Slice of GTD Life with Becky DeWaters

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
Becky DeWaters gives us a detailed look into her OmniFocus system. She also shares what she has learned about the relationships between goals, areas of focus, projects, and next actions. She mentions plenty of illustrative examples, and weaves helpful metaphors into the discussion.

Video

Audio

cfoley

Registered
I was just wondering if transcripts are available for the audio on these Slice of GTD Life episodes, or indeed all the audio episodes.

One of my favourite things is to listen to the GTD podcast in the car. I listened to this interview with Becky DeWaters the other day and was really impressed by some of the insights that she shared, and enjoyed the analogies that she used. I would love to be reminded of some of them in the future. The thing is, I sit here a few days later and can't bring any of them to mind. My plan is to listen to the podcast again, this time at my desk with pen in hand. Unless, of course, there is a transcript available, in which case I could just scan it for the things that stood out to me.

This is not uncommon for me with the GTD Connect podcasts. I listen while driving so capturing insights is difficult. Sometimes I pull over to take a note but that isn't always possible. Transcripts would be tremendously helpful.

Failing officially sanctioned transcripts, I might be up for trying an automated transcription service myself. Has anyone here used one that they would recommend?

Murray

Registered
I can say from my limited experience of creating transcripts that it is a huge amount of work to do it properly. I would assume that if a GTD staff member or passionate volunteer were already performing that service then the results of it would be displayed prominently along with the links to recordings that we get here.

Doing this kind of volunteering work would actually be an amazing way to engage more deeply with the GTD Connect audio/video content.

cfoley

Registered
Thanks for the perspective. Creating transcripts is not something I have done before. I might look into an automated transcription service. My hunch is that it will be fine for my purposes but probably not good enough to publish officially.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
@cfoley thanks for asking about this. Currently it's a bit pricey to get really high quality transcripts. There are free options, but the quality really suffers. The good news is that this has gotten much better in the last few years. I think the quality will go up and the price will come down enough that we'll be offering transcripts before too long.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi John, thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear that it has been on your radar.
Yes indeed. I'm watching it. May test some non-human transcripts on you and the GTD Connect audience for your feedback. It could be that my standard is too high for how the transcript will be used.