Should we have more vertical specialty discussio

A

Anonymous

I know there are a good number of gtd-related forums out there. Would it help if we created more here? For example, we could have a Palm-specific forum, an Outlook-specific forum, a Lotus Notes-specific forum, etc.

Please let us know your feedback and if you have an idea for a forum you'd like to see, share it!

Thanks!

Webmaster

A

Anonymous

That's a great idea! How about an Ecco-specific discussion forum.

-Steve

J

JohnParlabane

I think more speciality specific discussion groups would be a good idea. I believe this site could become a "watershed" site for all the GTDers out there.

A

Anonymous

Vertical Discussions

I would really appreciate a Lotus Notes Forum.

A

awebber

I would be interested in seeing one for a paper-based implementation.

Alan

DayneB

Registered
Isn't this forum divided into subtopics already? To rwichmann, I also use PocketInformant for implementing GTD. See the GTD and PocketPC thread.

U

Unregistered

a Lotus Notes-specific forum!!

Anonymous said:
I know there are a good number of gtd-related forums out there. Would it help if we created more here? For example, we could have a Palm-specific forum, an Outlook-specific forum, a Lotus Notes-specific forum, etc.

Please let us know your feedback and if you have an idea for a forum you'd like to see, share it!

Thanks!

Webmaster

a Lotus Notes-specific forum........please!!

kewms

Registered
I vote no. The software tools have their own user forums already. Why fracture those communities? I come here for platform-agnostic GTD stuff.

Katherine

C

CKH

I do not want to complicate my "@ computer" routine any more than it already is. I have 3 email addresses and two forums that I participate in. No more, PLEASE! Why not have threads, as I've already seen here, for these particular software things? As a paper user, I simply don't open/read the software messages, but I do read the general information/interest and paper-based ones. IMNSHO, the forum is OK as is, except that I can't do bold, ital, or color anymore with this new language it's posted in!

Cynthia

[General] This is a title for a general topic

Could we agree on using a list of standard topics, like

[Paper]
[Outlook]
[Palm]
[Ecco]
[Lotus_Note]
[General]
[Off_Topic]

and the like.

When starting a new thread the individual user could build titles like:

"[Paper] I love index cards"
"[Outlook] Please help with Add-In"
"[Palm] Writing on my PDA"
"[Ecco] What the hell is Ecco?"
"[Lotus_Note] How to use it with GTD?"
"[General] Just started with GTD and have no clue"
"[Off_Topic] A Rockstar Ate my Hamster!"

The reader would see if [xxxx] is of interest for her/him and decide to read or not. And we would not have to split up the forum.

What do you say?

Rainer

C

CKH

Es gefällt mir sehr! Yeah, I like it! Tres jolie! Muy amable!

Danke schön, Rainer!

Cynthia

ceehjay

Registered
Yep, you can still pretty up your posts

bold
italics
red
blue
green
purple
orange
pink

Use [ b ] and [ /b ] without spaces for bold.
[ i ] and [ /i ] for italics.
[ color = red ] and [ /color ] specifying color you want to use (see names above)

Carolyn

M

mscudder

Davidco Forum Editing Options

CKH said:
except that I can't do bold, ital, or color anymore with this new language it's posted in!

Cynthia

1. select Quick Links->Edit Options
  2. scroll down to Miscellaneous Options
  3. in the Message Editor Interface dropdown list select one of Basic Editor, Standard Editor, or Enhanced Interface
  4. Save Changes
Regards,
Michael

U

Unregistered

segue jeopardy

One of the most pleasurable aspects of following a discussion is watching the evolution of thoughts in members of a group. It's nonlinear and, IMO, at its best when unrestricted by specific topical constraints. Having fora breakdowns by variety of software assures less reading of individual posts, and less exposure to diverse ideas. I don't want presifted input, tightly categorized; I want to stumble across something I'd never sought out and find myself enlightened, amazed, or amused. On the contribution side, I'd be less inclined to post for fear that I'm going to say something OT and annoy everyone. Although judging from this post, that fear isn't too effective at staying my hand. :)

Whatever happened to the concept of interdisciplinary thought, of intellectual cross-pollination?

MsftMan

Registered
DayneB said:
Isn't this forum divided into subtopics already? To rwichmann, I also use PocketInformant for implementing GTD. See the GTD and PocketPC thread.

O'tay, I have to jump in and give a shout out for Agenda Fusion!

ceehjay

Registered
I read online, so the fewer forums, the faster and easier for me. I've been quite content with the way it's set up. If I want to find information on a specific topic, or software, the search function has worked just fine.

Carolyn

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I'd like to ask what is the intended outcome in setting up separate areas for each different implementation of GTD? Is it to make searching easier for people who are new to the community, or is it to create more interaction in each of those areas or is it for some other reason.

I have been to some web forums where there are so many different sections that it is sometimes difficult to know which one to post in (e.g. would someone post a question related to synching their palm with outlook in the outlook forum or the palm forum). Would we subdivide pocket pc into vanilla, agenda fusion and pocket informant? Also the traffic can get very low in some areas resulting in even fewer people posting in those areas.

I am a PPC user but I still read a lot of the Palm threads because a) a PDA is a PDA at some level, and b) who knows, maybe I will get a Treo when I next upgrade my PDA - I like to know what is available on each platform.

Finally I would go with one of the philosophies of GTD - reduce the number of buckets to a minimum - this is far more simple to figure out where something is.

I can see some potential value in at least creating a paper implementation section - so one could have

i) general methodology, understanding and thinking process

ii) software implementation of GTD - Desktops and PDA's

iii) Paper Implementation of GTD

Oh - and one other possible suggestion - perhaps a separate area for discussing GTD in the context of 20,000 feet and higher.

Paul

N

Nikita

Agendus. OneNote. Levenger Circa.

PDA, computer, paper. The general principles are the same within each medium.

There are forums for Agendus, say, but generally they're not much help in trying to stuff GTD mechanisms within the software constraints. So you have to reconceptualize, tweak, etc. But the limitations for each kind of thing are similar.

C

ChuckR

I like the forums of on this site for the very reason that they are not too narrowly defined - it lets me come across things that I would not otherwise even look at in a segmented forum that I am generally not interested in.