and lists planner and then I also have a budget planner but I would hope to move the projects into one disc bound planner. It kinda of feels excessive but a5 is heavy with all items in it and when I put all notes in one notebook in a6 it feels excessive to have them on the go. Any thoughts on that thought I'm open to. I dont like rings but never tried discs so reluctant to spend the money until I have the system semi set.

devon.marie

Registered
I'm a big fan of these A6 Muji notebooks - they're cheap, thin, and have quality paper. They're the same size as your techo, so you can keep your lists in one or more of these and carry it with your techo easily. You may even be able to squeeze one into a techo case if you use one.