Sharing Outlook with Assistant !

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by persistence, Jun 13, 2018.

1. persistence

persistence Registered

Hi...is there a way that my assistant can view certain sections of my outlook 2016 online in order to help me.If so how would this be set up.

Thks

2. hwend

hwend Registered

VP Customer Success and Support
  3. John Ismyname

John Ismyname Registered

Hi Persistence; I think you mentioned you use Outlook with Outlook365. I think you can have a shared calendar in this. That is your assistant could use shared calendaring to manage your schedule. Also a shared contacts directory. Your assistant and all reports should use Outlook's task system. The robust functionality of Outlook tasks is great for GTD for yourself and task delegation and monitoring of others.

4. persistence

persistence Registered

Does Outlook allow assistant to view or share my Task.
    If yes how would i set this up.

Thks

5. John Ismyname

John Ismyname Registered

Outlook task lists should not be shared. First a quick lesson in the Outlook-Tasks module. You can have multiple task lists. The ToDo list is a unified view of all of them for the individual user only. That is you, persistence, have tasks that you are going to get done yourself and you have tasks that you are going to delegate to your assistant (but are still ultimately responsible for). Outlook lets you differentiate these to two types of tasks and manage through delegation and monitoring.

Try this yourself with your assistant today. In Outlook, create a task by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+K - a new Task window opens. Click the "Assign Task" button, enter the email for your assistant, create the task.Your To-Do list can be grouped by what you are going to do and what your assistant is going to do. A task you delegated to your assistant can, in turn, be delegated to yet another delegatee and Outlook keeps track of it.

P.S., I'm going by memory on this - If I recall, the delegation management feature in Outlook only works on tasks in your default tasks folder. While I have a work-around for this, it's not worth getting into.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018