Slice of GTD Life with a college professor

S-Tolland

Registered
Have just listened to the recording and it was really interesting - some great tips for all GTDers, academic or otherwise.

Just wanted to say thank you to ProfessorSue for the insight into your system.

PS. I must agree that the mesh zip bags are almost indestructible and really useful! :D

ProfessorSue

Registered
It was fun

Even though I kept thinking afterwards of things I didn't say (like advice I have given to our department administrator about separating "in" email from "project support" email), it was fun. Thanks for your comments.
About the mesh bags: my declawed cat has invented another use for them -- as a substitute for the scratching post of her earlier days!

Barb

Registered
Looking forward to listening!

Just put my Dad on a plane and have been looking forward to listening to your interview ever since it was posted. Hopefully I can grab a little time to myself today and do just that!

Barb

Registered
Bravo! Bravo!

Sue,
Your interview was great! Lots of detail, lots of honesty...I loved it!!

I'm going to have to give some thought to how I might use the mesh bags. I have two declawed cats..but one of them loves to chew on things. I will ponder, though.

BjornLjunggren

Registered
Great interview!

Great Interview! Felt like 27 minutes was not enough, it felt like there was great depth and perspective on GTD. Maybe a follow up in the future?
:D

Oogiem

Registered
Which Tough Traveler Bag?

Loved the interview, very interesting.

Which model/style of the tough traveler bag do you carry?

ProfessorSue

Registered
Tough Traveler details

Oogiem;93803 said:
Which model/style of the tough traveler bag do you carry?

I use the Megafolio in burgundy color, which is the first one that appears at http://www.toughtraveler.com/lug/brief.asp

I've been using Tough Traveler bags for many years, since my son was a kid (decades ago) and his private school contracted with our local Tough Traveler in Schenectady, NY to produce the mandatory school bags. They are very durable. This particular model is big enough to hold several of the GTD mesh bags, and it is essentially my permanent "office" whether I am at home or gone. I trust that everything I'm currently working on is in it.

Love your contact, Oogie. I think it's amazing that our very different occupations converge in the GTD Connect forum. I always read your postings with great interest!

Sue

Oogiem

Registered
ProfessorSue;93812 said:
I use the Megafolio in burgundy color,

Interesting. They look a lot like Caribou's. They were issued to us at a place my husband and I both worked at. Tough cordura, lots of accessible pockets but lightweight, great briefcases, Our's have finally died, some 20 years later.

ProfessorSue

Registered
Durable

Oogiem;93813 said:
Interesting. They look a lot like Caribou's. They were issued to us at a place my husband and I both worked at. Tough cordura, lots of accessible pockets but lightweight, great briefcases, Our's have finally died, some 20 years later.

I'm sure Tough Traveler would also last 20 years! This model has more inner pockets than I need or use, most of the time, unless I'm traveling.

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Reading?

Hi Prof. Sue,

Thanks for the great slice of GTD life! I got some useful things out of it. Do you have any more tips as to how you tackle the vast amount of reading we academics have to do?

Thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
GTDAcademic;93967 said:
Hi Prof. Sue,

Thanks for the great slice of GTD life! I got some useful things out of it. Do you have any more tips as to how you tackle the vast amount of reading we academics have to do?

Thanks!

I've struggled with reading and the related issue of reference management. In my field we have very good on-line tools (arxiv.org and spires), but they don't take the place of a personal system. Any tips from anyone would be welcome.

Mtk8

Registered
reason for reading / capture thoughts from reading

I agree -- keeping up with reading and doing it efficiently is a constant struggle in academia. My system for this isn't perfect, but I've found couple of things to be useful:

1) What's the reason for reading it? A good piece of advice I got from one of my mentors was to always ask yourself why you should read something and to only read a full article/chapter/book etc. if you can articulate a good reason for doing so. In general, good reasons for reading for me fall into one of three categories: 1) I need to read it for something I'm currently writing; 2) I need to read it for something that I'm currently teaching; 3) it is so closely tied to my area of research that I need to know about it in detail. Aside from that, I've learned to be comfortable with reading the abstract and capturing a note that the article exists (see below) in case I need it later.

2) What do I need to capture from this reading for later on? A second key thing for me is to write down whatever thoughts the reading triggers that I might use for a project now or later, with the goal of not having to re-read (or at least not re-read completely) in the future. If it is an idea for a paper I'm currently writing or a paper/grant/study idea where I've got a someday/maybe created, I make a note in either my project supporting materials or in the word processing document for the paper. If it is something for use in a course, I capture it in my files for that course. The key thing for capture is to write down enough to remember later what the note means and what to do with it (e.g., John Doe (2011) p. XXX -- point about blah blah blah relates to point X in our intro -- reference and tie to argument on XXX).

Neither of these things perfectly solve the problem of too much to read and remember, but they've both eased some of the load for me. Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas!

--Marc

ProfessorSue

Registered
GTDAcademic;93967 said:
Do you have any more tips as to how you tackle the vast amount of reading we academics have to do?

Good question! It's impossible to read everything. I mostly read things that are directly connected with a "do" project, and generally make note of what to read and delay the actual reading until I'm immersed in the project. I have a textbook that comes out in a new edition every 3 or 4 years, and between deadlines, I have both paper and electronic folders of each chapter, or major heading within a chapter if there's going to be a lot of revision. I file materials -- links, abstracts, full text articles, in those folders. As the years have passed, more and more of this is simply electronic, which saves space and makes searching easier. When time permits, I rejuvenate my thoughts by looking at the relevant folder before teaching that material in class, and draft new paragraphs if time permits, even if there isn't a near deadline to deliver to the publisher. I find that by "chunking" my reading on a topic, I process the reading more deeply and remember it much better.
And then, of course, come the mountains of student papers to read -- that, of course, is done under deadline pressure, but that isn't what you meant, I'm sure. When a student paper cites a source that looks relevant to my own academic interests, I note that, either in the paper or electronic file, or (more recently) in an OmniFocus item for the relevant project.
I also keep PDF copies of some articles that I want to read on my iPad or Kindle, thinking I may be able to read them in odd moments -- but that seldom comes to fruition.
Let me know if you find additional tips on reading!

TesTeq

Registered
What a great Slice of GTD Life!

What a great Slice of GTD Life!

Thank you for a very interesting information about your workflow and GTD system implementation.

Mary Jane Russell

Registered
Filemaker question

Greetings Professor Sue, from a higher ed administrator!

I'd love to learn more about how you use Filemaker for your recurring tasks. I've recently downloaded the demo and played around with it a bit. I use Outlook for my main GTD system, but don't want to clutter up Outlook with the daily mundane tasks of my business or personal life, but could use a nice checklist. I couldn't seem to figure out how to make tasks "recur" in Filemaker ... could you elaborate a bit how you built your daily 'dashboard' of those types of tasks? Thanks!