Sidekick

A

Anonymous

Like what they already said in that review, from my point of view the biggest drawback is there will be no 3rd party apps. 3rd party apps are one of my main reasons for using Palm currently.

At some time, I was thinking the time will come where I will purchase a PDA like Sidekick is (mobile+PDA), but nowadays, I am more favorably looking for Abacus PDA wrist watch - if they will ever manage to release it.

E

eigenwave

Re: Sidekick

Blake said:
I haven't seen anything mentioned regarding Sidekick use with GTD applications. Is anyone using this device in conjunction with GTD?

Pros/Cons?

(I'm considering buying one.)

Sidekick info: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/TechTV/techtv_sidekickPDAreview030829.html

Thanks,
BB

I'm currently using a grayscale Sidekick (SK) and implementing the GTD method using the Notes application. The SK is a simple but very capable little device. Yeah, it doesn't have a high-resolution screen. Yeah, it doesn't have the backing of over 10,000 applications. Yeah, one can't synchronize the data with a desktop application. For what it does, it works for me.

I was using Life Balance (LB) from Llamagraphics on the Palm OS platform for over 4 years and implemented the GTD method; but it was cumbersome to work with. I always went back to LB because it seemed to integrate nicely with my life; however, the simplicity of GTD was ironically overwhelmed by the complexity of LB. As a result, I decided to really simplify matters by reviewing the fundamentals of GTD -- context-based lists.

After reviewing David's book, I'd setup my lists (in the Notes application) according to his most common categories such as "Calls," "At Computer," "Agendas," and so on, just to get started. I then added a few more categories to suit my lifestyle and needs. To my surprise, I was able to function and implement GTD without a lot of muss and fuss. Furthermore, since there weren't a lot of gee-wizz features within the Notes application, I was able to focus at the task at hand -- manage my lists. Now, I can most certainly do this in the Memo application of the Palm OS; but I was always distracted by the other cool applications. Working within purely notes reduced this, and I'm now only carrying one device. Actually, I still carry my Palm OS device around, but not on my person. I still have other useful applications such as finance and outlines that I'd like to keep. But for just going around town, I pickup the Sidekick.

This path may not be for everyone, but after a few years of searching for the perfect device, it's amazing how applying just the fundamentals using a simple text application really goes a long way.

-Rod